Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

February 2018 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-18, 06:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

wow nearly 1700 qx80s sold... between that, escalade, navigator, etc., it seems the huge ute is the new baller vehicle.
a wealthy client of mine has had 3 escalades in a row - absolutely loves them.
i think lexus has missed that boat because the lx, while a big vehicle, and amazingly capable off road, just isn't that big inside.
Old 03-02-18, 06:56 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I agree that big is literally big

one of the popular supercar and HyperCard cloggers Solomodrin has recently added full size pick ups like the Raptor to his collection

i think the guy has terrific smarts and this should expand his viewership a ton

Last edited by S2000toIS350; 03-02-18 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-02-18, 07:20 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69

http://media.audiusa.com/en-us/releases/229

Audi of America February sales grow by 12 percent with the A5, Q3 and Q5 in the lead

Come on Audi, you have a slot for even number Q variants. Where's that Q4 that I want?
Old 03-02-18, 08:53 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Audi will ballpark Lexus numbers within 3 years and within 5 they will overtake Lexus by few hundred units. This is a swan song for Lexus in US as one of the top luxury manufacturers, dropping out of Top 3 means you are then Audi of 2000
It's inevitable unfortunately, Lexus is slow to adjust in ever growing and demanding premium features and technology segment both inside the cabin, inside the hood and in-between the wheels. Their RWD lineup is the perfect example of how they cannot follow the development pace anymore. It will take them at least a decade of adjustment to prosper once again. You can forget LS ever selling in four digits again like it used to or like S550 is selling right now.

It happened to Acura first, then it happened to Infiniti and it's happening to Lexus now. What's holding Lexus afloat are Toyota derived large FWD SUVs and cars they offer at affordable prices for a premium segment. Infiniti and Acura are trying to copy that with RDX, MDX and upcoming QX50.
Old 03-02-18, 07:53 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Audi will ballpark Lexus numbers within 3 years and within 5 they will overtake Lexus by few hundred units. This is a swan song for Lexus in US as one of the top luxury manufacturers, dropping out of Top 3 means you are then Audi of 2000
It's inevitable unfortunately, Lexus is slow to adjust in ever growing and demanding premium features and technology segment both inside the cabin, inside the hood and in-between the wheels. Their RWD lineup is the perfect example of how they cannot follow the development pace anymore. It will take them at least a decade of adjustment to prosper once again. You can forget LS ever selling in four digits again like it used to or like S550 is selling right now.

It happened to Acura first, then it happened to Infiniti and it's happening to Lexus now. What's holding Lexus afloat are Toyota derived large FWD SUVs and cars they offer at affordable prices for a premium segment. Infiniti and Acura are trying to copy that with RDX, MDX and upcoming QX50.
Yes management definitely need a wake up call.

The sad thing is the Lexus brand is more than strong enough to successfully sell cars in the GS-LS and in-between segments. They have done so for decades before. It's just that the product is not strong enough in these segments, and management doesn't care.

The ****ty Japanese stylists need to be fired. They need to start hiring internationally both in engineering and design. The insular Japanese corporate culture needs to go.

The new A6 is a beautiful car. If Lexus were paying attention the next GS would come next year to compete. But no word on that. The A7 is entering its second generation, the CLS its third. Lexus still absent from the segment. And all of the major luxury brands are moving increasingly towards electrification. Lexus is cluelessly absent. Maybe we'll see a low volume LS hydrogen in 3-5 years. By then it'll be nothing but a sad joke.
Old 03-02-18, 08:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Mr. Burns - i agree 100% with your post.

but maybe lexus will wake up and stop the 'different just to be different regardless if not classy' mode... here's hoping
Old 03-03-18, 08:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns

The sad thing is the Lexus brand is more than strong enough to successfully sell cars in the GS-LS and in-between segments. They have done so for decades before. It's just that the product is not strong enough in these segments, and management doesn't care.

The ****ty Japanese stylists need to be fired. They need to start hiring internationally both in engineering and design. The insular Japanese corporate culture needs to go.

The new A6 is a beautiful car. If Lexus were paying attention the next GS would come next year to compete. But no word on that. The A7 is entering its second generation, the CLS its third. Lexus still absent from the segment. And all of the major luxury brands are moving increasingly towards electrification. Lexus is cluelessly absent. Maybe we'll see a low volume LS hydrogen in 3-5 years. By then it'll be nothing but a sad joke.
Old 03-03-18, 05:05 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are the Feb. 2018 sales numbers on the LS500? I wonder if it's meeting it's projected target of 1K/month? I'm looking at a couple of sites and they show 548 sold in the US and a big 0 in Canada. I wouldn't be surprised if the units that have been shipped out and are on dealer lots are mostly fully loaded and hitting the $100K mark. That's getting awfully close to other vehicles in the class.

If they don't fix the styling soon and they persist in not learning the lessons of history that numerous other car companies had to learn the hard way, then sales will eventually flop once the "Fast n Furious" trend wears off. The ES and RX fans are all over the styling because they don't like driving what they refer to as "boring" cars. So it's all show and image, but really, how long does that novelty last?

I often get a laugh out of how many trendy style fans will call Audi's looks "boring" on Car Chat and refer to Lexus styling as exciting or bold or some sort wonderful "polarizing" bit that's meant to provoke a reaction - all taken from Toyota PR of course, lol. There may be a very hard lesson learned by Toyota/Lexus stylists at some point when the numbers fall.

I looked at the new LS and thought, what an exciting vehicle in terms of its evolution from a stodgy old man's car. Too bad they had to wrap it in that body and put that front end on it. A shame.
Old 03-03-18, 05:50 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I like the Spindle grill on Lexus coupes and some SUVs, but not the sedans, so I am not all for the spindle grill, but I still feel the current Audi styling to be very boring, more so than Mercedes and even BMW(which I also don’t care for).
Old 03-03-18, 06:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi

For 2018, Lexus in US market is growing actually faster than Audi, without having as many models (so it can grow even more). I am not sure how LS not selling like S550 means Audi will outsell it. Or how FWD SUVs are saving Lexus, while all Audi does is sell FWD based vehicles.

So numbers wise, what are you seeing in Audi sales - dominated by Q3 and Q5 growth as well as huge A3, A6, A7, A8 drop (Lexus anyone?)?
I did not know that A5 was RWD vehicle.

Also, Lexus so far in 2018 is outgrowing BMW, MB as well as Audi in units sold. I am not sure how is that going to be a wakeup call for Lexus.
Old 03-03-18, 07:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
For 2018, Lexus in US market is growing actually faster than Audi, without having as many models (so it can grow even more)
? Charts in or linked in this thread show lexus up 9.6% ytd vs last year and audi up 11%.

but yes lexus has 37k ytd vs 30k for audi while leader mb has 50k but flat vs last year.

numbers wise, what are you seeing in Audi sales - dominated by Q3 and Q5 growth as well as huge A3, A6, A7, A8 drop (Lexus anyone?)?
I did not know that A5 was RWD vehicle.
speaking of a5 it appears to be a huge hit so likely why a6 down some.
Old 03-03-18, 10:29 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
What are the Feb. 2018 sales numbers on the LS500? I wonder if it's meeting it's projected target of 1K/month? I'm looking at a couple of sites and they show 548 sold in the US and a big 0 in Canada. I wouldn't be surprised if the units that have been shipped out and are on dealer lots are mostly fully loaded and hitting the $100K mark. That's getting awfully close to other vehicles in the class.
The LS500 was only on sale for the last half of February. Next month will be the first full month.
Old 03-04-18, 04:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

The LS500 was only on sale for the last half of February. Next month will be the first full month.
plus the sales numbers will probably combine left over ls460/l and ls500 so it will still be unclear.
Old 03-04-18, 05:54 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, February is probably a "blended" month. Leftover 4LS deals and the incoming 5LS.
Old 03-05-18, 09:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

GS69 - thank you again for all the release posts.

Quick Reply: February 2018 Sales Thread