Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda struggles to move the once-hugely-popular Accord

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-18, 05:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
IMO what the Accord needs is a normally-aspirated V6....what it used to have. But everyone is bending to the CAFE rules nowadays.

V6 is just for fun, not really sales. Toyota said that they estimate that 8% of new Camrys will be V6.
Old 03-13-18, 07:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
V6 is just for fun, not really sales.

That, I don't totally agree with. Yes, a V6 can be fun, but it's also for refinement.
Old 03-13-18, 07:28 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That, I don't totally agree with. Yes, a V6 can be fun, but it's also for refinement.
I don't think anyone will argue that the V6 isn't smoother than a 4 cylinder. but spwolf is correct that the V6 makes up a fairly small mix of Camry sales. So the Accord adding a V6 wouldn't miraculously boost sales volume.
Old 03-13-18, 07:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
I don't think anyone will argue that the V6 isn't smoother than a 4 cylinder. but spwolf is correct that the V6 makes up a fairly small mix of Camry sales. So the Accord adding a V6 wouldn't miraculously boost sales volume.

We can all three agree that the real problem (if you want to define it as a problem) is the SUVs. Former Accord customers are now going home with Pilots, CR-Vs, and MDXs.
Old 03-13-18, 07:44 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,699 Likes on 2,285 Posts

The styling is hideous that's why sales are tanking. If Honda thinks otherwise they are in for a very rough time.
Old 03-13-18, 07:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I think mmarshall is party right. A V6 in the line up can go a long way in perception. I think Malibu, Sonata, and Accord have all removed the V6. Seems like nobody in the segment really wants the higher end I4 turbos.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-13-18 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-13-18, 08:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think mmarshall is party right. A V6 in the line can go a long way in perception. I think Malibu, Sonata, and Accord have all remover the V6. Seems like nobody in the segment really wants the higher end I4 turbos.
I can understand having a standard turbo-four in a regular mid-size family-sedan (though GM and Ford, on the Malibu and Fusion, really got carried away wth the puny 1.5L turbo LOL). But the V6 should at least be an option.

And it's ludicrous, IMO, that you are finding 2.0Ts in the Lincoln MKZ, Cadillac CT6, Audi A6, Volvo S90, and a number of other really upmarket sedans. That is what the CAFE laws are pretty much forcing, though. Cadillac, though, to its credit, recently dropped the 2.0T in the CT6.
Old 03-13-18, 08:12 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I have driven the new Accord with the 2.0 Turbo and the new 10 speed auto. It is a massive improvement over the last generation Accord. My wife drives a V-6 Accord coupe and the new turbo engine is smoother and faster. If the headline said "Honda is having trouble moving the new C-RV" I would be surprised. The fact that sales of a family mid-sized sedan are down should not be a surprise to anyone. The US buying public has decided that a CR-V is a better family mover than an Accord. They have also decided (based on sales) that an RX is a better entry level luxury vehicle than an ES. As an RX350 owner I guess I'm also guilty. My decision was based on pre-surgery back issues, but my 2016 RX350 has proven comfortable, roomy, and totally reliable. Now that my back is fixed, my next car will likely be a Genesis G90 or K900. My wife will likely change her beloved Honda for a Stinger.
We can all three agree that the real problem (if you want to define it as a problem) is the SUVs. Former Accord customers are now going home with Pilots, CR-Vs, and MDXs.
CR-V sales seem to be struggling too. Down 19% in February and down 19.7% for the year.

In February, Honda sold 19,753 Accords and 25,852 CR-Vs.

For reference, in February Toyota sold 30,865 Camrys (up 13.7% month, up 16.1% year) and 29,867 RAV4s (up 14.1% month, 16.5% year).

Last edited by JDR76; 03-13-18 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-13-18, 08:13 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

As much as everyone would have you believe that the sedans are dead, there are still plenty of buyers out there. That's not to say it will be easy. Let's not believe the dealers speak that lease deals are poor. The Accord is ugly, plain and simple. The thing looks like the designer stretched and backed a pickup truck into the Civic and said "there we go! Time for a beer." Almost all new cars, esp the Camry and Accord should have a period where discounts can be avoided.
Old 03-13-18, 08:17 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
CR-V sales seem to be struggling too. Down 19% in February and down 19.7% for the year.

In February, Honda sold 19,753 Accords and 25,852 CR-Vs.

For reference, in February Toyota sold 30,865 Camrys and 29,867 RAV4s.
The Pilot and MDX struggled too pretty much all of last year, oddly enough.

I have a feeling in the lower end of the spectrum, people tend to do a lot more research into technologies and cars. They probably realize a turbo will eventually fail before the engine does and will be added expense and that isnt something most can afford or wants to pay for in the long run.
Old 03-13-18, 08:30 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
The Pilot and MDX struggled too pretty much all of last year, oddly enough.

I have a feeling in the lower end of the spectrum, people tend to do a lot more research into technologies and cars. They probably realize a turbo will eventually fail before the engine does and will be added expense and that isnt something most can afford or wants to pay for in the long run.
I agree with you and unfortunately the majority of consumers will ignore required service intervals. On any turbo vehicle it is very important to get that vehicle service regularly especially oil changes.
Old 03-13-18, 12:31 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Toyota stuck to it's roots with the Camry, but also did an amazing job on the redesign making it current. Toyota pleased many Camry loyalists, but also opened the door to people who wouldn't have considered a Camry in the past. When I see the XSE model on the road (I've seen a lot here in LA), I'm still blown away with how good they look, This could have been a Lexus design. I'm excited to see what they do with the next ES!

Honda on the other hand took a leap and strayed from their roots with the new Accord. IMO the new Accord should have been an Acura model or a standalone Honda model. They tried to pull off a four-door coupe look, but I just don't think it works. The interior of the new Accord looks great... very simple + they did away with that ridiculous dual-screen thingamajig, but the exterior is too risky for the conservative Accord buyer IMO.
Old 03-13-18, 01:15 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

spwolf is right, V6's only make up some 8% of Camry sales.
Mike is right, V6's are for power and refinement.
Lexus2000 is right, the Accord's styling is hideous.
JDR76 is right, Honda Accord and CR-V sales fell across the board recently.
Last year, the more attractively styled compact Civic reached an all time record sales of 377,286 units across the USA; hands down outselling the ageing Corolla with only 308,695.
Thus, maybe the hideous styling of Accord is holding sales back, or perhaps its larger size - relative to the Civic and Corolla.
Old 03-13-18, 01:17 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not liking the fastback four-door coupe design on the new Hondas. I prefer the sedan shape.
Old 03-13-18, 01:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I can understand having a standard turbo-four in a regular mid-size family-sedan (though GM and Ford, on the Malibu and Fusion, really got carried away wth the puny 1.5L turbo LOL). But the V6 should at least be an option.

And it's ludicrous, IMO, that you are finding 2.0Ts in the Lincoln MKZ, Cadillac CT6, Audi A6, Volvo S90, and a number of other really upmarket sedans. That is what the CAFE laws are pretty much forcing, though. Cadillac, though, to its credit, recently dropped the 2.0T in the CT6.
I look at it the opposite. A base I4 non turbo is what you need in the smaller cars and mid size sedans. Whether you do a V6 or a bigger I4 turbo I am not sure is going to matter. Most People who buy Corolla, Civic, Accord and Camry generally do not care about the engine and whether it’s turbo or V6. That is just my thoughts. V6 does add to a good perception of the model.

Originally Posted by plex
I agree with you and unfortunately the majority of consumers will ignore required service intervals. On any turbo vehicle it is very important to get that vehicle service regularly especially oil changes.
I am sure Toyota and Honda can build in some preventative measures in the design. I just don’t think the entry level Accord buyer really wants a small turbo.

Quick Reply: Honda struggles to move the once-hugely-popular Accord