Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CIAS 2018 (Canadian International Autoshow) in Toronto

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-18, 09:32 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Despite the "International" tag in the name, the Toronto autoshow is still a local, dealer-sponsored show; it is up to the local dealers to decide whether or not to attend the show.
Yeah, it's "international" as much as the MLB's "World Series" is.

Originally Posted by RX469
Nice pics, thanks for sharing.
Was fun doing it, glad to contribute!

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns

Honestly could not tell what this generically styled heavily derivative car was for a solid 30 seconds.

Looks like a Chinese knockoff of a last gen 5 series with an Acura TLX C-pillar thrown in for good measure.

Totally agree on the safe BMW/TLX styling And that blue IMO simply does not work well with its more classy lines.

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Man, that f-pace interior is so bland looking.
My pleasure! It's actually an E-Pace and the one shown topped out at 62K Cdn ! Not impressed with its last-gen Tucson styling and cramped/plasticky interior. Latest Jags have lost their styling originality and luxury presence in their interiors.

Old 02-19-18, 09:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Agree that the Jaguar interiors are not as great as they used to be. At least from a luxury POV. I would be interested to know what the Jaguar SUV sales numbers are? I have no idea but if they are selling well, then the buyers are obviously connecting with the SUVs.
Old 02-19-18, 10:27 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Yes, you're right.
did some googling and it's the 2019 G70, found this article:

https://www.auto123.com/en/news/2019...ontreal/64330/

I must say it's looking pretty good. Somehow pictures from the last G70 thread weren't that impressive.

I agree. It has a nice understated look.
Old 02-19-18, 05:37 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Daily Planet on the Discovery Channel had a preview segment during media opening, they spent a lot of time talking about the Lexus LS+ Concept. Impressed with the level of tech about o come.
Old 02-19-18, 06:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Agree that the Jaguar interiors are not as great as they used to be. At least from a luxury POV. .
It's obvious what they are doing...chasing after younger buyers, who don't necessarily care for the acres of rich polished-wood and Connally leather that characterized earlier models. Only, a lot of younger people (I won't say all, but as a group) simply don't have the kind of funds it takes to get into a new Jag.

This was one of my favorite Jag interiors, BTW....the last-generation XJ. By your comments, I take it that you agree. The only thing I didn't care for was the odd "J" shaped shift-pattern on the console....which was a Jaguar trademark for some years.

Old 02-19-18, 06:41 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's obvious what they are doing...chasing after younger buyers, who don't necessarily care for the acres of rich polished-wood and Connally leather that characterized earlier models. Only, a lot of younger people (I won't say all, but as a group) simply don't have the kind of funds it takes to get into a new Jag.

This was one of my favorite Jag interiors, BTW....the last-generation XJ. By your comments, I take it that you agree. The only thing I didn't care for was the odd "J" shaped shift-pattern on the console....which was a Jaguar trademark for some years.

Last good Jag exterior too.

Old 02-19-18, 07:13 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

This was one of my favorite Jag interiors, BTW....the last-generation XJ.
That's what happens when an entire generation grows up with their eyes glued to smartphone and tablet screens with instant messaging via texts. Everything is a rolling cube, blob or transformer toy with wheels that came out of one the movies or cartoons.

That particular XJ was one of the most beautiful cars they styled. I drove its replacement way back circa 2013 in Las Vegas and it was great to drive but soulless. That was the XF. It hasn't aged well at all. Looks anonymous vs the XJ. The previous XJ simply looks like history and pedigree updated for its time. The Genesis is nice enough but too bland. Buyers should head over to Kia and get the Stinger IMHO.
Old 02-20-18, 06:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
That particular XJ was one of the most beautiful cars they styled. I drove its replacement way back circa 2013 in Las Vegas and it was great to drive but soulless. That was the XF. It hasn't aged well at all. Looks anonymous vs the XJ. The previous XJ simply looks like history and pedigree updated for its time.
It may look like history....but what a look.

The Genesis is nice enough but too bland. Buyers should head over to Kia and get the Stinger IMHO.
Not sure what you mean by "bland" Genesis G70 might give one the best of both worlds there....the Stinger's platform plus Genesis luxury and plushness inside.
Old 02-20-18, 05:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

yes i couldn't figure out what the blue g70 was at first... i thought it was yet another variant of the bmw 3 series. i don't care for the 'look at me' blue color either but it's good for auto shows to get noticed.
Old 02-20-18, 05:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

oh and corradoMR2 - agree with others, great pics and thanks for sharing!!!
Old 02-20-18, 05:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Last good Jag exterior too.

Agreed this XJ was nice. V12 is cool. But I actually really like the current XJ
Old 02-20-18, 06:14 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Its great to see so many cars at the Toronto autoshow that I didn't see in Detroit last month! I'm heading down to the Toronto autoshow tomorrow.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yes i couldn't figure out what the blue g70 was at first... i thought it was yet another variant of the bmw 3 series. i don't care for the 'look at me' blue color either but it's good for auto shows to get noticed.
It took me a few seconds to realize this was a Genesis too. The G70 wasn't at the Detroit show either, look forward to seeing what they've brought against the infamous 3 series.

Curious, were there any Chinese automakers at the Toronto show? They were at the Detroit show, and some of their interiors impressed me.
Old 02-20-18, 06:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Its great to see so many cars at the Toronto autoshow that I didn't see in Detroit last month! I'm heading down to the Toronto autoshow tomorrow.

It took me a few seconds to realize this was a Genesis too. The G70 wasn't at the Detroit show either, look forward to seeing what they've brought against the infamous 3 series.
The G70 isn't even on the Genesis web site yet. Unless I just overlooked it (which sometimes happens), I looked the site over carefully and didn't see it, even under "Future Vehicles". They do, of course, have their upcoming GV80 SUV on the site.
Old 02-20-18, 07:27 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ The problem I had with that blue G70 was that I could not identify it from its side profile (and others have noted this too). Totally inoffensive styling that just doesn't tell you what you're looking at. But then they add some sort of silly "boomerangs" hanging off the fenders. This is something BMW is guilty of as well, and of course Jaguar in the pics above with the XJR and its side vents.

Kia's Stinger also has these weird growths emanating from the hood. Hood blisters/vents that are useless and nonfunctional not to mention the same fake vents tacked onto the fenders like some decorative junk. You kinda feel like you're in some sort of 80s or 90s movie where the hero shows up in an overly pimped out fast car.
Old 02-20-18, 10:10 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
^^^
Kia's Stinger also has these weird growths emanating from the hood. Hood blisters/vents that are useless and nonfunctional not to mention the same fake vents tacked onto the fenders like some decorative junk. You kinda feel like you're in some sort of 80s or 90s movie where the hero shows up in an overly pimped out fast car.
The side fender vents on the Stinger are functional. They vent brake cooling air inducted from the vents in the lower outboard side of the front fascia. The hood "vents" are indeed fake.

Quick Reply: CIAS 2018 (Canadian International Autoshow) in Toronto