Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jaguar I-Pace electric SUV

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-18, 11:08 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Jaguar I-Pace electric SUV

It'll go 240 miles on a charge and from 0-60 mph in 4.5 seconds

It's been a long time coming, but the day has finally arrived. The production all-electric Jaguar I-Pace crossoverhas officially been revealed. If it looks familiar, that's because since we first saw the concept car back in 2016, we've seen the car testing, barely camouflaged, at the Nürburgring and elsewhere. We've also seen a hotter version called the I-Pace eTrophy, intended as a support racer for the Formula E electric championship series. Today, Jaguar has unveiled the final consumer I-Pace ahead of the Geneva Motor Show, and we're not surprised to see that it remains true to the original concept.

As we learned in the livestream of the I-Pace reveal, this electric Jaguar offers 394 horsepower and 512 pound-feet of torque. It'll do 0-60 mph in a brisk 4.5 seconds. With high and low regenerative braking settings, the driver can choose a more traditional driving feel, or opt for mostly one-pedal driving. Its 90-kWh battery pack offers up to 240 miles of driving range between charges. Jaguar says it can recharge to 80 percent in just 40 minutes on a 100-kW DC fast charger.

With two electric motors, one at the front and one at the rear, the I-Pace is all-wheel-drive, adjusting torque from front to rear as necessary. The vehicle boasts a low center of gravity, as well as a 50:50 weight distribution. Its standard air suspension with available Adaptive Dynamics improves ride and handling. It can also lower the I-Pace for better aerodynamics.

The I-Pace features the Touch Pro Duo infotainment interface shared with the Range Rover Velar. It will also feature an Amazon Alexa Skill to interact with the car, and over-the-air updates to keep the software current.

In addition to the unveiling, Jaguar is also opening up orders for the I-Pace today. Deliveries are expected in the second half of the year. United States pricing will be announced in Geneva.

The I-Pace is a harbinger of things to come. Last fall, the British automaker announced it would electrify all new models — and possibly even some old ones — beginning in 2020. In addition to pure EVs, this electrification strategy will include hybrids and plug-in hybrids.
Source
Old 03-01-18, 12:35 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Like with all Jaguars of today, they look great but start to disappoint when you look at the finer details within the interior. What's with the big hole where the transmission selector would have been? also for ergonomics sake, the volume button is too far from the driver.

I do like the exterior however. The front end looks great.
Old 03-01-18, 12:38 PM
Hoovey689

Source
Old 03-01-18, 12:43 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
: also for ergonomics sake, the volume button is too far from the driver.
On the steering wheel??
Old 03-01-18, 01:02 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Like with all Jaguars of today, they look great but start to disappoint when you look at the finer details within the interior. What's with the big hole where the transmission selector would have been? also for ergonomics sake, the volume button is too far from the driver.

I do like the exterior however. The front end looks great.
Looks like that might be where phones can go, since people want a phone holder, possibly with wireless charging built in? I don't remember from early drives a few years ago, but this could be?
Old 03-01-18, 01:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Dunno, I expect Model X and even Model S sales to drop significantly at the pricing of $€70-80k for well equipped I-Pace.

It has begun.
Old 03-01-18, 01:25 PM
kwr
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it. Looks like they spent more money on the interior. Certainly has a better interior than the rest of the line up minus the XJ.
Old 03-01-18, 01:31 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
On the steering wheel??
It still doesn't make sense to me though. Perfect scenario, if I have my left hand on the wheel, I'll either have to cross my hands to reach the left side, swap hands that is holding the wheel, or stretch across for the ****.
Trivial, I know but I'm all about ergonomics lol.

Originally Posted by pbm317
Looks like that might be where phones can go, since people want a phone holder, possibly with wireless charging built in? I don't remember from early drives a few years ago, but this could be?
That's the thought I had, but it looks so unfinished to me. Like a gaping hole in the dash.
Old 03-01-18, 01:38 PM
Hoovey689

Great photo @spwolf. This is one slinky kitty (for a CUV)
Old 03-01-18, 05:29 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I like it. I wonder how this compares to the Lexus UX in size?

I am also wondering about the exhaust vent in the hood. How will that effect the windshield in inclement weather?

Old 03-01-18, 06:02 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

goddamn electric cars blow the doors off my 306hp lexus
Old 03-01-18, 06:06 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

that hood exhaust is a waste of space.
Better to use that for a frunk.
Old 03-01-18, 06:45 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by rogerh00
The video image thumbnail shows the I-Pace is slotted between the E-Pace and F-Pace. So UX is much smaller.

Old 03-01-18, 07:17 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00

I am also wondering about the exhaust vent in the hood. How will that effect the windshield in inclement weather?

If the air flows cleanly over the windshield wipers -- if the wipers are below the airflow -- it should keep the windshield clear. But if the wipers are up in the airflow, they will cause eddies that will deposit dirt on the windscreen.
Old 03-02-18, 07:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

remember, this is an indian company behind this. and volvo, making huge strides, has a giant well funded chinese company behind it, which just happened to have bought a huge chunk in daimler.
not long now... the rest of the world's auto makers won't know what hit them until it's way too late, or they've been assimilated, or they simply move more r&d and production over there.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 03-03-18 at 11:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Jaguar I-Pace electric SUV