Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Genesis G70

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-17, 02:07 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no 'rile' intended i really thought this g70 was bigger. as for the is, i do think this g70 is way better looking.
My apologies for sounding so brash.

This reminds me that if currently their smallest sedan offering is G70, then they didn't leave much room for larger vehicles associated with larger number since G80 and G90 are taken. Perhaps they're done with sedans though, the premium luxury utilitiy vehicles will be a big focus.
Old 09-16-17, 04:24 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Nice job by Genesis for 1st generation car. They will only get better.

Who would have ever imagined Hyundai / Genesis with more advanced powertrains than Lexus.
Old 09-16-17, 05:10 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yep, that's what I've been most critical of and everyone thinks I'm just bashing Toyota. It's a reality and why I'm not driving one now.

The best engine they have now was partially designed by Yamaha and the new Supra will likewise be designed by someone else lol. I honestly believe Toyota just lost its edge in engine development. They put so much resources on hybrids, that they lost touch with anything that can actually go fast or even drive well.

That's also why the new LS will be slow and Lexus' published HP and torque numbers are meaningless. Look at the IS200t. It's rated rather well. Has what 258 lb-ft of torque and high HP numbers. These power numbers in any other German competitor can accelerate it to well under 6 seconds yet this engine in a tiny IS would have a hard time beating a minivan, haha.

Look across their entire lineup, it's all slow. Compounded by the fact that their published numbers aren't reality and they're even slower. Well-suited for geriatrics, I guess.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Nice job by Genesis for 1st generation car. They will only get better.

Who would have ever imagined Hyundai / Genesis with more advanced powertrains than Lexus.
Old 09-16-17, 05:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
My apologies for sounding so brash.
no worries, you're one of the politest people on here

This reminds me that if currently their smallest sedan offering is G70, then they didn't leave much room for larger vehicles associated with larger number since G80 and G90 are taken. Perhaps they're done with sedans though, the premium luxury utilitiy vehicles will be a big focus.
Well 90's large, the 80 ain't small and now this so i don't think they need anything between, but i could imagine them having a 40 or something at some point although i bet the emphasis is on utes next.
Old 09-16-17, 05:33 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I guess I am missing what everyone else is seeing. To me the biggest offense is the headlights not matching the grill and the lower intakes. There's horizontal lines, vertical lines, diagonal lines... and literally nothing lines up with the other features. No continuity. I find it to be pretty messy. But whats hilarious is the rest of the car looks 2005 midsize sedan boring.
Old 09-16-17, 05:36 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Quick walk around

Quick walk around of the G70.
Mute the annoying music

Old 09-17-17, 11:15 AM
Bogglo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks better in the video.
Old 09-17-17, 02:36 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Don't like this car, took design cues from too many of it's competitors and sadly the mish mash lines does not create any cohesiveness both inside and outside.
Old 09-17-17, 04:01 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Any reports on pricing and actual availability?
Old 09-17-17, 08:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
I guess I am missing what everyone else is seeing. To me the biggest offense is the headlights not matching the grill and the lower intakes. There's horizontal lines, vertical lines, diagonal lines... and literally nothing lines up with the other features. No continuity. I find it to be pretty messy. But whats hilarious is the rest of the car looks 2005 midsize sedan boring.
i disagree with absolutely every word of your post.

watch that walkaround video posted after your post...
Old 09-17-17, 08:30 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Originally Posted by EXE46
Don't like this car, took design cues from too many of it's competitors and sadly the mish mash lines does not create any cohesiveness both inside and outside.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i disagree with absolutely every word of your post.

watch that walkaround video posted after your post...
I had the horn for the midsize Genesis G80, and I was expecting a lot more from this compact G70, but oh well, that's life; Lexus and Genesis still seem to style cars with less consistency than the Germans.
Old 09-18-17, 10:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

This new Genesis is going to be about successful as the Infiniti offering in the segment. A big meh.

Biggest winners: Mercedes and BMW, won't lose any sales

Biggest loser's: Lexus IS and Infiniti.

Some loss for Audi.

The overall market is shrinking. This won't do all that well.
Old 09-18-17, 10:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I would guess that if the G70 does as well as the Infiniti Q50, Hyundai/Genesis would be quite pleased.
Old 09-18-17, 10:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This new Genesis is going to be about successful as the Infiniti offering in the segment. A big meh.
Originally Posted by JDR76
I would guess that if the G70 does as well as the Infiniti Q50, Hyundai/Genesis would be quite pleased.
The Infiniti Q50, though, has that (IMO) silly Adaptive electronic steer-by-wire option that a lot of people (including myself) have misgivings about.....even though there is supposedly a direct-mechanical backup if the electrics fail. The Genesis G70, even if not terribly popular, will at least not have that Achilles Heel around its neck.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-18-17 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-18-17, 10:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

The electronic steer by wire is an option that almost no cars have on it. I don't think its a liability for them as a model at all.

Quick Reply: 2019 Genesis G70