Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Reading about auto technicians

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-18, 10:58 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Let me get this straight. Dealer mechanics have to buy their own tools? What the hell! What job requires the employee to buy all the stuff needed to do work? Do policemen have to buy their own patrol cars? Do chefs pay for their own food when cooking for a restaurant? Do retail employees pay for their own cash registers? Do car wash employees pay for the water used to wash cars? Something is totally wrong here...
You see MAC tool truck visiting shops? You think employer is buying the tools for employees? Carpenter is same. Ever saw an ad. looking for such and such employee saying , must have own tools. As a field support engineer backing up field techs. I was provided with basic tool box worth thousands of dollars or instrument costing tens of thousand of dollars. I was in large scale IT tech world in my working days.
Old 02-15-18, 11:09 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stroock639
a friend of mine has worked as a tech for toyota and now for cadillac/gmc/buick, what i've learned is it's better to be a tech for the company that makes crappier cars! he's always telling me how many more big repairs need to be done to the GM cars than the toyotas. it also greatly depends on the specific dealership / stealership you work for.
Shotgunning method of repair, you mean..., LOL! Good techs are selectively trained at the factory by engineers. They keep receiving additional supplemental training annually. This ones are later open their own shop successfully. We take out of warranty BMWs to such a shop run by German native tech. Cost less, better quality work than dealership. In Germany there are many tech schools producing good technicians
ready to go into main stream work force. Unviersities train elite enginners who go into R&D work or be an intern to experienced senior engineers to be like his/her mentor. Their education system is bit different.
Old 02-15-18, 11:21 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jadu
with the amount of electronics in cars nowadays, I am not surprised. A quality multimeter and OBDII reader can be over $1000 for only those 2 tools. Adding special shop tools will also ring up the price. you might as well be a full blown electrical engineer or having an engineering background to work on these newer cars nowadays. labor intensive, you have to mechanically inclined, and have a descent knowledge in electronics to know how use a multimeter or oscilloscope, not to mention good work ethics, willingness, listening and communication skills. having all those is hard to come by.

since it's tax returns, the cost of tools should be tax-dedutible as a non-reimbursed cost for work related expense. at least techs can recoup some of their money there
Musicians claim their instrument on tax return not mechanics? You see big dish on a roof of most dealership? Trained tech can connect the vehicle under repair to head office main system with vast data base.
Then follow the instructions on the display monitor. Tech Stream loaded Panasonic Toughbook can cost thousands and it needs annual, update thru subscription. Toughbook alone can costs couple $$$ depending on specs. Quality Fluke MM alone can costs over thousands, professional OBD II reader/scanner costs over 4 Grand which needs annual updates to keep up with newer model vehicle brand and models, etc.
Old 02-15-18, 11:28 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Musicians claim their instrument on tax return not mechanics? You see big dish on a roof of most dealership? Trained tech can connect the vehicle under repair to head office main system with vast data base.
Then follow the instructions on the display monitor. Tech Stream loaded Panasonic Toughbook can cost thousands and it needs annual, update thru subscription. Toughbook alone can costs couple $$$ depending on specs. Quality Fluke MM alone can costs over thousands, professional OBD II reader/scanner costs over 4 Grand which needs annual updates to keep up with newer model vehicle brand and models, etc.
Do techs have to pay for scan tools and all the electronic updates as well?? What about shop manuals??? Those used to be paper phone books but are now all electronic on your laptop.
Old 02-16-18, 09:17 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
great insight. yearly subscriptions cost a fortune. our company pays a lot of money for a microsoft subscription for Office 365 online for word, outlook, sharepoint etc. Tech Stream costs a whole lot of money, and is another business expense for an independent garage. not cheap. i can see why older garages have closed down and complicated work must be done at the dealers.
Old 02-16-18, 09:47 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
You cannot compare a mechanic buying tools to a policeman buying patrol cars.

Tools to a mechanic are very personal items and I can see them being partial to a particular brand over another; so it would be similar if policemen had to buy their own boots, or if chefs bought their own knives. In the IT consulting world, contractors are expected to provide their own computers.
you're comparing a computer and knives to tools for mechanic? Must have tool for a mechanic will easily cost over 10,000.
Old 02-17-18, 09:37 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

And like I have said there is no reason that tools cost what they do. The actual manufacturing costs is a fraction of the retail. I'd guess a $50.00 snap on socket costs
$4. to make with materials and machinery time as well as heat treat to finished product, and it maybe way less than that to make.