Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why 2nd Gen (XE20) IS F is Better Than the E90 M3

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-18, 03:14 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

The ONLY BMW I would ever consider owning is a bare bones E30 before all bull**** happened with newer BMWs.
Old 03-11-18, 01:39 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
One of my best friends is a BMW fanatic and his buddy runs a popular BMW shop in our area. Let's just say I have been around them enough to NEVER want to get near one.

BMW M cars have been historically reliable? That has got to be some kind of joke, right?

Let's give credit where credit is due....they are great when they are running right, but even BMW fanboys would need to be drunk or really high on some sht to claim their M car is reliable.
You have no clue what you're talking about.
Its all about expectations - will an M car with high strung engine be as reliable through 250k miles as a Camry, answer is NO.
But if you don't abuse the car and do regular maintenance, there is no reason why it will not be reliable. There are are plenty E36, 46, 9x M3s running around with well over 100k miles. Most of these cars are modified in some way (intakes, exhaust, FI etc.) and that also impacts reliability.
Old 03-11-18, 01:46 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

The ONLY BMW I would ever consider owning is a bare bones E30 before all bull**** happened with newer BMWs.
Well you're missing out on some amazing cars then.
A bare bones E30 will not work for most ppl that need a daily, modern tech or have kids.
Not to mention all the safety features you need now.

Go drive an F80 M3 with CompPack like I have and I guarantee you will be smiling non stop from the enjoyment.

Old 03-11-18, 02:35 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

A bare bones E30 will not work for most ppl that need a daily, modern tech or have kids.

Go drive an F80 M3 with CompPack like I have and I guarantee you will be smiling non stop from the enjoyment.

imho the steering in my E92 335 is the best, and it's gone. It was actually better than the E92 M3 per various sources. I get that times have changed, and ships have sailed. Probably 6 or 7 out of 10 people to drive a E9x 325/330/328/335, would consider the steering to be broken, or annoying, in 2018. There's probably a good reason why the former C&D editor's car of choice was in fact a E90 335, when he could have had any car he wanted. Not because it was the best at everything, because it was very good at most everything, and pretty much delivered a lot with a base price of $40,600 (all the stuff that would later be taken out, and optional, was standard).

But many today would say, dang that nav su***, and you can't even connect anything via USB. No pandora or Apple play, garbage! What an awful car. lol (had an external oil cooler standard imho that's pretty serious)
Old 03-11-18, 05:54 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I have driven that. So what?
Old 03-12-18, 07:54 AM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don’t think on a good day an ISF is faster than the M3 but the important thing is they’re more reliable and cheaper to maintain on the bad days. When I’m looking for weekend sport cars to own, I need them to be cheap to sit and cheap to maintain. I’m not trying to go for the fastest lap times. The M3 might be the faster sport car but overall the ISF is the better sport car once you add reliability and the money factor.
Old 03-12-18, 08:52 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I have driven that. So what?
You were supposed to be smiling as a result of the way the vehicle performed.

What I do notice is that opinions are so differing nowadays, there's little that anyone agrees upon. So it's altogether possible I guess that the M3 is no good, unreliable, and just plain doesn't stack up, to Lexus.

Actually, some of this is demonstrated by the most popular YouTube'rs. They can have 2 mil. subscribers, yet still be very set in their ways and opinions. Normal, just becomes more apparent with the web. This just jogged my memory. I remember an article where MT rejoiced that in the G37S vs. 335i test, the BMW was heat soaked and went into limp mode. You bet the G forums gloated and concluded that the Infiniti was a much better car.
Old 03-12-18, 08:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I was next to one near my house a couple weeks ago, 325i. Older gentleman was driving, he probably got it new. I rather like that car. It definitely was from a time when there was a huge difference between a German car, and everyone else, as far as road manners. The car was designed for driving, not streaming audio and video....
Old 03-12-18, 09:46 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Daily driver fun car I would take IS-F if I was doing track stuff I would go M3.
Old 03-12-18, 02:15 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

You have no clue what you're talking about.
Its all about expectations - will an M car with high strung engine be as reliable through 250k miles as a Camry, answer is NO.
But if you don't abuse the car and do regular maintenance, there is no reason why it will not be reliable. There are are plenty E36, 46, 9x M3s running around with well over 100k miles. Most of these cars are modified in some way (intakes, exhaust, FI etc.) and that also impacts reliability.
I think the reliability issue really starts out with minor electronic problems such as moon roof stuck open or major problems like weird sensors going off while driving and rendering the car in limp mode. While Lexus has suffered similar problems before, the reported incidents are significantly less than the ones from BMW's owners.
Old 03-12-18, 03:29 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
I think the reliability issue really starts out with minor electronic problems such as moon roof stuck open or major problems like weird sensors going off while driving and rendering the car in limp mode. While Lexus has suffered similar problems before, the reported incidents are significantly less than the ones from BMW's owners.
If reliability issue is so important cars built by BMW won't cut it. They are tuned for max. from ground up. Very precision built. Front to Back weight ratio is near perfect 50-50. BMW drivers drive their car knowing all about this. My son is BMW maniac I never have seen his car in the dealership service or specialized private garage more than half a day. He always does preventive maintenance not growing little issues big. If Lexus changes their car building philosophy like that of BMW, Lexus reliability will be just so and so too. German cars do well on autobahns. They are one of the safe cars one can purchase. My Audi, Wife's MB, Son's BMW all does not giving us headaches. No matter what car we drive we take care of them. Way back when wife insists on driving Sunbeam Rapier I had to work on the car almost every week end but she never had to borrow another car to go to work. Ever since I don't like British made cars.
Old 03-12-18, 05:50 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Again guys - im not saying Lexus is not More reliable than BMW overall, most likely it is BUT that is to be expected.
Race cars need their engines rebuilt all the time because of the stress they are under. The more performance oriented the cars usually the more maintenance and parts that will need attention.

Having been a BMW owner for over 10years, these cars are solid and don't break out of nowhere.
This is not a Pinto or some temperamental Italian exotic. BMWs can be daily driven but due cost a premium to maintain over a Typical Honda or Toyota - this should be expected.
Old 03-12-18, 09:39 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

In 2011 there was a test run (Motor Trend I think) of a Mustang GT and a M3. The Mustang was faster in a straight line but the surprise was on the road course. Driven by the writer, the Mustang was faster. Driven by the pro racer, the M3 was faster by .09 sec.

The Mustang has no failures of the engine main bearings or HP fuel pumps. It is also $30K cheaper.

This was the old solid axle Mustang, the new car would be even better.
Old 03-13-18, 12:17 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
... so it just sounds like you're misinformed. Let me enlighten you a bit. There is a big difference between F and F-Sport. The former is a full fledged performance version of a Lexus model whereas F-Sport is aggressive cosmetic changes, slightly larger brakes, firmer suspensions (usually with an adaptive mode), and more aggressive bolstered seats of normal trimmed Lexus's.

So of course an RC350 F-Sport won't handle like an M4. An RC F is more akin to the M4 than its F-Sport sibling. Audi S-Line, BMW M-Sport, Lexus F-Sport are all sport trims. RS, M, and F are the full fledged models.
haha, you're way too kind
Old 03-13-18, 01:09 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

just funny the 4.0 V8 has a gas guzzler tax and the 5.0 V8 doesnt

Quick Reply: Why 2nd Gen (XE20) IS F is Better Than the E90 M3