Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why 2nd Gen (XE20) IS F is Better Than the E90 M3

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-18, 01:45 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,492 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
haha, you're way too kind
+1

Possibly off-topic, but I can't help but think the original author of this post saw a flame war coming.
Old 03-14-18, 11:32 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

You have no clue what you're talking about.
Its all about expectations - will an M car with high strung engine be as reliable through 250k miles as a Camry, answer is NO.
But if you don't abuse the car and do regular maintenance, there is no reason why it will not be reliable. There are are plenty E36, 46, 9x M3s running around with well over 100k miles. Most of these cars are modified in some way (intakes, exhaust, FI etc.) and that also impacts reliability.
I think you have no clue what you're talking about when you say as long as you do regular maintenance that there is no reason an M car will not be reliable. Just peruse the BMW forums on the M cars, be it M5, X5, or M3. BMW Fanatics I know, w/ an objective mind, will never own a BMW out of warranty. If you find your M experience trouble free, good for you. That is not a universal experience.
Old 03-15-18, 09:26 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Plain and simple one ought to drive what (s)he likes. No sense arguing about something like this. You do your thing, I do my thing. One thing sure is the design philosophy between Lexus and BMW is quite different. So don't try to compare apple to an orange. Lexus cars are selling well, BMW cars are selling well... Otherwise they won't be in the market. I know during warranty period BMW does not charge even single dime for service. Lexus? do they do the same during warranty period?
Old 03-15-18, 04:41 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Htony
Plain and simple one ought to drive what (s)he likes. No sense arguing about something like this. You do your thing, I do my thing. One thing sure is the design philosophy between Lexus and BMW is quite different. So don't try to compare apple to an orange. Lexus cars are selling well, BMW cars are selling well... Otherwise they won't be in the market. I know during warranty period BMW does not charge even single dime for service. Lexus? do they do the same during warranty period?
Who is comparing who to who? You are right, BMW does not charge anything for maintenance, I still ditched mine after 4 trips to the dealership for warranty repairs even though it did not cause me one cent, LOL. The only exception I have is when someone says BMW's are reliable, not true based on the facts and my own experience. I actually liked my BMW, except for the fact that you just wonder what's gonna break next.

As far as the design philosophy having to do with reliability, I'm sure malfunctioning injectors, MAF's, HPFP's, and plastic vacuum tubes that degrade after just a couple of years has nothing to do with design philosophy. That's just plain, inferior parts used.
Old 03-15-18, 07:23 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs
Who is comparing who to who? You are right, BMW does not charge anything for maintenance, I still ditched mine after 4 trips to the dealership for warranty repairs even though it did not cause me one cent, LOL. The only exception I have is when someone says BMW's are reliable, not true based on the facts and my own experience. I actually liked my BMW, except for the fact that you just wonder what's gonna break next.

As far as the design philosophy having to do with reliability, I'm sure malfunctioning injectors, MAF's, HPFP's, and plastic vacuum tubes that degrade after just a couple of years has nothing to do with design philosophy. That's just plain, inferior parts used.
The BMW you had with the V8 N63 engine unfortunately has known issues.
They have updated the N63 several times, but i would stay away from them personally.

Again BMWs are not perfect, neither are the new Lexus, MB, Audi, Jag etc.
Keeping any of these expensive cars outside of warranty is a risk.

My point was the BMW issues are well over exaggerated.
I'm on my fifth, my brother has had 3, i know 10 other close family / friends who have had a bunch as well and still buy them.
Old 03-15-18, 07:32 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I think you have no clue what you're talking about when you say as long as you do regular maintenance that there is no reason an M car will not be reliable. Just peruse the BMW forums on the M cars, be it M5, X5, or M3. BMW Fanatics I know, w/ an objective mind, will never own a BMW out of warranty. If you find your M experience trouble free, good for you. That is not a universal experience.
I go on Bimmerpost regularly and there are plenty of high mileage E46/E9x M3s, same for E39 M5s which are also very solid.
The new F8x M3/4 have been super reliable same for F10 M5. Lots of these cars are tuned as well.

I would recommend you join the local BMW CCA and attend meets/events if you want to learn more about these cars first hand and get real feedback from owners not just random stories on internet.
Old 03-15-18, 10:06 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

The BMW you had with the V8 N63 engine unfortunately has known issues.
They have updated the N63 several times, but i would stay away from them personally.

Again BMWs are not perfect, neither are the new Lexus, MB, Audi, Jag etc.
Keeping any of these expensive cars outside of warranty is a risk.

My point was the BMW issues are well over exaggerated.
I'm on my fifth, my brother has had 3, i know 10 other close family / friends who have had a bunch as well and still buy them.
Keeping a Lexus out of warranty is not a risk. I've had 3 of them and never had any repairs. The rest: MB, Audi, and Jag are definite risks. They all also drop like a rock price-wise when their warranty is over.

I have friends who work in BMW in the service department, it's not like I'm just saying something that I just saw in the internet. I'm not dissing BMW's outright, in this thread I already said I would give the edge to the M3 over the ISF, performance wise. If you're talking reliability, the ISF will blow out the M3.
Old 03-16-18, 08:38 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Keeping a Lexus out of warranty is not a risk. I've had 3 of them and never had any repairs. The rest: MB, Audi, and Jag are definite risks. They all also drop like a rock price-wise when their warranty is over.

I have friends who work in BMW in the service department, it's not like I'm just saying something that I just saw in the internet. I'm not dissing BMW's outright, in this thread I already said I would give the edge to the M3 over the ISF, performance wise. If you're talking reliability, the ISF will blow out the M3.
This is sensible what you say....I bought a 2006 LS430 with 81k in October 2016, when I could have bought a 2014 (not 2014.5) Camry, with 35k miles (haha a reason for that), for the same price, OR, a 2006 A8 for about 2k less, with about 25k less miles than the LS430. I went with the LS and is it any surprise that nothing broke since I got the LS, with the exception of the LF park assist sensors acting up now and then, but migrating to more now.

I saw on YouTube that you can count on a MB reaching 10% of its original price, beyond 10 years of age. I love that 2007 $12,000 S600 to no tomorrow (Tavarish). I would take the money out of the bank at lunchtime if I could get a reliable one for that.

The topic of this thread stated IS F is better than E90 M3. I believe that's not an objective statement. It's kind of like insisting that the USA has a trade deficit with Canada. The topic of the thread did not say overall reliability etc.

I would say if a person can do it, buy a Lexus, and buy a BMW, and enjoy both. You can probably say what's good and bad about each. I loved how the 335 was said to have **** poor engineering--I would love for that to come from a current owner. Engineers managed to get a true dual exhaust system by the bean counters. That was gone by 2011, for good reason (well except for the iS). The same can be accomplished with software, at a fraction of the cost to the mfg.
Old 03-17-18, 11:00 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430

I would say if a person can do it, buy a Lexus, and buy a BMW, and enjoy both. You can probably say what's good and bad about each. I loved how the 335 was said to have **** poor engineering--I would love for that to come from a current owner. Engineers managed to get a true dual exhaust system by the bean counters. That was gone by 2011, for good reason (well except for the iS). The same can be accomplished with software, at a fraction of the cost to the mfg.
You actually don't want a dual exhaust system on an inline six engine. Boggles my mind that the engineers configured it that way, IMO it was probably a marketing or styling thing that said two exhaust tips look better than one/convey more performance/horsepower.

Think of it like this, an inline six engine has one bank of cylinders, one exhaust manifold, just like an inline 4 cylinder. There is NO POINT in putting in a y-pipe in the exhaust and splitting it into two outlets. Its not like a V6, V8, V10 or V12 where you have two exhaust manifolds. I know my SC300(2JZ-GE Inline six) has dual exhaust, there is a y pipe past the cat converter and two mufflers/tailpipes on the rear of the car. Stupid design IMO, the Mark IV Supra has the same engine and is very similar mechanically to the SC300. Guess what the high performance spec Supra has, a single tailpipe exhaust with just one muffler. Its lighter and flows better, that's why they didn't do a dual setup on the Supra.
Old 03-18-18, 12:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
You actually don't want a dual exhaust system on an inline six engine. Boggles my mind that the engineers configured it that way, IMO it was probably a marketing or styling thing that said two exhaust tips look better than one/convey more performance/horsepower.

Think of it like this, an inline six engine has one bank of cylinders, one exhaust manifold, just like an inline 4 cylinder. There is NO POINT in putting in a y-pipe in the exhaust and splitting it into two outlets. Its not like a V6, V8, V10 or V12 where you have two exhaust manifolds. I know my SC300(2JZ-GE Inline six) has dual exhaust, there is a y pipe past the cat converter and two mufflers/tailpipes on the rear of the car. Stupid design IMO, the Mark IV Supra has the same engine and is very similar mechanically to the SC300. Guess what the high performance spec Supra has, a single tailpipe exhaust with just one muffler. Its lighter and flows better, that's why they didn't do a dual setup on the Supra.
Thanks for the Snapple fact. Never really thought of that before.