Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Peugeot 508 revealed

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-18, 05:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Back to the 508, I agree the exterior is nicely-done, but the dash and console are awkward. Even though the primary/secondary gauges are all in one housing, on one level, the overall visual effect still, IMO, reminds one too much of the former split-level Honda Civic dashes.
Old 02-23-18, 06:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I was just refering to the different types of "P" buttons, to avoid confusion. There are three basic kinds, as what Tex and I posted.

Speaking of the sonar one (with the beepers), with the lousy rear visibility on today's vehicles (seeing the end of the trunk-lid is usually impossible) I don't know why anyone would want to turn that sonar back-up feature off in the first place.....unless they are just depending on the back-up camera.
A reasonable example is drive-thru's with corners and bushes. Being able to temporarily turn them off is wonderful.
Old 02-23-18, 06:56 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
No he was referring to the button on the actual transmission shifter at the base
Thanks. I missed that button the first I looked at it. I see it now.
Old 02-23-18, 07:08 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I was just refering to the different types of "P" buttons, to avoid confusion. There are three basic kinds, as what Tex and I posted.

Speaking of the sonar one (with the beepers), with the lousy rear visibility on today's vehicles (seeing the end of the trunk-lid is usually impossible) I don't know why anyone would want to turn that sonar back-up feature off in the first place.....unless they are just depending on the back-up camera.
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
A reasonable example is drive-thru's with corners and bushes. Being able to temporarily turn them off is wonderful.
To add to what Hoovey suggested, you may want to turn off the parking assist in any place that is extremely close, including backing into tight parking spaces; in these circumstances where you want to get as close as possible, it is better to rely on vision (mirrors, back-up camera or surround-view cameras).

These sonar systems also have a problem in snow. My front sensors tend to go off if I am driving in certain snow conditions, even light snow. They will also go off if the sensors become blocked by snow or dirt from driving on dirty winter roads.
Old 02-23-18, 07:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
These sonar systems also have a problem in snow. My front sensors tend to go off if I am driving in certain snow conditions, even light snow. They will also go off if the sensors become blocked by snow or dirt from driving on dirty winter roads.
Yes, that's a point. I've had that happen to me a couple of times. Generally more the case with ice, though, than snow. Ice can screw up the little sonar-circles on the bumpers.
Old 02-24-18, 06:48 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You mean that button with this symbol?

That is the electric parking / emergency brake (in place of the parking lever).
No--at the bottom of the gearshift. Not not the console.
Old 02-24-18, 06:55 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, at least 4 "P" kinds of buttons, because there are 3 in this pic:

Plus, you ID'd this additional style for parking sonar:

Sounds like the active park assist is the answer I was looking for.

Thanks all.
Old 02-24-18, 07:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Well, at least 4 "P" kinds of buttons, because there are 3 in this pic:

Good point on the "P" on the shift-lever for PARK. Unlike the others, though, on some vehicles (as on my Lacrosse) Park will engage automatically when you stop the car and turn off the engine. That's, of course, a safety feature to keep the car from rolling away in Neutral, which got a well-known actor killed by a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Old 02-24-18, 08:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Love it! Very French, especially the interior. Lived in France for a time and even with their quirks, there’s something I quite like about Peugeot.
Old 02-24-18, 10:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Love it! Very French, especially the interior. Lived in France for a time and even with their quirks, there’s something I quite like about Peugeot.
French-designed cars, like older Buicks, used to be known for soft, living-room-like seats, long suspension-travel, and a very soft ride (which often allowed a lot of body-roll as well). That's what the French public demanded. The controls/switches, though, could be exasperating by traditional American standards...on my brother's old Renault 5 (LeCar), for instance, signal for a left turn the way you do with most other vehicles, and you turned the headlights off LOL. And there was only one flashing green light on the dash, with a double-arrow, for both left and right turns.

I haven't had a chance to check out more recent French designs (the last one sold in the U.S. was the Dodge Monaco/Eagle Premier, a rebadged French Renault 25)...though there may be some French influence in more recent Nissans.
Old 02-28-18, 07:10 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

That instrument cluster seems especially high up. Are you supposed to be look at it over the top of the steering wheel rim (like the digital speedometer in the old Honda Civics)? Will the rim block the view of the instruments?
Yes. Newer Peugeots have the iCockpit, which have a smaller steering wheel and the instruments mounted higher so you look over the top of the wheel - kind of halfway between a traditional instrument cluster and a head up display. If you set your driving position correctly it works well but if not you can feel as if the wheel is obscuring them. Not everyone can get along with it.
Old 02-21-19, 10:28 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Peugeot 508 hybrid

Two electric motors provide sporty AWD performance

Sporty Peugeots have always been in the core of the French brand, even if they have often been about lightness more than outright power. But for the new, electrified Peugeot era, some large amounts of horsepower are in order. Take this 508-based, Geneva-bound hybrid concept for an example.

The attitude of Peugeot's recently-released 508 sedan is already quite sporty as it stands. The bucket seats are shapely, the steering wheel is seemingly off a go-kart, and the entire four-door sedan seems like it wants to be a low-slung sports coupe instead. But with some Peugeot Sport DNA and several motors, both gasoline and electric, there are chances that the 508 can reach the full potential the sharp design promises.

The 508 Peugeot Sport Engineered starts with a 508 bodyshell and a regular-issue, "PureTech" 200-horsepower 1.6-liter four-cylinder turbo engine, but with some hybrid goodies added. On the front axle, there's now a 110-horsepower electric motor, and for the rear axle, Peugeot Sport has added a 200-hp electric motor. Combined power in this all-wheel-drive concept is a neat figure of 400, which propels the car to 62 mph in 4.3 seconds. The top speed is limited to 155 mph, and there's nearly 370 lb-ft of torque.

Going on electric power alone, the 508 manages 31 miles with its 11.8 kWh battery pack fitted under the rear seats, and its CO2 output is a pleasingly low 49g per km in the WLTP cycle. Outside, the design hasn't been altered much: The car sits lower and wider, there are bespoke aero parts but no rear spoiler, new 20-inch wheels show off new brake parts, and contrasting details have been added in "Kryptonite" green. The interior appears largely stock, but with new half-leather, half-Alcantara trim and reshaped details in the ceiling, pillars and doors. The small steering wheel is also covered in Alcantara, and there are Kryptonite highlights everywhere.

Since the earlier full-electric e-Legend coupe concept is reportedly not going into production, we're also slightly suspicious of the 400-hp 508's production potential; however, the super-powerful concept has been created with real-world parts and real-world consumption figures. It would also serve the bold 508 sedan well to have a halo car like this in the range, even if it sold in limited numbers. And with Peugeot throwing slogans such as "Neo-Performance" and "Unboring the Future," we're getting the feeling that the company really wants to use this technology in a production car.
Source
Old 02-23-19, 05:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Too bad it’s not available in the u.s.
Old 03-01-19, 07:19 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

We should be getting this breath of fresh automotive designed car stateside!