Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stunning new 2019 Auris (Corolla iM)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-18, 05:46 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I don't think there is any interest at all in performance variants of compact/subcompact cars now days. These days cars like the Auris are seen as "poor people's cars", sold based strictly on a very low MSRP. The small, compact hatchbacks that do move units are usually in that 14-18k price range, think Nissan Versa, Hyundia Accent, Kia Soul, etc. Status is buying something like a Honda CR-V, which is A LOT more $$$$ than a Honda Fit.
Really? What about the Civic Type R and the Focus RS?
Old 03-09-18, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't think there is any interest at all in performance variants of compact/subcompact cars now days.
What you are referring to here, Aron, is known in the auto industry as a "Pocket-Rocket". It is true that demand for them is not what it was, say, ten or fifteen years ago, when a lot of young guys, with their caps on backwards, "slammed" them (especially 2door Honda Civics and Acura Integras) with pastel paint colors, ugly bolt-on trunk-spoilers, Coke-can exhaust outlets, cheap turbos and superchargers which damaged the engines, and scrape-the-ground ride-height. But, as oldcajun pointed out, there is still a limited market for at least some of them.

These days cars like the Auris are seen as "poor people's cars", sold based strictly on a very low MSRP.
You couldn't really consider the Auris in the same class of "cheapness" as, say, a Toyota Yaris. The Auris is actually a fairly upmarket version of the Corolla, with added equipment.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-09-18 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-09-18, 06:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
That is different. There is no demand for a performance Corolla iM type car. People don’t buy Toyota’s for their performance. Perhaps there my be some justification for a Lexus iM type car.
Old 03-09-18, 06:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Perhaps there my be some justification for a Lexus iM type car.
Lexus tried marketing the CT.....and, though successful for a few years, declining sales eventually pulled it from the U.S. market.
Old 03-09-18, 06:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Problem there is that Toyota has 86 to show to people, why would they do Auris.

Maybe in Europe they will do Auris GRMN, like they did for Yaris, but that makes sense since it is their 2nd best seller there.
Old 03-09-18, 06:46 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The black roof on the 2018 Camry is a real painted roof, not an unpainted roof, not a vinyl wrap and it is difficult (and expensive) to accomplish. (I am quite sure we have discussed this in the Camry thread but did not search for it.) I have no doubt that the black roof on this new Auris is prepared in a similar fashion.

No cars come from the factory with bare, unpainted metal, and unpainted, protected (galvanized) metal is a silver or matte grey colour, not black (or even gloss black, like the colour of the Camry's roof).

The Camry's black roof has to be repainted twice after the whole car has been painted the desired colour and assembly completed. The seam that is felt on the C-pillar at the border of the black roof is the result of taping.

06. Oh, and that black roof is a serious pain to do. While Toyota first tried to do the roof in vinyl wraps, they ended up needing to use black paint with a blue-metallic base to get the finish right. The Camry has come off the production line, and the roof has to be taped off and sprayed separately.
Source
Old 03-09-18, 06:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
The black roof on the 2018 Camry is a real painted roof, not an unpainted roof, not a vinyl wrap and it is difficult (and expensive) to accomplish. (I am quite sure we have discussed this in the Camry thread but did not search for it.) I have no doubt that the black roof on this new Auris is prepared in a similar fashion.

No cars come from the factory with bare, unpainted metal, and unpainted, protected (galvanized) metal is a silver or matte grey colour, not black (or even gloss black, like the colour of the Camry's roof).

The Camry's black roof has to be repainted twice after the whole car has been painted the desired colour and assembly completed. The seam that is felt on the C-pillar at the border of the black roof is the result of taping.

Source
That must wrong it is not the last pillar. You can clearly move the layer on top of the paint. It’s wrap, at least on the rear pillars.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-09-18 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-09-18, 06:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

That is BS. You can clearly move the layer on top of the paint. It’s wrap, at least on the rear pillars.
even if it is wrap, it is wrapped after it is completely pained. It is different kind of wrap anyway, like what they use for b-pillar.
Which is why it is more expensive than non-contrasting roof.

It has been a well received higher cost option on a number of new cars in Europe. Very popular, it is not going away anywhere except on more and more vehicles. It sells excellently on new Yaris and Auris never got that option... now it has.

Besides, it is a extra pay option on higher end models of Auris. It is by no means standard and you can not get it on base vehicle.
Old 03-09-18, 07:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
even if it is wrap, it is wrapped after it is completely pained. It is different kind of wrap anyway, like what they use for b-pillar.
Which is why it is more expensive than non-contrasting roof.

It has been a well received higher cost option on a number of new cars in Europe. Very popular, it is not going away anywhere except on more and more vehicles. It sells excellently on new Yaris and Auris never got that option... now it has.

Besides, it is a extra pay option on higher end models of Auris. It is by no means standard and you can not get it on base vehicle.
Never said it is going anyway. The Camry pillars are taped on. It feels cheap and very 1980s. Perhaps the roof part is painted. Perhaps the paint the tape?
Old 03-09-18, 09:14 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

It's not bad, but I don't view it as stunning in any sort of way. The side profile is disappointing, with a sagging, soft, lower window line that suggests a bent, weak structure.
Old 03-09-18, 09:24 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Okay so here are all the compact/subcompact car lines on sale. I bolded the ones that offer a performance variant marketed to enthusiasts. Maybe I should have said there is "A VERY SMALL MARKET" for high performance/higher cost compacts.

Honda Civic- they have the cool turbo Si sedan and coupe along with the super nutty Type R

Ford Focus/Fiesta- ST models have turbo motors on both cars, then there is the AWD nutty *** Focus RS, which is soon to be discontinued. Production might have stopped already. Also from the looks of it there won't be a next gen Fiesta and the next gen Focus will be made in China, no word on if the ST or RS Focus will come along in the next generation.

Nissan Sentra/Versa- snoresville, CVT's, marshmellow suspensions, suspect build quality

Mazda 3, used to offer a hot turbocharged version on the last gen in the late 00's, no current performance model Still a great driving, fun car though, just down on power vs the Ford and Hondas

Toyota Corolla/Yaris, snoresville, CVT, 140hp engine is top of the heap lol. The GT-86 is a total sales bomb and desperately in need of a better engine that is somewhere near the brilliance of its chassis.

Mitsubishi Mirage- less said the better, 3 cylinder engine and 14" tires.

Kia Forte and Soul- You can get a turbo 1.6 liter engine with 200hp in these cars. Makes them a lot more fun to drive, but they are not marketed as sporty IMO.

VW Golf GTI- Definitely a legit performance car, marketed as such. A bit boring looking IMO, but then again that's part of its charm.

Hyundia Elantra Sport- Once again that 200hp 1.6 turbo mill found in the Kias, but it really isn't marketed all that well as a seperate sport compact model, more just like a trim level on the Elantra, looks almost like the base model with bigger wheels, which you can also say about the Kias.

Chevrolet Spark/Cruze- GM used to offer a hot SS nameplate turbocharged(or supercharged depending on year) version of the old Cobalt back in the 00's. Hauled *** and was quicker than any other small FWD car of its time. The 1st and 2nd gen Cruze options have had no performance options.

Fiat does offer the 500 Abarth, great exhaust note, but its a pretty compromised package in terms of space and is kind of ugly IMO. Still the factory exhaust note is almost worth putting up with all the other BS of this car, it sounds that good(and LOUD).

Dodge/Chrysler doesn't even sell compact cars anymore.

Yeah so there is a very limited market for performance compact cars. Of my list, there are maybe 4 manufacturers seriously competing in this space, VW, Ford, Fiat, and Honda.
Old 03-09-18, 09:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Nissan Sentra/Versa- snoresville, CVT's, marshmellow suspensions, suspect build quality
With relatively short-wheelbase, light-weight cars, though, you often need at least some marshmallow in the suspension to keep from having an overly-stiff ride....particularly with today's lower-profile tires. Cars in this general class usually don't sell for enough where the manufacturers can afford to put in electronic, multi-adjustable, or adaptable suspensions.

Dodge/Chrysler doesn't even sell compact cars anymore.
Actually, they do.....disguised as the Jeep Compass LOL.

The Compass is actually a redone Dodge Caliber FWD compact car.

Yeah so there is a very limited market for performance compact cars. Of my list, there are maybe 4 manufacturers seriously competing in this space, VW, Ford, Fiat, and Honda.
How about the BMW M2?...or would you consider that in a different class? It's about the same size physically, but obviously costs more.
Old 03-09-18, 11:16 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With relatively short-wheelbase, light-weight cars, though, you often need at least some marshmallow in the suspension to keep from having an overly-stiff ride....particularly with today's lower-profile tires. Cars in this general class usually don't sell for enough where the manufacturers can afford to put in electronic, multi-adjustable, or adaptable suspensions.

Actually, they do.....disguised as the Jeep Compass LOL.

The Compass is actually a redone Dodge Caliber FWD compact car.

How about the BMW M2?...or would you consider that in a different class? It's about the same size physically, but obviously costs more.
Quick google search, BMW M2 MSRP is $54,500. I don't think the same guy shopping a low $20k Focus ST or Honda Civic Si is looking at a BMW anything.

And sorry but I forgot to mention Subaru on the affordable performance catergory.

Subaru WRX sedan, still under 30k, AWD, turbocharged flat 4, manual transmission. Actually I forgot how good the specs are on that car, 268hp, manual, AWD, $27,000 starting price, rally car heritage, that cool blue with gold wheel thing is still an option. Main beef is the styling, it looks like nothing IMO in its current iteration, its basically a Toyota Corolla style wise.

Where are those huge fender flares? Those big round headlights with huge *** fog lights? That real low profile hood? That hatchback or wagon body style??? IMO that hatchback/wagon body style would really sell to those WRX enthusiasts, they want a more practical car, part of the reason they bought a WRX was to drive it in snow/****ty conditions, a wagon/hatchback is exactly up these dudes alley.
Old 03-10-18, 06:25 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Never said it is going anyway. The Camry pillars are taped on. It feels cheap and very 1980s. Perhaps the roof part is painted. Perhaps the paint the tape?
The Camry's B-pillars (the centre pillar, between the front and rear doors) have a plastic coating applied; that is easier to do than painting that narrow strip of metal. The floating (black) roof is painted, in a complex, multi-step process. As that quoted article said, Toyota tried a vinyl wrap but settled on the multi-step re-paint process for the best (glossy) results.

Since the black paint on the roof extends half-way down the C-pillar (the rear window pillar), where there is no natural seam where one body panel (such as the roof) joins another body panel (such as the C-pillar), the rest of the car (which is already painted) must be covered and that covering taped on to prevent overspray. The seam you feel on the C-pillar is where they applied the tape.
Old 03-10-18, 06:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

And sorry but I forgot to mention Subaru on the affordable performance catergory.
Good point. So did I.

Subaru WRX sedan, still under 30k, AWD, turbocharged flat 4, manual transmission. Actually I forgot how good the specs are on that car, 268hp, manual, AWD, $27,000 starting price, rally car heritage, that cool blue with gold wheel thing is still an option. Main beef is the styling, it looks like nothing IMO in its current iteration, its basically a Toyota Corolla style wise.

Where are those huge fender flares? Those big round headlights with huge *** fog lights? That real low profile hood? That hatchback or wagon body style??? IMO that hatchback/wagon body style would really sell to those WRX enthusiasts, they want a more practical car, part of the reason they bought a WRX was to drive it in snow/****ty conditions, a wagon/hatchback is exactly up these dudes alley.
Agree with most of what you said here, but the standard summer rubber on the WRX is too aggressive for snow.....it will probably need all-seasons or winter tires.

BMW M2 MSRP is $54,500. I don't think the same guy shopping a low $20k Focus ST or Honda Civic Si is looking at a BMW anything.
Oh, definitely it costs a lot more (so does the Audi S3)...I knew that when I made the post. What may be unclear, though, is if they are also considered pocket-rockets, being in the (roughly) same size-class, exterior-wise. I would tend to say yes.

Anyhow, back to the Auris. Agree it would be interesting to see a pocket-rocket version...that's a market that Toyota and Scion avoided for years, although the Matrix XRS/Vibe GT was close.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-10-18 at 06:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Stunning new 2019 Auris (Corolla iM)