Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-18, 08:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Or the RC, GS, GX, LX, CT, NXh, GSh, RXh, IS, or the LC

I give Buick more street cred than the others on here, almost everyone will tell you Buick is not a luxury brand. I think it is but I am not willing to say it is on the same level as a Lexus. Maybe an Acura. I would argue Lincoln is far closer to Lexus than Buick is.
Yes, the new Navigator is probably going to give Lexus some real headaches. But Buick is competing in areas that really count in sales...... given the large number of sales for the Buick Encore, for instance, it's probably taking a number of sales away from the Lexus NX. Lincoln could be more of a competitor to Lexus than it actually is if they would simply get some stand-alone dealerships. But the Navigator, I think, is going to be a hit either way, though I'll save final comments for my review.
Old 02-15-18, 08:18 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I honestly don’t put too much stock in these surveys. I would rather use word of mouth and my own experience as the most important determinant factor. A three year study seems pointless as all cars have a 3 year warranty.

I think resale, lack of discounts, average selling prices is a much more important factor IMO.
I agree with you.....HOWEVER warranty or not I don't want to take the vehicle in all the time with issues.
Old 02-15-18, 08:22 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stroock639
well i've encountered a brand new unsold C-HR where the electric parking brake (only option) broke and wouldn't turn off lol
Originally Posted by mmarshall
I examined a new C-HR not long ago, sitting on the lot, where the entire lower-dash plastic trim panel (which was almost paper-thin plastic to start with) had been misaligned and sprung during assembly. One end of it hung out into space, and partially covered the engine start/stop button. I tried to repair it myself, but couldn't...I didn't have my tool box with me.
just read -- The North American-spec C-HR is imported from Turkey. Is that correct????

Last edited by bagwell; 02-15-18 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-15-18, 08:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I agree with you.....HOWEVER warranty or not I don't want to take the vehicle in all the time with issues.
What if they offered you $10K in rebate or a hefty 20-25% off discount off MSRP?
Old 02-15-18, 08:27 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

What if they offered you $10K in rebate or a hefty 20-25% off discount off MSRP?
they'd have to throw in free pickup and delivery and free loaners, LOL!
Old 02-15-18, 08:28 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

just read -- The North American-spec C-HR is imported from Turkey. Is that correct????
yep, assembled in the TMMT plant in Sakarya, Turkey

also getting back to toyota in general, entune 3.0 has been quite a flop as well
Old 02-15-18, 08:55 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But Buick is competing in areas that really count in sales...... given the large number of sales for the Buick Encore, for instance, it's probably taking a number of sales away from the Lexus NX.
I'm sorry, but I don't believe there is any significant cross-shop happening between the Buick Encore and the Lexus NX. Non-Lux Brand vs Lux Brand, Way Different Price Points, substantially different size classes. Yes the Encore is selling well for Buick, but it's also the lowest priced Buick.
Old 02-15-18, 10:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
I'm sorry, but I don't believe there is any significant cross-shop happening between the Buick Encore and the Lexus NX. Non-Lux Brand vs Lux Brand, Way Different Price Points, substantially different size classes. Yes the Encore is selling well for Buick, but it's also the lowest priced Buick.
No need to be sorry. I would like to hear the evidence that the two are ever indeed cross shopped. Encore starts at $23K while the NX is at $36K. I think a loaded Encore does not exceed the MSRP of a fully loaded RAV4.
Old 02-15-18, 11:39 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,689 Likes on 2,276 Posts

Why does every thread turn into a Buick discussion.
Old 02-15-18, 11:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Why does every thread turn into a Buick discussion.
I think I might know
Old 02-15-18, 11:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639

also getting back to toyota in general, entune 3.0 has been quite a flop as well
How has it been a flop?
Old 02-15-18, 01:09 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

As for the Buick thing, I'm agnostic. Folks form their opinions based on their own personal experiences, and that's fine.

Back on topic, I always assumed for many years the old maxim that Japanese car companies had the best engineering, and that the worst Japanese car company was still better than the best American car company. I guess that's no longer the case, and now we have Korean companies coming on strong also.

These are exciting times. I never would have thought decades ago that the lowly ICE could be tweaked such that emissions are a tiny fraction of what was commonplace 40 years ago and that fuel economy is easily twice as good as back then. And the vehicles themselves are an order of magnitude safer and more reliable. Remarkable.
Old 02-15-18, 01:20 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I think I might know
you're wrong tho, look it up - MM did NOT mention Buick first (or second)

Last edited by bagwell; 02-15-18 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-15-18, 02:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, if I remember correctly, the sticker on the one I looked at showed a Turkish final-assembly-plant.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-15-18 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-15-18, 02:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by riredale
Back on topic, I always assumed for many years the old maxim that Japanese car companies had the best engineering, and that the worst Japanese car company was still better than the best American car company. I guess that's no longer the case, and now we have Korean companies coming on strong also.
You're correct..........the biggest gainers have been the Koreans. Kia and Hyundai both went from making some of the worst vehicles in the industry in the 1990s to some of the best in the 2000s and later. And today, of course, we have Genesis.

Quick Reply: 2018 J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS)