Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Base Cayman vs BRZ

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-18, 08:12 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

My choice would be the Cayman only because it's a very good balance between a handling machine and a comfortable cruiser. Not too many cars out there can do both and still put a big smile on your face.

If you can afford the Cayman, I'd definitely go with that.
Old 03-17-18, 10:35 AM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cross-shopped these two cars in 2012 and, since I could afford it, I went for the Cayman. I test drove an FR-S when they first were coming out and, having been spoiled by Lexus cars, just didn't care for the Scion interior/ dash etc. and also the 200 hp engine. If I had gone that way, I would have gone for the BRZ as the interior seemed a little nicer than the Scion.

After five years and 45K miles, I have no regrets and while I do like the 86 / BRZ, I'm not sorry I did not get one.

If you go for an older Cayman (or Boxster or 911), you need to be aware of the engines used. Starting in 2009, the 9A1 DFI engine (987.2) was introduced which is a much nicer more reliable engine. Older versions of the engines had some issues which can be addressed by after-market fixes. If you get one older than 2009, you should research that first.

The line was updated starting in 2014 to the 981 which is slightly bigger (more room inside) with a nicer interior. The 981 retains the 9A1 engine but switches from hydraulic to electric steering. Of course the latest versions have a new, turbo 4-cylinder engine about which I know little. I am happy to stay with my NA flat 6.

Maintenance is more than the Lexus but not hughly so. I've had a couple of minor issues that were fixed but most of my maintenance money went to tires / brake pads / fluids since I tracked the car several times (but still have original brake disks.). Now with 45K miles the car is fine and I plan to keep if for several more years.

The 987.2 cockpit is pretty small and I barely fit (6' 3"). Some don't like the small cockpit, but I do fit and I like it. When I drive the GS350 I feel like I'm in a big room dragging a couch in back everywhere that I seldom need - seems inefficient although gas milage is a bit better in the Lexus.

My least favorite aspect about the Cayman is road noise since the car is a hatch back and the wheel wells are in the cabin. When driving on cheap, course asphalt, the road noise can be annoying. But once out of the commute routes and out of the city, I find most roads much better and on high quality asphalt or concert, the car gets nearly as quiet as the Lexus. Also, On back roads when the weather is comfortable, I like to drive with the windows down in which case road noise is also not a issue. I would guess the BRZ is not much better at road noise, though.

You will get comments (i.e. at gas stations, etc.) which is fun sometimes and annoying other times.

You can shop for used Porsche cars at Excellence. While you need to own a Porsche to join PCA, you can get a partial membership to get access to their on-line classified ads which are mostly members selling their Porsche cars. PCA organizes a lot of events that are fun once you have your Porsche.
Old 03-17-18, 10:52 AM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GSteg
My choice would be the Cayman only because it's a very good balance between a handling machine . . .

Originally Posted by GSteg
. . . and a comfortable cruiser. . .

Old 03-17-18, 11:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I'd get the Cayman. I wouldn't even consider the BRZ compared to a Cayman. Cayman is what more special IMHO.
Old 03-17-18, 12:01 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Cayman is the better car if price is not a factor - but is it twice as good and is someone willing to buy one used and deal with out of warranty stuff. It all depends what you prioritize.

BRZ will give you 95% of the driving experience once you put some decent tires on it but can't match the engine power. If you plan to do 100mph+ driving or any drag races - BRZ is bad choice. Its a car that is fun because its great at the actual driving part. Direct steering, great shifter, low center of gravity, driving position etc. Cayman is faster and probably has much better plastics but the driving part is not that much different.

Another factor to consider is insurance - BRZ is dirt cheap to insure.

As far as useability - BRZ wins that by a mile over Cayman. It has full trunk, rear seats, plus huge space if you fold the rear seats, you can pretty much carry anything.
It gets amazing fuel economy even when you beat on it. It rides more comfortable than my M3 probably bec it has 17in rims and the suspension does a great job over potholes like we have in NYC. You can take this thing any road trip without issue.
The room inside is spacious in the front as far a legroom and headroom. 2 guys over 6'0 can go on a road trip and be very comfortable. Rear seats are for storage only or 5min ride.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 03-17-18 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-17-18, 12:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I think a lot of it depends on what your needs are for the car. Is it your only car? Do you need to take it on road trips? For me, this would not be a car that I would have any of those needs for, its a second or third car that you buy because you love it and you want to have fun with it. To me, no comparison which car has more appeal for that purpose, its the Cayman.

Now, clearly its way more expensive than the BRZ, and typically isn't something that most people would cross shop. Would I buy a used Cayman over a BRZ? No, because I'm not a used car guy. If I bought used I'd just get a 911.
Old 03-17-18, 02:43 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
. . .As far as useability - BRZ wins that by a mile over Cayman. It has full trunk, rear seats, plus huge space if you fold the rear seats, you can pretty much carry anything.
. . .
The room inside is spacious in the front as far a legroom and headroom. 2 guys over 6'0 can go on a road trip and be very comfortable. Rear seats are for storage only or 5min ride.

Just a couple notes on the this: Cayman has a hatchback area in back and trunk up front, so lots of room for a lot of stuff, although not quite as much contiguous space as BRZ with rear seats down. Also, the arched roof and lack of sunroof means more headroom in Cayman than even a Lexus. I could not wear a helmet in my IS-F because of the roof in the way, but helmet OK in Cayman. Plenty of room for 2 tall people and luggage for road trips in Cayman.
Old 03-17-18, 03:01 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

The other thing with Porsche even more so than all the other German brands is all the options that are extras.

BRZ Top line trim comes with Nav, backup camera, heated seats, LED headlights, keyless access, push button start, dual climate control etc. BRZ is really nice package and for $30k - its very hard to beat as an extra fun car.

For people that dont mind used and have good shop that can do maintenance then Cayman is a great alternative - i think the Cayman S ones with NA flat 6 and manual will hold their value for many years to come. Just find one thats well taken care of.
Old 03-17-18, 07:11 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'd get the Cayman. I wouldn't even consider the BRZ compared to a Cayman. Cayman is what more special IMHO.
I agree the Cayman is a far better car, looks, performance, quality etc.

However I’m also looking at cost which is not insignificant I have (will be) 6 cars, two houses, kids in private colleges so while I could afford a Cayman it’s not a slam dunk when a BRZ costs half.

I know you can buy a Cayman for $25k but it’s 8-9 years old.

I’m just looking to see if I’m better off with a cheaper car, I look at Cayman and people say get the newest and best like Cayman S that you can afford which I’m looking at $45K for a 3-4 year old Cayman S or $27K for a new BRZ or $18K for a used 30K mileage one. That’s a cool bit of cash difference.

I was on BRZ forum was an owner who had owned both, he was saying BRZ can do 90% of what a Cayman does for half or one third the cost.

I like a push button start, it’s sad on a $65K car that such a little thing is optional and most that I’m looking at did not have push button start, plus I don’t care for the key on the left side of the steering wheel. I know it’s tradition, Saab used to have key on the floor, to me odd locations of key ignition is not great and I’d rather it was in the normal position or have push button start better yet.

Last edited by rai; 03-18-18 at 05:41 AM.