Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-18, 06:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Hoovey Review: 2018 Lexus LS500

Got to spend a few a few days with the LS 500. I'll add pictures later.

The original Lexus LS was a revolution in the luxury segment and automotive industry. As the LS evolved in its second and third generations it improved on its laurels, and furthered its promise of building the finest cars ever built. When the L-Finesse design language was applied to the fourth generation, the 4LS was elegant and had a technical sophistication, but something was always lacking. Most notably there were short cuts in materials and fit and finish. Overall we turned a blind eye for those shortcomings because it was still a fine vehicle, and still a Lexus. Fast forward into its life cycle and the competition was not standing pat, the LS was suddenly far removed from the limelight. Soldiering on for a decade, the LS was the oldest among its peers and faced stiff competition from old foes and new faces. The excitement and passion surrounding a Lexus flagship while lacking for many years was reinvigorated with the introduction of the LF-FC concept. Spurred by the LF-LC and ultimately the LC and the new GA-L platform, the fifth generation LS while not revolutionary, picks up the evolutionary reins and announces to the segment “I’m still here”.

Exterior:

The LS500 like many new Lexus’s, is a vehicle you need to see in person. Overall I find it to be very polarizing in a good way. There are still some angles that are odd, but the overall execution of the Spindle design and elements mixed with modern L-Finesse is pleasing. The grill alone is art, in that there are over 5000 individual surfaces that reflect light. My one gripe is the gap between the grill and the hood. I’d prefer the grill to extend to meet the hood. If you’re going to do a big grill then don’t be shy! The headlights are good looking with the standard triple LED projectors (optional AFS) and the incorporated DRLs have a sharp flow to them that reminds me of Japanese calligraphy. The design of the lower air ducts gives the 5LS an aggressive wide stance appearance. The side profile of the LS500 is reminiscent of the LF-FC concept, but the execution still reminds me of the slab look which the LS460 also had, just with more flair. The rear end is the weakest part for me. Very generic Lexus which is to say is pleasant, but safe. I’d of liked to see more LC inspiration. The taillights with the Lexus L hockey sticks found on many new Lexus’s look good.

This LS500 was done in a new color and bound to be very popular called Maganese Luster. If Atomic Silver and Nebula Gray had a baby, I think this would be it. This is a premium paint and costs an extra $595. My LS500 tester had the 20” split 10-spoke with the Vapor Chrome finish. Stock wheels are 19 inch. It should be mentioned this is the third Lexus to go with run-flat tires, the first two being the SC and LC. I didn’t find them to be all that harsh, but I’d rather have a spare which there is none. In the trunk, like the LC underneath the floor is where you’ll find the battery and several fuse boxes. The inside of the trunk as expected is carpeted top to bottom. This LS500 had the power trunk. The brakes are large and get the job done, though the caliper seemed dull in color despite there being no brake dust. Also I’m a big fan of this, standard on LS’s now is the soft close doors, so you can leave them cracked and the doors will pull themselves in. This was available as an option on older LS460’s.

Inside of the engine bay, like the 4LS, plastic covers hide everything. On the cooling plate are two snorkels which feed the dual intakes. Otherwise there’s not much to see. Like the LC there are four tube sensors underneath the hood that can determine an impact and can ‘pop’ the hood up if it determines someone may collapse onto the hood. This helps reduce the body from absorbing the full impact with the engine.

Interior:

This is the best part about the 5LS IMHO. The first thing I noticed when getting into the LS, was that the doors have heft to them. I got a lot of compliments for the interior door panels which are works of art in themselves. Different colors, textures, and soft touch materials grace the panels. The ambient lighting is soft and elegant though I wish you could change the color. The door handles are done in a beautiful satin trim and the shape feels good to the touch. The window and lock controls appear to be floating which also got many compliments. The controls had chrome tips which are nice touches, and I found on this model the rear window controls when lightly depressed/pulled will slide the rear passenger window shades.

The interior is overall spacious especially in the rear which last years long wheelbase has become the new norm. No more SWB. Everything you touch in this car is nice. I had a hard time finding a surface that I didn’t like though when I did, it didn’t matter much. The bezel around the gauge cluster which holds the dimmer switch and ODO button is that easy to scratch gray plastic that I’ve complained about on the LX. Other than that, the materials are something else. The overall dash design is unique. I personally love how the lines flow and wrap around the start button and HVAC vents.

The steering wheel got a lot of praise for the wood, brushed aluminum, leather and stitching. Feels good to the touch, and has a good grip circumference. My major gripe with it was the controls, or rather the sea of buttons. I had the same problem with the LC. Being right handed, I found it awkward to use the menu’s on the multi-interface display (MID) which are located on the left. Volume is on one side, skipping tracks and presets is on the other. I could live with this though as the interior is just superb.

Trunk, hood, and gas buttons are all on the left like most Lexus and easy to reach. My LS500 tester also had the new 24” color HUD, which is neat, but needs more customization options for what you want to see or how to order the information. Also the HUD is almost useless during the day. The image is washed out in sun. The auto-high beams (which are standard on all Lexus with SS+ now) work decent at night. Some cars driving past at night would flash their lights because they thought my high beams were on when truth is the low beams just illuminate the road well. Oh well

The seating on my tester was outstanding. This LS500 had the $12,290 Luxury package which means it had the 28-way power driver and passenger seat with the multifunction massage. I was a big fan of the Centrifugal massage which you can adjust the pressure. You could also do Centripetal, upper body, lower body, and lumbar massages. Luxury package also gets you the quilted-stitch leather seats, ultrasuede headliner, four-zone climate concierge, power side window sunshades, and a 7.0” touch screen controller for the rear. The sound system was the optional Mark Levinson 23-speaker 2,400 watt system. I am not an audiophile, but this was crisp and envelops you. I always thought the 835-watt ML system from other Lexus models was good, this is on a new level. The last bit of major technology on this car was the Lexus Safety System+ A. The standard LSS+ which is composed of Auto High Beams, Lane Departure Alert with Lane Keep Assist, Pre-Collision System, and All-Speed Radar Cruise Control goes a step furter with LSS+A which adds Active Steering Assist, Pedestrian Alert, Front Cross Traffic Alert, and Road Sign Assist. I found the latter to be particularly entertaining as I would come up to a stop sign, a little red stop sign would appear on the gauge cluster and my HUD.

Overall the dash is clean, which is a good thing. However that also means that everything is hiding in the Menus. I’ve mentioned before that the first generation of RTI (touchpad) was absolute garbage. This 2.0 version is far and away smoother and easier to use, though there is still a learning curve. It’s best to play with some of the function before you hit the road, just to familiarize oneself with the features location. All the heated seats, ventilated seats, massage functions, and heated steering wheel for example are under the climate menu when in the past I could just press a button or turn a ****. Now it takes a few extra steps.

The Navigation which we’ll call Gen10 is the same found on the 2018 LC, NX, and RC. The voice command works well, though still lacks in the ‘Find Nearby’ database. General things like banks, airports, atms, or more specific like Chevron, Starbucks, B of A are easy to get, but lesser known stores, and mom and pop shops are out of luck. There is an adaptive mode to train and learn the drivers’ voice which is good for people who have an accent or soft voice (less bass). That has been around since Gen8 navi though.

Most of the metals and plastics on the dash are satin, anodized, or brushed which feels great to the touch. I really like the small button dots for the seek.track, radio and media. The audio power **** is push style like most Lexus, but the tune is now at the base of the **** and you twist it. I really liked this implementation which saves space. I hope to see this on future Lexus models. The shifter is like the ones in Lexus hybrids, and in this iteration the shifter is like a small club. When you move it, it barely has any travel so unless I was looking at the gauges it was hard to tell that I was doing anything.

Unlike the LC, there is a sun-glass holder. Where the Lexus Enform SOS button is, there is now a plastic cover on it that you have to flip down in order to acces the SOS button. This is to reduce the likelihood of owners pressing the button by accident. Starting with 2018 models with Enform 2.0, you get the service for 10 years now rather than just one. Nice!

Drive:

Lexus has been adamant about crafting vehicles that are fun to drive, yet retain the philosophies and principles that make the car distinctly a Lexus. The LS500 is fun to drive, but not in the sense that it’s a canyon carver or a quarter mile king. It’s fun because it’s effortless. Sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, I didn’t have a sense that I wanted to run everyone off the road. Rather, I’m driving in a relaxed and serene environment that pampers you with comfort, convenience, and entertainment. Upon exiting the vehicle I feel refreshed.

When you start the LS500, the 3.5L TT V6 comes to life but it’s mostly muted through good sound insulation. From the outside it has a decent V6 ‘boom’ to it. Like the LC and LFA, the LS has its driver mode select and traction and snow mode above the gauges which are dubbed ‘horns’. Twist down for Comfort and Eco Mode, up for Sport and Sport+, and push the button on the end of the horn for Normal or Customize.

Press the accelerator and the LS moves along without protest. The shifts are virtually unnoticeable on the new Direct Shift 10-Speed automatic. Only once at low speed in Normal mode did I feel the car was hunting for a gear. The 3.5L TT V6 has 416hp and 442lbft @1600 rpm. It’s not as smooth or predictable as the outgoing 4.6L V8, but if the former engine was 10/10 on a smoothness factor, I’d give this an 8/10. There is the slightest hint of turbo lag, but the new LS can boogie. Lexus’s 4.6sec 0-60 claim isn’t far off. I’d say high 4’s low 5’s is the sweet spot. Acceleration is strong from a dig, and from a roll it’s monstrous for Lexus. The cabin is well insulated from wind, road, and tire noise so you can hit illegal speeds effortlessly in this car. I hit triple digits several times, twice unintentionally, and once.. well..

The Eco mode reduces throttle response and tries to get to the top end gears more quickly. I liked this one on the freeway since I was less inclined to mash the accelerator. The Comfort mode absorbed bumps and road imperfections well. If it didn’t I blamed it on the run-flats. This LS500 had the Adaptive Variable Air Suspension with a new feature called Rapid Height which can raise the vehicle at the push of a button. Some of the pictures I posted show the car in that position, so if you’re wondering why the wheel gap, well that’s why. The revised AVS responds to immediate driving conditions with 650 processes a second, which help minimize body motion. This is perhaps why I loved Comfort mode so much. I really wish Lexus would start adding Comfort mode to the GS, RX and other models ASAP. Steering based on the mode is effortless though a little artificial.

Sport mode feels like most, in that it holds the lower gears for more aggressive acceleration. Sport+ is what really surprised me, at least for an LS. When S+ is engaged the steering becomes noticeably tighter, suspension becomes firmer, and it goes a bit from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde. The transmission loved to stay in the 3-4K rpms when I’d let off the gas, keeping the engine in the powerband, step on it and she revs and surges. I’ll have to read more about it, but it feels like the intakes open up a bit more, because in S+ the engine really barks and has a personality to it. Not ‘pretty’ like a V8 or those old Infiniti VQ35’s, but not bad and I found a new appreciation for turbo sixes. In Sport+ the big sedan drives small, something I think people will appreciate.

Overall Impresssions:

The LS500 is a home run for Lexus. In order for the 5LS to be successful, their biggest challenge will be fighting complacency which plagued the 4LS. The new LS’s mission to further elevate the brand is IMO a welcome reboot to an already good formula. Suffice to say I am very smitten with the 5LS. The exterior is mostly attractive in my eyes, but it’s the interior that really stands out. The material selection is top notch, though I have not seen the base model yet. The LS is not perfect by any means, some things are missing or could be done better. The cheap bezel around the odometer could be better; there is no passenger seat control on the passenger seat (driver side) like the LS460 to slide the seat back; lots of features hidden in the menus mean there is learning curve; the HUD is washed out in sunlight; the backup camera resolution is bad, as in I feel my 2008 Lexus has a better one; the sea of steering wheel controls; run-flats, no-spare tire. None of that though would deter me from considering this car though. It’s a major step forward for Lexus and it’s wonderful to see how expressive Lexus was with this project. I hope the 5GS will be just as emotional.

The three words that Lexus has been holding close to heart while crafting these latest vehicles on the GA-L platform are: Brave, Thoughtful, and Imaginative. Lexus was brave to drop the V8 and put in place a powertrain that fits somewhere in the middle of a 740i and 750i. Lexus was thoughtful with features like seat belts that tighten and release during cornering, Lexus was imaginative when it came to the interior design. So far Lexus IMO has fulfilled those words with the LS. Some models further down the Lexus stable have some ways to go before we can associate them with those words, but Lexus is off to a great start. I implore everyone who shunned this car just because it lacks a V8 to go sit in one and test drive one.

Before anyone had a chance to experience the new LS500, chief engineer Toshio Asahi had this to say;

“Not only will the LS symbolize the Lexus brand, it will become the definitive new-generation luxury car embodying Japanese tradition and culture. As such, this global pinnacle must go far beyond what the world expects from a luxury car.”

From my experience, the man was on point.
Old 02-16-18, 07:33 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Great read. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 02-16-18, 07:47 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Thanks Hoovey, can't wait to check one out myself
Old 02-16-18, 08:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

This was a great read. What a great review, or better yet a great analysis of the new LS.
Old 02-16-18, 08:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks for the write-up...good job. Couple of questions/comments, though:

My one gripe is the gap between the grill and the hood. I’d prefer the grill to extend to meet the hood. If you’re going to do a big grill then don’t be shy!
That gap you speak of is only a couple of inches.....does it really make that much of a difference?

It’s best to play with some of the function before you hit the road, just to familiarize oneself with the features location. All the heated seats, ventilated seats, massage functions, and heated steering wheel for example are under the climate menu when in the past I could just press a button or turn a ****. Now it takes a few extra steps.
Just one more example of the maddening trend in new vehicles to do away with easy-use buttons/*****.

This is perhaps why I loved Comfort mode so much. I really wish Lexus would start adding Comfort mode to the GS, RX and other models ASAP.
Agreed. Sport or Sport + may be more responsive on sharp curves, but there's nothing like an easy cruise.

It should be mentioned this is the third Lexus to go with run-flat tires, the first two being the SC and LC. I didn’t find them to be all that harsh, but I’d rather have a spare which there is none.
Was this an AWD version you were testing? On some vehicles, run-flats are used with AWD because of packaging issues with spares and jacking-tools....although that's usually more the case with FWD/AWD platforms, whereas the LS is RWD/AWD.

you can hit illegal speeds effortlessly in this car. I hit triple digits several times, twice unintentionally, and once.. well..
Did that ......"well"...... mean this?

When you start the LS500, the 3.5L TT V6 comes to life but it’s mostly muted through good sound insulation.
Did it make you recall the old LS campaigne-class commercial?

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-16-18 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-16-18, 09:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Great review. Can't wait for the pics.
I hope this vehicle sets a new standard for the brand. There are styling features I'm hot on (front looks good), and others I'm not. I agree, I think the rear is the weakest link. The tailpipe and lighting shapes do not gell with each other or the bustle-butt trunk lid.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 02-16-18 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-16-18, 10:00 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

thanks for sharing your thoughts, i appreciate the opinion of someone who genuinely cares about this stuff. i will totally admit to being one of the people that shunned the lack of V8, and your comments on the slight turbo lag, lack of a 'pretty' sound, and reduced smoothness seem to reinforce some of my skepticisms... but it is a Lexus LS after all so i'm sure it's awesome and the "shortcomings" are almost immediately forgotten once that midrange turbo torque just pulls you down the road the way an n/a engine doesn't.

you as someone who is also into cars saying there's hidden menus and a learning curve makes me worried what regular people will think lol, one of the things i love so much about the 400 is the basically total lack of learning curve. every control is very straightforward and apparent, all the functionality is always available.

the other part of me also worries how all these fancy new systems will still be working 15 or 20 years from now, longevity is another important factor in how "good" a car is to me. but like i said, it's a Lexus LS and toyota seems very proud of this new iteration so i'm optimistic. i'm happy to see the LS finally catch up to its rivals in areas that have been a bit lacking as of recently, and of course we probably will have an LS F on the horizon! that should be fun...
Old 02-16-18, 10:03 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
he just wrote this review didn't he lol...
Old 02-16-18, 10:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
he just wrote this review didn't he lol...
I was being facetious. But Hoovey does have a point.....some vehicles are so silky that it is possible to let one's speed get out of hand without one's physical senses noticing it at first. The LS, of course (along with newer Mercedes S550s), has a long history of being near the ultimate in cocoon-like road and noise isolation.
Old 02-16-18, 10:24 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

I was being facetious. But Hoovey does have a point.....some vehicles are so silky that it is possible to let one's speed get out of hand without one's physical senses noticing it at first. The LS, of course (along with newer Mercedes S550s), has a long history of being near the ultimate in cocoon-like road and noise isolation.
you don't need to tell me haha, i'm fortunate enough to have two of the possibly most isolated from speed cars out there. when they first designed the LS they literally ran it at top speed on the autobahn "all day" with completely fine results. and the E55 basically just multiplies the speed factor by like 35% but has MUCH bigger brakes and better high speed handling. otherwise the LS is nicer.
Old 02-17-18, 01:28 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by JDR76
Great read. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it!

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Thanks Hoovey, can't wait to check one out myself
Appreciated. Definitely do, when you get the chance. It’s a different side of Lexus for sure, or new chapter if you will.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This was a great read. What a great review, or better yet a great analysis of the new LS.
Thanks for the kind words!

Thanks for the write-up...good job. Couple of questions/comments, though:

That gap you speak of is only a couple of inches.....does it really make that much of a difference?

Just one more example of the maddening trend in new vehicles to do away with easy-use buttons/*****.

Agreed. Sport or Sport + may be more responsive on sharp curves, but there's nothing like an easy cruise.

Was this an AWD version you were testing? On some vehicles, run-flats are used with AWD because of packaging issues with spares and jacking-tools....although that's usually more the case with FWD/AWD platforms, whereas the LS is RWD/AWD.

Did it make you recall the old LS campaigne-class commercial?
Thanks! And sure.

Not at all, that comment was just personal preference of grill meeting hood line.

Yeah they could of added a few more redundant buttons. The lack of a physical A/C button on most Lexus models is a pet peeve of mine as well.

I like cars that have modes that can be adaptive. The ability to change a cars demeanor at the flick of a wrist is nice. Especially when you can bias it one way or the other.

Nope this was RWD. The space where a spare would be like on every LS of the past is gone. So they have gone to run flats. The car is already slightly porky 4,700-5,100 lbs depending on AWD, Hybrid, and Executive Package. The LS500 is rated at 30 hwy mpg, not too shabby for 416hp. On the freeway in Normal and Eco modes I could manage 28-29mpg. In Sport it was getting around 18 mpg

It means I found myself on an empty back country road north or south of the border I can’t recall

Classic commercial.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Great review. Can't wait for the pics.
I hope this vehicle sets a new standard for the brand. There are styling features I'm hot on (front looks good), and others I'm not. I agree, I think the rear is the weakest link. The tailpipe and lighting shapes do not gell with each other or the bustle-butt trunk lid.
The brand for sure. The result of the LF-1 premium RWD crossover concept will be a first major test as well as how they handle ES, GS, and IS within the next two years.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
thanks for sharing your thoughts, i appreciate the opinion of someone who genuinely cares about this stuff. i will totally admit to being one of the people that shunned the lack of V8, and your comments on the slight turbo lag, lack of a 'pretty' sound, and reduced smoothness seem to reinforce some of my skepticisms... but it is a Lexus LS after all so i'm sure it's awesome and the "shortcomings" are almost immediately forgotten once that midrange turbo torque just pulls you down the road the way an n/a engine doesn't.

you as someone who is also into cars saying there's hidden menus and a learning curve makes me worried what regular people will think lol, one of the things i love so much about the 400 is the basically total lack of learning curve. every control is very straightforward and apparent, all the functionality is always available.

the other part of me also worries how all these fancy new systems will still be working 15 or 20 years from now, longevity is another important factor in how "good" a car is to me. but like i said, it's a Lexus LS and toyota seems very proud of this new iteration so i'm optimistic. i'm happy to see the LS finally catch up to its rivals in areas that have been a bit lacking as of recently, and of course we probably will have an LS F on the horizon! that should be fun...
I did too when the news broke a few years ago now. I know Lexus hasn’t abandon the V8 completely as there’s currently a forced induction unit in the works. But if it’ll ever be in the LS I’m not sure. I’ve heard it’s destined for the GS F, RC F, and a rumored LC F. I would like to see more powertrains offerings in the future though. Lexus must keep the LS desirable, hopefully by paying closer attention to it this time. As to the new mill, that last sentence sums up the midrange power. 442lbft available at 1600rpm.. can we stuff this in a lighter GS yet?

They can still do better on the touchpad which is still slightly clunky, and they could add a few more redundant controls.

More catching up can be had but I do believe they are driven by kaizen and continuous improvement.
Old 02-17-18, 10:39 AM
Hoovey689

When I picked up the LS, this specific LS 500 was part of the Desert Run a month or two ago (LA to Vegas), so pardon the side door cling. Also sorry for some of the pictures, I rotated and saved them to be vertical, but the IMG tool on CL rotated them back. The last exterior view shows a large wheel gap due to me having the car in 'Rapid Height' mode.

Old 02-17-18, 11:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
When I picked up the LS, this specific LS 500 was part of the Desert Run a month or two ago (LA to Vegas), so pardon the side door cling. Also sorry for some of the pictures, I rotated and saved them to be vertical, but the IMG tool on CL rotated them back. The last exterior view shows a large wheel gap due to me having the car in 'Rapid Height' mode.
Great pics.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 02-17-18 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Sorry Jill, just reducing the amount of scrolling by deleting the repeated pics
Old 02-17-18, 12:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I finally had the opportunity to sit and take a look at the new LS500. Sat in the F-sport edition. I must say I agree with Hoovey in so many ways. This new LS is for a whole new breed of LS buyer.

Eat your hearts out to all those who bashed it. This new LS is sexy as hell and is a very nice looking car. The front end spindle is IMO the best so far. I do not have an issue with the exterior in any way. Thought I would not like the rear portion, but I do.

I will admit this new LS is a significant departure form the older idea of what a LS should. We both agreed that this is not for the older crowd.

Inside, the design is fantastic. The floating armrest design is just fantastic. It feels find tight and cozy inside. Definitely not like past LS models. i didn’t sit in the rear.

There are a few things to critique. The materials are generally fantastic, if you really try to find issue you can. The seatbelt adjustment feels like it was out of my Corolla. Some of the leather trim on doors and center armrest seems on the lower end of quality. Not sure if it is Nuluxe There were also Lexus sticker on the door saying that your tires may not last 20K.

I was wrong about the pricing of the new LS when I first saw the design. However, I don’t feel like it is up to S class prices. It does not exactly feel like a $100K + sedan. It feels more at home at the price point it is at, this one was at $88K US.

Overall, this was a great effort by Lexus. It feels distinctly Japanese. Best way to describe it is that it looks very athletic, kinda like when you see your favourite sports start and see how fit the individual is.

I will add some pics as long as I am not stealing Hooveys thread.

Old 02-17-18, 02:23 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wonderful review, thanks for posting it.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion