Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: How often do you get an alignment?
Once a year, regardless of miles
6.06%
Whenever it pulls
33.33%
Whenever I buy new tires
30.30%
Other, leave a comment
30.30%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

How often do you get an alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-18, 01:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Drive in some of our Northeastern or Great Lakes states and and you'll find out. Heck, it's often bad enough even around D.C.
I've only been driving in DC for 20 years and somehow I don't need 3 alignments a year.

Its gotta be the alignment techs.
Old 03-06-18, 01:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I've only been driving in DC for 20 years and somehow I don't need 3 alignments a year.

I agree something doesn't sound right there. I've lived in the Chicago area for 43 years, and a couple of other Midwestern markets before that driving both personal and company cars, and no frequent alignment issues (fingers crossed).
Old 03-06-18, 04:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

I was being facetious. D.C. streets, in general, are known for their lack of maintenance.
Old 03-07-18, 07:44 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Dunno....I know after alignment #1, the left rear was just out of spec at -1.9. But then after #2, the left was in spec and now the right was out of spec. I wish I could try doing it myself (it can't be rocket science), I would like to convince myself it's the techs, and not the car. Many seem to say as the car wears and springs sag etc., there is a tendency for the rear to exhibit more negative camber.

I will say this from what I see. If you roll in with a BMW, pay $140, and every setting is green to begin with, they still adjust such that all the settings are in the middle of each range. I have found this to not be the case with the lifetime alignment. Green means no need to adjust. That's the myth of the lifetime alignment lol But since we have them, I'll use them, don't really lose anything but the drop off and pickup time...
You know alignments are actually pretty difficult do to correctly right? And the techs are correct as your car wears you will get negative camber due to gravity. I dont know what state you live in but I get my aligments done at a race shop in NY and thats $150 and takes about an hour. Normal aligments should only cost $60-$90 any more and your getting bent over with a handful of sand.

There is no way your rear was out of spec by -1.9 thats an insane amount of camber on a stock car, I lowered my ls430 3.5 inches in the front and the camber was only off by -1.7 and ls430's have very little front camber adjustment. If it was off that much then your shock collapsed and you should probably get that fixed.
Old 03-07-18, 07:48 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

I was being facetious. D.C. streets, in general, are known for their lack of maintenance.
Welcome to NY were during the morning commute the giant moon craters in the road have cars for breakfast lol
Old 03-07-18, 07:53 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
You know alignments are actually pretty difficult do to correctly right? And the techs are correct as your car wears you will get negative camber due to gravity. I dont know what state you live in but I get my aligments done at a race shop in NY and thats $150 and takes about an hour. Normal aligments should only cost $60-$90 any more and your getting bent over with a handful of sand.

There is no way your rear was out of spec by -1.9 thats an insane amount of camber on a stock car, I lowered my ls430 3.5 inches in the front and the camber was only off by -1.7 and ls430's have very little front camber adjustment. If it was off that much then your shock collapsed and you should probably get that fixed.
What I meant was the overall was -1.9, with the range being up to -1.8, so it was just out. But I noticed the lifetime place just gets it in the range. The BMW dealer sets every value to the center of the range, even if green to begin with. I suppose that's why one is $149 each, and another $170 fo life....

Man I was driving on Haverford Ave. yest. there are some gigantic I don't even know what to call them. this honda CR-V starts wavering like a person deking on a penalty shot, and then speeds up through the hole in the road. I couldn't help but think lucky your car must be leased. If anything, common sense would say slow down when you are going to hit something. I'm not driving my LS430 through that, I used the other side of the Ave. and avoided the hole.
Old 03-07-18, 08:00 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Thats the aligment sheet from my ls430 when I first got the car after I installed coilovers.
Old 03-07-18, 09:22 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

When I had the alignment done last year after hitting the curb (no, I wasn't drinking; it was ice) I was impressed by the technology used by the Les Schwab tire place. Up on the rack, a couple of reflectors attached to the wheels, couple of seconds of moving things around, everything read by a laser, then--Bingo!--the computer spits out a graphical analysis. Pretty cool, and a far cry from the way it was done decades ago.
Old 03-07-18, 10:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by riredale
When I had the alignment done last year after hitting the curb (no, I wasn't drinking; it was ice) I was impressed by the technology used by the Les Schwab tire place. Up on the rack, a couple of reflectors attached to the wheels, couple of seconds of moving things around, everything read by a laser, then--Bingo!--the computer spits out a graphical analysis. Pretty cool, and a far cry from the way it was done decades ago.
I assume you are talking about the ubiquitous Hunter alignment machines, in use for years.

Old 03-07-18, 01:06 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I assume you are talking about the ubiquitous Hunter alignment machines, in use for years.

I wish there was a way to verify the steering is set exactly @ 0° before they do all the aligning.
Old 03-07-18, 02:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

i think the last time i got an alignment was over a decade ago when my 2gs had coilovers, custom rims/tires, etc. since then, nope.
Old 03-07-18, 03:24 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Only when it pulls or I see excessive/abnormal tire wear.

In my earlier days, it would have been once a month when I tinkered around with my suspension.
Old 03-07-18, 03:29 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

info directly from the Hunter website....

https://www.hunter.com/alignment-sys...heel-alignment

The Benefits of Wheel Alignment

Proper wheel alignment is extremely important to protect tire investment and tire life, maximize fuel economy and stop safely in wet weather conditions. Proper wheel alignment helps vehicles hold the road better and feel more stable.

Fuel Economy Benefits of Wheel Alignment

Proper wheel alignment also maximizes fuel economy. Vehicles with wheel alignment conditions can suffer a decrease in fuel efficiency by up to 7%. For a vehicle owner who drives 15,000 miles per year and gets an average of 25 miles per gallon at $3.50 per gallon, proper wheel alignment adds up to $150 annual fuel cost savings.

Proper Alignment Protects a Vehicle Owner’s Investment

Every inch a vehicle is out of alignment is equivalent to dragging the tire sideways at 100 feet per mile! Not only does this create dangerous driving conditions, but it also places unnecessary wear on tires that can be avoided by proper wheel alignment.

Other Wheel Alignment Benefits for Safety

One of the benefits of wheel alignment is maintaining tread life and reducing unnecessary tread wear over time. Remaining tire tread has a direct impact on stopping distance on wet surfaces, which can cause serious problems when traveling over 60 mph.

How Often Should You Get an Alignment?

Most manufacturers don’t outline a maintenance schedule for wheel alignment, however, most mechanics recommend this service be completed once every 2-3 years.

If your vehicle has an off-center steering wheel, pulls to one side while driving on a straight and level road, has uneven tire wear or doesn’t hold the road well, chances are you may be due for wheel alignment service.

Benefits of a Wheel Alignment System with Steering System Reset

As vehicle manufacturers equip more vehicles with on-board driver-assist systems, such as electronic stability control, parking assist, traction control and more, an increasing number of manufacturers now require a steering system reset during alignment service. It is important to have an alignment system that can reset all alignment-related sensors during alignment service.

Learn more about the benefits of wheel alignment performed by Hunter Engineering wheel aligners. click here.

Old 03-07-18, 04:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

As far as the front wheels dragging the vehicle sideways, manufacturers rarely specify a perfectly parallel-alignment of the front wheels. Often there is a very small amount of toe-in specified, to help keep the vehicle steady, and no tend to drift back and forth out of one's lanes specially in crosswinds. Sometimes a small amount of negative camber will also be recommended, to help keep as much tread as possible on the outer tires firmly-planted in corners.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-07-18 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-07-18, 04:39 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Every 6 months sometimes 4 months. Tons of pot holes knocking my alignment out.

Quick Reply: How often do you get an alignment?