Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

fascinating that people didn't used to finance cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-18, 07:12 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Marshall, you need to realize that a lot of the people on this board are so damn wealthy(and old) that losing their job tomorrow wouldn't be that big of a deal, they have so much damn money invested they could pay off all their debts without it really affecting their overall net worth. Now if they have 3 kids, $20,000 a year for private school tuition, planning to send them to Yale with MBA's for a cool half million each, yeah maybe that's a different story for those folks.

With interest rates being so damn low, it makes more sense to have a mortgage and/or a car payment and invest that money for the long term. You need to think about having $500,000 or $1,000,000 cash tied up into buying your house outright or if its better to have a stupid cheap APR on your mortgage and then invest that $1,000,000 at a higher rate of return.

Marshall, what you are saying makes perfect sense when interest rates are sky high, if you have the cash, buy your car or house if a loan is something stupid like 8% or 10%
This is so true. Right now, interest rates are so low that those who are able to take advantage of this leverage can really make good money. I financed my minivan for 0.9% though Honda and I used that to invest in a dividend growth fund in the last 5 years. Its yielded near 20% per year. I know im not always going to get this but even a spread of 5% between debt and average return on equity is worth financing. Honestly, ive been in finance forever and most of my finance colleagues approach car buying this way. People should embrace leverage if they know how to use it properly. Its a powerful tool to build wealth.
Old 02-18-18, 10:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Marshall, you need to realize that a lot of the people on this board are so damn wealthy(and old) that losing their job tomorrow wouldn't be that big of a deal, they have so much damn money invested they could pay off all their debts without it really affecting their overall net worth. Now if they have 3 kids, $20,000 a year for private school tuition, planning to send them to Yale with MBA's for a cool half million each, yeah maybe that's a different story for those folks.

With interest rates being so damn low, it makes more sense to have a mortgage and/or a car payment and invest that money for the long term. You need to think about having $500,000 or $1,000,000 cash tied up into buying your house outright or if its better to have a stupid cheap APR on your mortgage and then invest that $1,000,000 at a higher rate of return.

Marshall, what you are saying makes perfect sense when interest rates are sky high, if you have the cash, buy your car or house if a loan is something stupid like 8% or 10%

We can just agree to disagree on that...and I respect your opinion. In my book, no-debt beats debt almost every time. True, one can invest the money they would have used to pay off the vehicle. But, in this recent volatile stock market and its daily wild roller-coaster swings, and the unacceptably-low interest rates on almost all fixed-income investments except for some tax-free municipal bonds, investing really doesn't get one very far.
Old 02-18-18, 11:30 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
We can just agree to disagree on that...and I respect your opinion. In my book, no-debt beats debt almost every time. True, one can invest the money they would have used to pay off the vehicle. But, in this recent volatile stock market and its daily wild roller-coaster swings, and the unacceptably-low interest rates on almost all fixed-income investments except for some tax-free municipal bonds, investing really doesn't get one very far.
I have to disagree with this. A lot of successful and financially secure people would also disagree.
Old 02-18-18, 11:51 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

interest rates were a lot higher back then compared to now. Back then it was actually beneficial to store cash so you can get the interest
Old 02-18-18, 12:30 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

There are a number of factors that have made this happen:
  1. Many people's wages have not kept up with the rise in prices of needed consumer items, including automobiles. People who in the past were able to pay cash for a car now cannot afford to do so, and are forced to borrow or lease to pay for their cars.
  2. Credit has been very cheap -- almost free -- in the past decade. This has lowered the monthly rates.
  3. Banks have increased the loan terms, from an average of 3 to 4 years to averages of 6, 7 and 8 years; this allows for lower monthly rates. And with semi-monthly or even weekly repayment schedules, the rate becomes very low.
With very low repayment rates, it seems that buying a car with someone else's money is very cheap and easy, so it becomes a very easy decision to borrow to buy a car.
Old 02-18-18, 01:42 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

rich people borrow money all the time. they get rich by using other people's money.

If you can borrow at 0%, and you have the means to pay it off on day 1, it's still better to borrow and keep your cash for other investments which give you a better return.
Old 02-18-18, 01:50 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't hate me for this but if you do not have equity worth of what you are purchasing then you are hitting a risk even with 0% financing. I just live by that rule cause it makes my life simple, if I can't cash it out I won't buy it. No wonder I live in a condo and not a house Thank God salary does not constitute my only income, it actually helps me save cause I only use the salary to live through the month in comfort. Just a thought that I have to slice up my salary as sole income for trivial things in real life like premium badged vehicles, fancy cell phones, pricey suits, jewelry, etc is very scary. I see all the time folks who are 20 years older than me trying to find a way to finance or lease for new BMW even after they refinanced two times their old BMW and still failed.

Now if you have a corp or business then it's reasonable to finance cause there is not a lot you can loose. I mean there is but you have at least one more layer of protection.
Old 02-18-18, 02:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I have to disagree with this. A lot of successful and financially secure people would also disagree.
I'm successful and financially secure myself. Never been in debt (except for a brief period when my house was new)....and never plan to. And, yes, fixed-income investments helped me take an early retirement. But that was also when interest rates were considerably higher than they are today. Today, you are lucky to get 3-4% on municipal bonds, though that is federally tax-free, and sometimes also state-tax-free.

Yes, you can make money with stocks if the market is timed right, but it is risky at best...and you pay capital gains tax to the IRS and state.

The best way to finance a car, of course, if possible, is to get a 0% loan...we sometimes see that with automakers with strong incentives to sell certain vehicles. Then, with essentially free money (even more so, counting for inflation), yes, any interest you earn on an investment will profit will help you pay off the loan.
Old 02-18-18, 03:56 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Yes, you can make money with stocks if the market is timed right, but it is risky at best...and you pay capital gains tax to the IRS and state.

mm, while I generally subscribe to the buy a car outright approach myself , nearly the entire investing professional community will tell you that you are dead wrong in the above in the long run and has the statistics and math to prove it
Old 02-18-18, 04:31 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Yep, that's been my creed as well, at least for an auto purchase.... "If you can't write a clear check for it, you can't afford it."
Almost 50 years I drove company car. Replacement when 3 year old or reached 100 K Km. When I retired I took the one I was driving which was pretty well optioned
out of my pocket for whole sale value. From then on I pay in full when I get new ones as well as wife's. Same with other things. Think paying off mortgage asap was a
good idea.
Old 02-18-18, 06:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Htony
Same with other things. Think paying off mortgage asap was a
good idea.
Totally agreed.....even more so with a mortgage. Once the house-note is clear, paid off, and the deed is in your name, that's probably more important than even a car. Even if you lose your job, you'll still have a place to live and sleep.

Almost 50 years I drove company car. Replacement when 3 year old or reached 100 K Km. When I retired I took the one I was driving which was pretty well optioned out of my pocket for whole sale value. From then on I pay in full when I get new ones as well as wife's
Replacing a car at three-year intervals (assuming that you buy and not lease) gets you at least past the biggest bath taken on depreciation, as the steep depreciation curve, with most vehicles, starts to flatten out after 2-3 years. It's not as economical as keeping them 5-6 years, but, if you put a lot of miles on them, you can run into significant repairs at that 5-6 year age. Besides normal maintenance-items, with normal mileage and driving habits, the most likely things that will need replacing in the first three years are tires and brake-pads...figure 30-40K on average, though that can vary a bit by vehicle.
Old 02-18-18, 06:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4

mm, while I generally subscribe to the buy a car outright approach myself , nearly the entire investing professional community will tell you that you are dead wrong in the above in the long run and has the statistics and math to prove it
Agreed...but I wasn't necessarily talking about the long-run (sorry if that wasn't clear) , but simply (per the thread-topic) how it involves buying a car. The average person doesn't invest for a lifetime to simply buy one vehicle...and many only keep a car for a couple of years.

Fixed-income investments, BTW, did work for me in the long run.....but I realize that my personal situation, especially before I retired, was not necessarily the same as that of many others. Being unmarried, a house paid off, and without kids, I had fewer responsibilities and fewer other expenses.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-18-18 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-18-18, 06:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

This is an old argument that has been beat to death on this forum. I will say that I have always financed cars, and for me it makes financial sense to lease cars vs finance them, and I certainly would never consider buying a car in cash, and have no interest in paying off my house until such time as I have no income from which to deduct the mortgage interest. Financially taking money out of my investments wouldn’t make sense, and because I can deduct vehicles for business expense and like to trade vehicles often, it only makes sense for me to lease

If you have a family and goals for a lifestyle for your family, education for your children and a retirement for yourself, you simply must invest or you will never have wealth. If I lived on 20% of my income and saved the rest in an account that wasn’t invested there’s no way I could retire or put my kids through college, and no way we could live any sort of lifestyle we would want.
Old 02-18-18, 06:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This is an old argument that has been beat to death on this forum.

It might have been beaten to death for us, Steve (and a few others), since we've discussed it a number of times, but there are always new people coming into the market (many just a few years out of high school or college) who don't have our experiences or accumulated knowledge, and are genuinely looking for some advice for that first purchase or lease. When I bought my first new car, for example, I just barely knew how to write a check, and had never had a credit card. I had enough in my bank-accounts (and then some) to cover it, but, yes, it made a big dent in that account, even buying an inexpensive compact.

Unfortunately, back then, the Internet did not exist, we didn't have social-media or forums like this, and one could not get 24/7 advice around the clock. Now, we can.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-18-18 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-18-18, 10:44 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally agreed.....even more so with a mortgage. Once the house-note is clear, paid off, and the deed is in your name, that's probably more important than even a car. Even if you lose your job, you'll still have a place to live and sleep.
What about property taxes?

Quick Reply: fascinating that people didn't used to finance cars