Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How a Car Radio Works

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-18, 03:44 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts
Default How a Car Radio Works

I took apart a Toyota radio to see what's inside and how it works. I made a short video on the simplified way it works, of course new radios are more complex:

The radio I took apart was a single DIN, AM/FM/CD radio:

How a Car Radio Works-ci2wetj.jpg

Radio lid removed:

How a Car Radio Works-ly4ragp.jpg

The main motherboard has a number of main components that make up the radio, including the antenna input, the demodulator, tuner, equalizer, micro-controller, amplifier, communication bus controller, human interface input/output, power distribution and CD ROM input:

How a Car Radio Works-ihgnsfo.jpg

Here's an overall system diagram of how things are laid out and work inside the radio:

How a Car Radio Works-0cyvdrf.jpg

Here's a closer look at the radio tuner (digital) and the demodulator:

How a Car Radio Works-fgp9dvn.jpg

If you remember physics class, AM stands for amplitude modulation, and FM stands for frequency modulation. Basically the amplitude or frequency of the radio waves are varied in order to carry a signal, which the demodulator turns into a voltage audio signal:

How a Car Radio Works-5uhxzl9.jpg

This is the back of the human interface board, including the LCD driver and buttons:

How a Car Radio Works-fzfxbef.jpg

Moving on to the CD drive, there's 3 motors, one to turn the CD, one to load the tray, and one to move the laser head along the radius of the disk:

How a Car Radio Works-apgzeui.jpg

Closer look at the laser head:

How a Car Radio Works-ajcacp6.jpg

Here's an overview of how it works, essentially light is reflected back based on the information burned onto the disk. A photo sensor pics up this light and turns that into usable information:

How a Car Radio Works-vson20g.jpg

How a Car Radio Works-khirrad.jpg

The last piece to a stereo is its output in the form of sound. This is done by repeatedly moving a paper cone back and forth at high frequency. This creates pressure waves in the air which we hear as sound.

The paper cone is controlled by an electromagnet:

How a Car Radio Works-7acxcnv.jpg

And that's pretty much the very basics of how a car stereo works!

How a Car Radio Works-rqncc4m.jpg

- Enjoy
Old 03-26-18, 04:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice post as usual.

I don't know why AM is still included in today's car-radios. Almost no one actually listens to it anymore. FM stereo took over decades ago, and, of course, more recently, Sirus/XM satellite radio. AM signals DO have the advantage of traveling further than FM signals, especially over and around obstacles (known as "Line-of-Sight" distance), although they usually are tinny-sounding, are less-clear in sound-clarity, and often have static, especially near lightning flashes in a storm (years ago, that was one way of telling if there were thunderstorms in the area that you couldn't physically see or hear yet). And, some of the added advantage of AM signals in distance is nullified by FCC regulations that force some radio stations to cut back their transmitting-power at night.

Perhaps the biggest advance in car radios, though (as with some other electronic devices), came back in the 1950s and early 60s, when the old vacuum-tubes inside the radios were replaced by more modern transistors. That meant instant-on and instant-off for the radios, without having to wait for the hot-running tubes to warm up when the set was turned on or cool off when turned off. Transistors, besides being far more efficient, also produced much less heat, so they didn't have to be periodically replaced like burnt-out tubes.

Car radios, at one time, were all more or less a standard size, and slipped in and out more or less standard-sized rectangular holes in the dash, which generally made it easy to change or upgrade one's unit (it also made them quite easy to steal). Newer units, of course, not only vary all over the place in size/shape/design, but are often permanantly-integrated into the dash's video-screen and wiring.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-26-18 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-26-18, 05:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't know why AM is still included in today's car-radios. Almost no one actually listens to it anymore.
I don't listen to it but at least until i last did there was more dedicate sports broadcasting and all talk stations on a.m. than f.m. But now sirius for those who subscribe has tons of all that and of course works driving coast to coast which is great. It is irritating though when you're stuck under and overlass and the signal goes out.
Old 03-26-18, 05:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

I don't listen to it but at least until i last did there was more dedicate sports broadcasting and all talk stations on a.m. than f.m. But now sirius for those who subscribe has tons of all that and of course works driving coast to coast which is great. It is irritating though when you're stuck under and overlass and the signal goes out.

Sirius XM radio, IMO, is somewhat overpriced, but, at least, is dependable (I've never lost service), crystal-clear in sound, not range-limited, and offers a lot of programming variety. I spend a lot of time on it listening to NPR, FOX News, Catholic/Christian programming/music, and local weather/news. GM, at one time, like it did with OnStar, gave you a year of XM free with a new vehicle.....then it was six months, now it's down to three.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-26-18 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-27-18, 10:13 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

AM still has some good stuff on it, WSM 650 is a lot of fun if you're into the oldies country music, bluegrass, americana etc. WSM is the original channel that still broadcasts the Grand Ole Opry from Nashville. On a clear night with a decent antenna I'm pretty sure it still broadcasts for a good 800-1000 miles from Nashville.

There's also a good bit of conservative talk radio on the AM band around where I live, but I can't listen to that crap for more than a couple minutes before I start yelling at the people who can't hear me lol.

What I find interesting about car stereos, is how much this stuff has come down in price. I mean in 1983, a good Alpine cassette deck was like $400 not adjusted for inflation. Now days you can buy a good single DIN reciever that bluetooths your calls, music, USB and aux inputs, CD player, more adjustments than you can shake a stick at for about $100. I think the main problem back in the day was its hard to make stuff small, even harder to make it small and cheap. I mean we still have home hi-fi gear from the 60's/70's/80's people collect/still use because it sounded that good and was that well made, but car stereos from that era, its all crap compared to newer gear IMO.

Last edited by Aron9000; 03-27-18 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-28-18, 06:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
But now sirius for those who subscribe has tons of all that and of course works driving coast to coast which is great. It is irritating though when you're stuck under and overlass and the signal goes out.

That's one of the few compromises you have to make with the higher-quality signals you get from FM and satellite. AM signals are more flexible over and under obstacles, but often sound like crap and have static.
Old 03-28-18, 12:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Where did you go to school! So many aspects (mechanical and electrical etc..) that you know about in these write-ups. Pretty cool
Old 03-29-18, 06:45 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Nice post as usual.

I don't know why AM is still included in today's car-radios. Almost no one actually listens to it anymore.
If car makers started discontinuing AM radio they'd be a huge push back from all the AM stations that still broadcast. I don't think there's much FM band left (depending on your area) to broadcast all the AM channels onto FM.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Where did you go to school! So many aspects (mechanical and electrical etc..) that you know about in these write-ups. Pretty cool
Thanks, I'm just a normal Mechanical Engineer who likes to take things apart and learn the practical way. We didn't learn this in school, as you are learning from my videos, I'm learning along the way myself. Of course, some background research helps before hand. And yes, I try to cover a wide range of automotive topics because I find it interesting.
Old 03-29-18, 10:00 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Great write up, speedkar9! Very interesting and informative. I was already familiar with the internal workings of ROM drives and disc media, but didn't know about the radio transmission part. Thank you again for sharing and taking the time to put the information together in an easily digestible format. It is not easy teaching others like you have done. It reminds me of an old adage along the lines of "if you truly want to test your knowledge, then try to teach". You have a good grasp of technical details and teach it well.

Sirius XM radio, IMO, is somewhat overpriced, but, at least, is dependable (I've never lost service), crystal-clear in sound, not range-limited, and offers a lot of programming variety. I spend a lot of time on it listening to NPR, FOX News, Catholic/Christian programming/music, and local weather/news. GM, at one time, like it did with OnStar, gave you a year of XM free with a new vehicle.....then it was six months, now it's down to three.
Uh, I don't know about the crystal clear sound, mmarshall. I just cancelled my SiriusXM trial subscription early because most of the channels are mediocre and the satellite sound quality is especially bad. It was as if everything is transmitted at 96 kbps or something. Every other source input in the LS 460 beats out SiriusXM in sound quality. I agree that the service is over-priced, especially for the subpar sound quality.
Old 03-30-18, 05:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Great write up, speedkar9! Very interesting and informative. I was already familiar with the internal workings of ROM drives and disc media, but didn't know about the radio transmission part. Thank you again for sharing and taking the time to put the information together in an easily digestible format. It is not easy teaching others like you have done. It reminds me of an old adage along the lines of "if you truly want to test your knowledge, then try to teach". You have a good grasp of technical details and teach it well.

Uh, I don't know about the crystal clear sound, mmarshall. I just cancelled my SiriusXM trial subscription early because most of the channels are mediocre and the satellite sound quality is especially bad. It was as if everything is transmitted at 96 kbps or something. Every other source input in the LS 460 beats out SiriusXM in sound quality. I agree that the service is over-priced, especially for the subpar sound quality.

My experience with Sirius XM reception, which has been mostly in Buicks, has been very good. If you have an LS460, especially with the Mark Levinson unit, you have what is (arguably) the best automotive stereo on the market. If I can get good satellite reception in Buicks, and you can't in an LS, then I just don't know what to say. Perhaps you and I have different ear-tuning, or different opinions on what is considered good stereo sound. Or, maybe you live and drive regularly near or under large obstacles and tunnels that can mask the satellite signals. Unlike AM signals, which are crappy-sounding but can go over obstacles for great distances, FM and satellite signals depend on an obstacle-free environment....which, with satellites being constantly overhead, is usually the case, but not always.
Old 03-30-18, 05:58 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

My experience with Sirius XM reception, which has been mostly in Buicks, has been very good. If you have an LS460, especially with the Mark Levinson unit, you have what is (arguably) the best automotive stereo on the market. If I can get good satellite reception in Buicks, and you can't in an LS, then I just don't know what to say. Perhaps you and I have different ear-tuning, or different opinions on what is considered good stereo sound. Or, maybe you live and drive regularly near or under large obstacles and tunnels that can mask the satellite signals. Unlike AM signals, which are crappy-sounding but can go over obstacles for great distances, FM and satellite signals depend on an obstacle-free environment....which, with satellites being constantly overhead, is usually the case, but not always.
I was very surprised at the difference in sound quality, mmarshall. We do have ML but I don't think I have super hearing. Actually, I am sure I don't after a series of exercises pointed out that I cannot distinguish between 320 kbps recordings versus uncompressed/lossless audio. However, I can hear a difference once compression drops to 128-160 kbps.

I listened to the SiriusXM trial for three weeks while driving all around town and I would equate the quality to regular FM when I'm not receiving an HD FM signal. I suppose that isn't as terrible as I make it out to be, but in the LS it sure does sound poor. Faced with so many other options I just don't see a compelling reason for SiriusXM. Glad you're enjoying the service.
Old 03-31-18, 05:50 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Thank you for posting this, this will help me immensely with my quest to install a after market radio in a 05 ls430 with nav and ml, awsome post.
Old 04-03-18, 06:50 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Thanks very much for the kind feedback. I learn as I go too and I enjoy doing this! A lot of people say I should become a teacher, but I think in front of a class I'd be dumbfounded. But hey, there's nothing wrong with knowledge!
Old 04-06-18, 06:21 PM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Some of us still like to listen to a baseball game once in a while.
Old 04-06-18, 06:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by natman
Some of us still like to listen to a baseball game once in a while.
Baseball is not broadcast on FM?

Quick Reply: How a Car Radio Works