Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda struggles to move the once-hugely-popular Accord

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-18, 02:17 PM
GS34B
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That car might be a massive improvement from its predecessor, but it is ugly AF.
Old 03-13-18, 02:32 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking at the Accord's numbers from last year, the previous generation car's big sales numbers all came in the latter half of last year. From year to year, the car is down by about 2500 to 4300 units for the two months of January/February. Whether it's the styling or the small displacement turbo drivetrains, the expectation is usually that a new Accord always gets the attention of midsize car buyers, just like the Camry does. Honda product planners are probably watching this very carefully.
Old 03-13-18, 05:00 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

I was having lunch with a friend who owns a 2014 accord now and as a new Accord passed by, she commented how hideous it looked. This friend has owned only Camrys and Accord her whole life. I share the same sentiments, that it's looks are a little appalling and very wagonlike (crosstour) in appearance. This reminds me of the backend snafu of the 2002-2005 Accord sedan where they had to redo it significantly for it's MMC in 2006. I expect an extensive MMC for this new Accord as well.
Old 03-13-18, 06:01 PM
praveenc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can the Civic-Based Platform even support a V6?

Aren't the CR-V and Accord based off the Civic? If so, they probably wouldn't be able to put in a V6. I do agree with others that they should add the NA 2.4; if the CR-V has it, then they should be able to add it to the Accord. High pricing and questionable styling are the biggest blunders, especially the latter.
Old 03-13-18, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by praveenc
Aren't the CR-V and Accord based off the Civic? If so, they probably wouldn't be able to put in a V6. I do agree with others that they should add the NA 2.4; if the CR-V has it, then they should be able to add it to the Accord. High pricing and questionable styling are the biggest blunders, especially the latter.

No. The CR-V is based off the Civic. The Accord, Pilot, and Odyssey, are on another platform.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-13-18 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-13-18, 07:26 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The relatively high price, and the lack of attractive financing and lease options are main reasons affecting sales, I believe. Other possible reasons have to do with the ability to attract showroom traffic to the Accord from other vehicles in the showroom.

Is there showroom traffic? Is it up or down since the recent replacement of the popular CR-V and Civic? If there is showroom traffic -- I have not read any complaints about a lack of showroom traffic -- is that traffic looking at the Accord and sitting in it?

If there is no traffic around the Accord, perhaps it is hidden by the CR-V and Civic; maybe the CR-V and Civic are more than good enough cars for Honda shoppers and there is no need for the Accord. (I do not believe that people shopping for the Pilot or Odyssey would be looking at the Accord.)

If, however, there is traffic around the Accord and shoppers are sitting in it, do they like it? Is it that much better than the other vehicles in the showroom (the CR-V and Civic, which are its most likely showroom competitors)? Or is it too expensive for what it offers and what else is in the showroom?

I do not believe that the other reasons mentioned play a big factor in low sales.

Unattractive looks - This may be keeping traffic away from the Accord in the showroom but I do not believe that it is a major factor. For every person who finds the Accord unattractive there will be another who likes the styling or is indifferent. Despite all the contributors to CL who say that Toyotas are unattractive, Toyotas consistently sell well, for example.

Only turbocharged engines available (no naturally-aspirated engine available) - If there is traffic and bums in Accord seats, I doubt that this is a big factor. I believe -- from observing my relatives relationships with their cars -- that "normal" drivers know very little or care about turbocharged engines. If the EPA / Transport Canada, backed up by the salesperson, gives the car a "good" fuel efficiency rating, that is good enough for these buyers. Any knowledge about the turbocharged engines -- their servicing requirements and their real-world fuel efficiency -- would come from word-of-mouth from friends and relatives, not auto media, which has been supportive of turbocharged engines.

But maybe the small displacement of the available engines -- only 1.5-litre and 2.0-litre engines -- are keeping people away. Its Japanese competitors -- Camry, Altima, Mazda6 -- all come with a larger, naturally-aspirated, 2.5-litre engine. Accord shoppers may be afraid that the small displacement engines (remembering that the "normal" car shopper does not really understand turbocharged engines) are not large enough.

Lack of V6 - Like turbocharged engines, I doubt that this is a big factor. V6 engines in mid-size sedans these days are there to attract enthusiasts and I doubt there are many enthusiasts shopping for Accords and Camrys.
Old 03-13-18, 07:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Lack of V6 - Like turbocharged engines, I doubt that this is a big factor. V6 engines in mid-size sedans these days are there to attract enthusiasts and I doubt there are many enthusiasts shopping for Accords and Camrys.
I respect your opinion, but that's where I at least partially disagree. People also buy V6s for refinement, not just power or 0-60 times. In fact, that's why I special-ordered the V6 I have...because Buick changed the standard powertrain this year to a hybrid-four.
Old 03-13-18, 07:47 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I respect your opinion, but that's where I at least partially disagree. People also buy V6s for refinement, not just power or 0-60 times. In fact, that's why I special-ordered the V6 I have...because Buick changed the standard powertrain this year to a hybrid-four.
The low uptake on the previous car's V6 option (just like on Camry) generally means that shoppers are probably worried more about fuel economy and then power/torque for everyday driving vs overall refinement. Certainly there is something to your point that a NA V6 is just smoother (especially the Camry engine). In your category of buyer, the V6 is essential because for that demographic, smoothness and refinement are more important than all out fuel economy and power.

As to why the Accord isn't moving right now, it's more a function of how Honda is pricing it and that there no substantial incentives to get buyers to sign the dotted line.

The mass movement to SUVs and CUVs has been ongoing for several years now, Accords still moved off dealership lots in brisk numbers despite that. Now they're not. Dealer inventories are at an all time high, and some dealers are refusing future deliveries because they've got too many Accords already. Apparently Honda does not want to throw cash at the problem right now because they invested heavily in this new car, and they need to recover all that.

Last edited by MattyG; 03-13-18 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-13-18, 08:03 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Seen several in person and I have to say, in person it is not nearly as bad looking as it is in the pics. But still they could do better than this.
Old 03-13-18, 08:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I agree with you on the part with refinement, however power is main reason for a V6 in the Camry segment. Refinement comes with it but 301 horses is the selling point. Remember there was a time when the Camry offered two different V6 engines with different power ratings along with the base 4. Lexus does that now with the IS.

Now with your Buick LaCrosse, it’s all about the refinement and smoothness. Power is important to but secondary. A 4 cylinder in this type of car is unacceptable.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-13-18 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-13-18, 08:59 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

No. The CR-V is based off the Civic. The Accord, Pilot, and Odyssey, are on another platform.
NOT accurate, as the Accord definitely now shares the same modular architecture as the Civic since September 2017. This has been highlighted for 5 years, when Honda began developing this generation and also signed off on the current Civic. It has been the plan for Civic, CR-V and Accord since 2011-12 to differentiate Acura.
Old 03-13-18, 09:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
the Accord definitely now shares the same modular architecture as the Civic since September 2017.
Yes, some research showed that you are (now) correct. First time, though, I can ever remember the Accord and Civic being on a common platform since they were first sold here in the 1970s. There's no doubt that the Civic, though, has grown enormously.....IMO it is now a mid-size car.
Old 03-13-18, 11:47 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Yes, some research showed that you are (now) correct. First time, though, I can ever remember the Accord and Civic being on a common platform since they were first sold here in the 1970s. There's no doubt that the Civic, though, has grown enormously.....IMO it is now a mid-size car.
Straying a bit off topic, but just as new Civic & new Accord share platforms - does the next generation Corolla share TNGA GA-K platforms with the Camry too?

Old 03-14-18, 05:27 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I always thought that V6's were unrefined by design, yet a necessary evil in a world of FWD? More parts and vibration, than an inline 6. Wasn't there a time (I am not positive) that in the very same car, it could have a V6 or an I6? I had a 1970 LeMans with a 250 I-6 that was given to me at over 20 years old, smooth as silk. It seems that marketing has overpowered physics professors (megapixel conundrum). Yes, it does seem the V6 is perfect for FWD cars because it's compact, but that's about it. Which is why I think there is a question about deploying such motors in the new LS and new S class etc.

V8's also don't have primary balance, but in practice, they are smooth due to the crank. I think there's a reason that the 15.6 liter truck motors are I6 and not V6. On V6's, there's nothing that can be done with the odd # of pistons on each side (3), that's physics. my .02.
Old 03-14-18, 05:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I always thought that V6's were unrefined by design, yet a necessary evil in a world of FWD? More parts and vibration, than an inline 6. Wasn't there a time (I am not positive) that in the very same car, it could have a V6 or an I6? I had a 1970 LeMans with a 250 I-6 that was given to me at over 20 years old, smooth as silk. It seems that marketing has overpowered physics professors (megapixel conundrum). Yes, it does seem the V6 is perfect for FWD cars because it's compact, but that's about it. Which is why I think there is a question about deploying such motors in the new LS and new S class etc.

V8's also don't have primary balance, but in practice, they are smooth due to the crank. I think there's a reason that the 15.6 liter truck motors are I6 and not V6. On V6's, there's nothing that can be done with the odd # of pistons on each side (3), that's physics. my .02.
Its all relative. In this case it’s V6 and I4. In the Accord and Camry segment. Is a V12 smooth and more refined than a V8?

Quick Reply: Honda struggles to move the once-hugely-popular Accord