Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

No One Is Buying The Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-18, 10:01 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
but the continental is doomed without a major overhaul (yes already) because it's just nothing special in any way, and the interior looks downright cheap and uninspired
agree 100%; lame, old Kia styling IMO.

Last edited by bagwell; 03-15-18 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-15-18, 10:07 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

uh continental starts $45k, LS500 starts $75k
Old 03-15-18, 11:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

this is what i mean by the continental interior being nothing special...

Old 03-15-18, 12:31 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I agree with you on the "dumpy butt" comment as it pertains to the Continental (it's one of a few reasons I hate the car from behind). However, I was also thinking that the S-class actually is a bit "dumpy" as well in the way the roof line goes to the trunk and the shape of tail lights, etc. I wonder why it looks acceptable/elegant on an S class and horrible on other cars.
You bring up a great point. Perhaps the difference is the Benz utilizes the more traditional "rounded" dumpy butt. The Lincoln tries to do the same, but with boxy, squared styling. So the lesson here is you can only pull off the ugly look with swoopy styling.
Old 03-15-18, 01:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

While I completely agree with you, at $37k for brand new 2017 model with AWD, it is a steal. It is actually cheaper in real life than base ES350.
Old 03-15-18, 04:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

On that note, I'll have to disagree. One idle shot simply doesn't do this interior justice. You have to sit in it and examine the materials and trim quality.....far better than anything we've seen from Lincoln in many years, except, of course, the new Navigator itself. I'm not saying it's necessarily better than the interior on the new LS500 (I haven't sat in the new LS interior, and can't comment, though I've heard good things about it). But this is is definitely not your bean counter's Lincoln LOL.
Old 03-15-18, 04:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

not saying it's a bad car, and spwolf, yeah 37k for awd version is a streal, but if this is lincoln's flagship, it needs more.

but maybe in today's world, the navigator is really the flagship.
Old 03-15-18, 04:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
On that note, I'll have to disagree. One idle shot simply doesn't do this interior justice. You have to sit in it and examine the materials and trim quality.....far better than anything we've seen from Lincoln in many years, except, of course, the new Navigator itself. I'm not saying it's necessarily better than the interior on the new LS500 (I haven't sat in the new LS interior, and can't comment, though I've heard good things about it). But this is is definitely not your bean counter's Lincoln LOL.
I have sat in both. The Ls500 has a nicer interior. If you disregard the materials, the design is more interesting in the LS. That said, I really like the Continental but the LS makes me ponder more. I do however think the Bridge of Wier is some nicer leather. Love the door handles of the Lincoln. And I don’t mind the styling.

What I still struggle with is why Ford is under the heat here by the press when the LS likely won’t sell better or more units

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-15-18 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-15-18, 04:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

not saying it's a bad car, and spwolf, yeah 37k for awd version is a streal, but if this is lincoln's flagship, it needs more.
Well, you can get a lot more.....if you go with a Black Label version. But, no, you aren't going to get the Black Label trim and customer perks for 40K.

but the navigator is really the flagship.
Oh, no question. But Navigators don't start below 40K, either.
Old 03-15-18, 05:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, you can get a lot more.....if you go with a Black Label version. But, no, you aren't going to get the Black Label trim and customer perks for 40K.
maybe they shouldn't sell a 40k or sub version... dilutes the image?
Old 03-15-18, 07:29 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What I still struggle with is why Ford is under the heat here by the press when the LS likely won’t sell better or more units
You cannot look at a sales number of 12,000 per year and say that it is a success or failure. You have to compare it to what the automaker's forecast is.

Lexus is forecasting 1000 LS sales per month (12,000 per year). Let's see what the actual sales are after a year. If sales are approximately 12,000 or greater, the new LS is a success but if lower than 12,000, it is a failure (and Lexus will likely reforecast, or adjust content or pricing).

I have not been able to find what Lincoln's forecast for the Continental was, but judging from all the hand-wringing and the worry about the threat of cancellation, I am led to believe that Lincoln was forecasting for much more sales than 12,000 per year. If 12,000 sales per year is less than Lincoln's forecast, the Continental is a failure.

From what I understand, the Continental was looked upon as Lincoln's saviour, helping to boost visibility and sales of Lincoln-branded vehicles. But if it is not meeting these expectations, it is a failure.
Old 03-15-18, 07:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
You cannot look at a sales number of 12,000 per year and say that it is a success or failure. You have to compare it to what the automaker's forecast is.

Lexus is forecasting 1000 LS sales per month (12,000 per year). Let's see what the actual sales are after a year. If sales are approximately 12,000 or greater, the new LS is a success but if lower than 12,000, it is a failure (and Lexus will likely reforecast, or adjust content or pricing).

I have not been able to find what Lincoln's forecast for the Continental was, but judging from all the hand-wringing and the worry about the threat of cancellation, I am led to believe that Lincoln was forecasting for much more sales than 12,000 per year. If 12,000 sales per year is less than Lincoln's forecast, the Continental is a failure.

From what I understand, the Continental was looked upon as Lincoln's saviour, helping to boost visibility and sales of Lincoln-branded vehicles. But if it is not meeting these expectations, it is a failure.
So what you are saying is that making money on the actual car is not important? Its the forecast that is? Why wouldn't every automaker just throw in a low forecast number and call it a success?
Old 03-15-18, 07:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

maybe they shouldn't sell a 40k or sub version... dilutes the image?

Possibly....for some people. But it wouldn't dilute the image for me.....I might have bought a base or lower-trim version myself, had it been a little better fit in my condo-spaces.
Old 03-15-18, 07:48 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So what you are saying is that making money on the actual car is not important? Its the forecast that is? Why wouldn't every automaker just throw in a low forecast number and call it a success?
Sales forecasts and pricing are not separately determined. Forecasts affect pricing, and pricing affects forecasts; and they are both affected by the market (competition), and how the new car was designed and built.

And all of this was planned (and re-planned) from Day One, when the project to design a new car is started and senior management states what they want in a new car.

It is not simple.
Old 03-15-18, 08:05 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Senior management changed at Ford and that signalled what was going to happen down to the brands. Ford/Lincoln is now a SUV/CUV company because that's what customers demand. Car companies used to be happy to stick to iconic brand names in the past, but that's not the reality today. You can have a profitable company like Ford, but if the only profit comes from pickup trucks and crossovers, there is very little you can do about sedans. The Continental was not worth a RWD platform gamble so it's going away. You just head over to Nautilus and Navigator if you want luxe in this class.

Quick Reply: No One Is Buying The Lincoln Continental