Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 GMC Sierra

Old 03-01-18, 12:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2019 GMC Sierra

Denali trim with CarbonPro bed

As with every new full-size truck, the Sierra is larger than the outgoing model in almost every dimension, though exact dimensions haven't been revealed. For reference, though, the Chevy Silverado's bed is 7-inches wider than before. The new Sierra grille is more upright than before and features new C-shaped lighting. The Denali gets LED headlights, tail lights and fog lights. Both SLT and Denali trims get unique 22-inch wheels.

As we saw in spy photos, the Sierra's interior is mostly just a copy of the Silverado's with some chrome accents sprinkled throughout. If you like the current truck interiors, you'll be pleased with the new model. Those hoping for a wholesale change will be left wanting.

The big improvements inside include a full-color heads-up display, trailer hitch assist apps and cameras, and the rear-camera mirror found in models like the Chevy Traverse and Cadillac CT6. Safety and convenience features include a surround-view camera, blind-spot monitoring, pedestrian detection and low-speed automatic braking.

Like the Silverado, there's been a significant effort to cut weight in the new Sierra. The 2019 model loses as much as 360 pounds compared to the current truck. It uses aluminum for the doors, hood and tailgate. Steel is still used for the fenders, roof and standard cargo box.

The Denali, however, gets the real surprise here. The top-tier trim will use carbon fiber rather than steel for the bed box, saving 62 pounds. Carbon fiber only replaces the steel inner panels and floor. GMC says the carbon fiber will also help scratch and corrosion resistance.

SLT and Denali models also get a new power-assist tailgate. The Sierra gets a few additional functions over the Silverado, including the trick tailgate seen above, and a new feature that helps one get into and out of the bed using an assist handle. The tailgate has a maximum weight capacity of 375 pounds.

As with the Silverado, the 2019 Sierra gets three engines, two gasoline V8s and a new diesel inline-6. The 5.3-liter V8 and 6.2-liter V8 will carry over, though with new stop/start technology and cylinder-deactivation that allows the truck to run on just a single cylinder. Yes, just one cylinder. Details on the 3.0-liter diesel haven't been announced, but, like the 6.2-liter V8, it will be paired with a 10-speed automatic. Denali models get a new "adaptive ride control," though what exactly that is (magnetic dampers?) was left out of the release.

The new 2019 GMC Sierra will go on sale this fall, so expect more details on the dimensions, engines and pricing to trickle out over the summer.
Source
Old 03-01-18, 12:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

My gosh. 22” rims.
Old 03-01-18, 12:50 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 184 Likes on 163 Posts

We have a winner! I''m not too fond of the new Silverado's looks and think the current one looks much more bad a$$. However this Sierra looks great!

I wish they'd release the output numbers for the engines. Long live the small-block V8.
Old 03-01-18, 04:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

With all that trim and equipment, just wait till they release the price tag for that one...especially the Denali version. Eyes are going to open.

The only thing I don't like on it is the huge, look-at-me grille....way too big.
Old 03-01-18, 07:46 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you fkn serious? These new trucks are way too nice. I can't believe they are using carbon fiber lol.
Old 03-01-18, 09:15 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Good-lookin truck! Has the nicest body and bed shape of the bunch, with some sporty edges and lines. The face on this is much more agreeable, compared to the Frankenstein Chevy face. Curious to see what the regular Sierra will look like. A more toned down grille would be welcomed. And I can't imagine the too-tall grille and super high hood helps with all-important drag coefficients and mpg's.
Old 03-01-18, 10:08 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
Are you fkn serious? These new trucks are way too nice. I can't believe they are using carbon fiber lol.
These trucks are a full generation behind the Fords. The top V-6 from Ford is 450 hp and 510 lb/ft torque. The GM trucks are ugly, overweight, and underpowered.
Old 03-01-18, 11:26 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
These trucks are a full generation behind the Fords. The top V-6 from Ford is 450 hp and 510 lb/ft torque. The GM trucks are ugly, overweight, and underpowered.
I kinda agree. Looking at the pics again the truck looks exactly the same with a few minor changes. not to mention that its not even made out of aluminum. But big changes on trucks don't seem necessary to me. For example the Nissan frontier still looks really good.
Old 03-02-18, 03:16 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 199 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
Engineers: We're going to move to aluminum on the next generation to save weight and improve fuel economy.
Marketing: NO! We've been absolutely ruthless about Ford's switch to aluminum, if we switch now the entire customer base will know we're short-sighted hypocrites! What else can we use instead?
Engineers: Carbon fiber is very light, but insanely expensive and incredibly difficult to work with.
Marketing: Done!
Engineers: That'll drive up costs and kill sales.
Marketing: We'll only put it on the $60k+ models that are high-margin anyway. The rest of the lineup will keep the existing steel bed.
Engineers: Isn't that short-sighted and hypocritical?
Marketing: Hush you.

Last edited by geko29; 03-02-18 at 03:21 AM.
Old 03-02-18, 11:25 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 184 Likes on 163 Posts

Disagree. I'll take a detuned Corvette 6.2L V8 over a turbo V6 any day, I don't care how powerful it is. Acceleration times are a wash between the two, and I want a V8 soundtrack in my $65,000 truck. GM is smart holding on to the V8s.

If you're a Ford Guy that's cool, but GM makes excellent trucks.
Old 03-02-18, 03:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Disagree. I'll take a detuned Corvette 6.2L V8 over a turbo V6 any day, I don't care how powerful it is. Acceleration times are a wash between the two, and I want a V8 soundtrack in my $65,000 truck. GM is smart holding on to the V8s.

Agreed.
Old 03-02-18, 11:38 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

Agreed!!!! Love the GM V8's, especially that big 6.2 V8. Lots of muscle with that engine, but its stupid how GM has limited it to only upper spec crew cab 1/2 ton trucks. Also dumb that particular engine isn't avaliable in heavy duty 3/4 and 1 ton models, you are stuck with a less powerful 6.0 liter V8 if you want a gas truck with more tow rating. Make it an across the board option like Ford does with its 3.5 Eco-boost V6, or do like Ford and offer an even better engine option for your heavy duty models(6.2 liter V8 is standard in the Ford heavy duty).

Also GM still sucks in terms of interior design IMO. The materials quality/tightness/lack of squeaks/rattles has improved dramatically, but they need to fire their designers. I mean look at that picture of the gauge cluster and dash area of the new Sierra. How many different textures are there, how many different cut lines? How many different pieces that butt together to where you have to worry about even/straight panel gaps??? I don't see how its cost effective either to have 3 different plastic parts that all interlock together where you could just have one part with a much cleaner look, fewer seems, fewer issues with fit/finish, fewer plastic pieces that can rub together to create squeaks/rattles.

Also, square gauges, really???? They looked bad in your 1972 Lincoln, why do you think they'd look good here??? And that 140mph speedo drives me nuts, most GM trucks are speed limited to under 110mph. The 3rd gen Escalade really irked me, truck was speed limited to 98mph and had a 160mph speedo.

Last edited by Aron9000; 03-02-18 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-03-18, 12:04 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Here's an article and video of the MultiPro tailgate in use. Pretty cool stuff.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/01/...carbonpro-bed/
Old 03-03-18, 07:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Also, square gauges, really???? They looked bad in your 1972 Lincoln, why do you think they'd look good here???
What difference does it make what shape the gauges are, as long as they are easily legible, well-lit/contrast, and do the job?

And that 140mph speedo drives me nuts, most GM trucks are speed limited to under 110mph. The 3rd gen Escalade really irked me, truck was speed limited to 98mph and had a 160mph speedo.
With speedos, don't forget, most of them are designed for both the American market (MPH) and the metric (KPH) market for much of the rest of the world....although I'm not sure just how many Silverados and Sierras are sold overseas, since it is a stereotype American vehicle. But, sometimes, extra space has to be left in the gauges to accommodate the KPH scale, which reads to higher figures than MPH. Rather than just leave that space blank (or spread out the figures too much, sometimes the designer just fill up the space with unneeded numbers on the top end.

Remember back when we had the 55 MPH national speed limits, and GM was putting 85 MPH speedos in their vehicles, and using 25/35/45, etc.....intervals instead of 20/30/40? Some people (especially the car magazines) complained that those speedos were almost useless, though, in fact, they were driving at illegal speeds to start with.

One thing I'd like to see more of in modern speedos is readouts every 10 mph (10/20/30, etc), instead of 20/40/60 increments. All American speedos used to be like that...I don't know why manufacturers switched to the 20-mph increments. Space (or square shapes LOL) was certainly not an issue on that one.
Old 03-05-18, 10:24 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What difference does it make what shape the gauges are, as long as they are easily legible, well-lit/contrast, and do the job?

With speedos, don't forget, most of them are designed for both the American market (MPH) and the metric (KPH) market for much of the rest of the world....although I'm not sure just how many Silverados and Sierras are sold overseas, since it is a stereotype American vehicle. But, sometimes, extra space has to be left in the gauges to accommodate the KPH scale, which reads to higher figures than MPH. Rather than just leave that space blank (or spread out the figures too much, sometimes the designer just fill up the space with unneeded numbers on the top end.

Remember back when we had the 55 MPH national speed limits, and GM was putting 85 MPH speedos in their vehicles, and using 25/35/45, etc.....intervals instead of 20/30/40? Some people (especially the car magazines) complained that those speedos were almost useless, though, in fact, they were driving at illegal speeds to start with.

One thing I'd like to see more of in modern speedos is readouts every 10 mph (10/20/30, etc), instead of 20/40/60 increments. All American speedos used to be like that...I don't know why manufacturers switched to the 20-mph increments. Space (or square shapes LOL) was certainly not an issue on that one.
Yeah I didn't think about that, Canadian market trucks have to read more numbers with KPH, I'm sure there is some sort of cost benefit of putting in the 140mph speedo vs rescaling the whole thing and making the needle move at different intervals. Still really annoying though.

Oh and my favorite of the 85mph speedos was in the early C4 Corvettes. As you know it was a digital readout on that car, but gov regulations wouldn't let the speedo read above 85mph. So if you passed 85mph, instead of displaying a higher number, it just blinked 85 lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2019 GMC Sierra