Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Kia K900

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-18, 03:33 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I just simply brought it up because there is no Buick RWD available unlike the 80s and 90s yet KIA for some bewildering reason thinks they can sell a fully size RWD vehicle with a V8. Neither, Buick, Honda, Toyota, or Chevrolet can be do it under their brand names.

People not buying the K900 has nothing to do with not wanting to believe KIA is good, it is because its wrong brand name to be selling a car like this.

Would the Chinese RWD Park Avenue sell or flop in the US market if it were imported? My guess it would go the fate of the K900, there is just no market for it.
It's more than just this particular thread. It's MANY threads and replies.
Old 03-14-18, 03:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Back to the K900. I know the 2019 version is not available yet, but has anyone here on the thread actually driven one of the present or past versions? I did a full-review a couple of years ago.
Old 03-14-18, 03:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You probably don't have to deal wth the anti-Kia sentiment that I have to. I spend a lot of time explaining to people, not just here on CL, but in a number of places, why Kia is making credible vehicles today. Those who actually decide to go and look are usually but not always) impressed. Many people are still living in the past...
Then KIA is probably not doing a good enough job.

.they feel the first place they should go to when they need a new vehicle is the Toyota or Honda shop, simply because that's what they have been doing for the last 30 or 40 years LOL.
But see, you can't go to a Honda or Toyota shop and buy a sedan that starts at $49,999USD. You can't do that at Chevy, nor Buick, yet KIA thinks they can sell something with RWD and full size. Most of the cars that KIA (stinger excluded) sells are lower in price than Toyota, a bit higher than Hyundai yet the KIA starts at $15K more than Toyota's largest sedan.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-14-18 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-14-18, 03:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Then KIA is probably not doing a good enough job.
Well, agreed..I'm just one person, and I'm not paid to be their marketing chief LOL. But my point is that people should look at a vehicle before they say it shouldn't be sold here. For example, I thought the Nissan Juke looked ridiculous when it first debuted, but I took the time to go see it and drive it....even wrote a review.
Old 03-14-18, 03:50 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The K900/K9 (just like the K3 for eg.) are first and foremost sold in the RoK for customers there. The US market is a supplemental market for this particular sedan. Speculation about whether it's some sort of Lexus-like entry into the US is great for nostalgia and business case discussions, but really this sedan is for South Korean executives first as they get chauffered around Seoul etc.

Traditional luxury for South Korea's business class has generally been loyal to the Germans, so it's possible that Kia's simply addressing something in their home market by trying to find a niche there. Catching some extra sales in NA is a bonus.
Old 03-14-18, 03:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Well, agreed..I'm just one person, and I'm not paid to be their marketing chief LOL. But my point is that people should look at a vehicle before they say it shouldn't be sold here. For example, I thought the Nissan Juke looked ridiculous when it first debuted, but I took the time to go see it and drive it....even wrote a review.
Awesome! I am glad you can see my point of view. I saw the KIA900 at the auto show last year, I don't think it was at this years show. Its a nice car, no doubt about it. It has 400+ horsepower and it has a long warranty. However, it begs the question, what is the point? I assume before the Genesis brand was brought to the market, it perhaps might of made some sense? Could Toyota support a Toyota version of the new LS500 under the Toyota brand while keeping the Lexus LS500 under the Lexus brand? This is what Hyundai is doing by having the KIA K900 and the Genesis G90.

This is just the way I view it. I will admit, the Stinger looks to be off to a very good start.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-14-18 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-14-18, 11:36 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You probably don't have to deal wth the anti-Kia sentiment that I have to. I spend a lot of time explaining to people, not just here on CL, but in a number of places, why Kia is making credible vehicles today. Those who actually decide to go and look are usually but not always) impressed. Many people are still living in the past...they feel the first place they should go to when they need a new vehicle is the Toyota or Honda shop, simply because that's what they have been doing for the last 30 or 40 years LOL.

Everyone and their mother is making "credible" vehicles these days, the challenge is making something that is more than just credible, and doing it consistently.

Kias are not more than credible. There is nothing special about them.
Old 03-15-18, 05:46 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Everyone and their mother is making "credible" vehicles these days, the challenge is making something that is more than just credible, and doing it consistently.

Well, I think the Stinger is a step in that direction. It did get me to go to a Kia dealer for the first time.
Old 03-15-18, 06:24 AM
Superman60
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I thnk the name has a lot to do with it, Kia, Hyundai just doesn't carry the clout that the names Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus do. Regardless what other name it's called it's still a Hyundai-Kia.
Old 03-15-18, 06:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Superman60
I thnk the name has a lot to do with it, Kia, Hyundai just doesn't carry the clout that the names Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus do. Regardless what other name it's called it's still a Hyundai-Kia.
I don’t think anyone would suggest that the Kia/Hyundai name carries the same meaning as the Mercedes, BMW or Lexus. That would be for Genesis, and would say the Genesis brand carries the same clout?
Old 03-15-18, 07:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Ah, but can they make "credible" at Kia pricing?

Compare them to other vehicles in their class, and IMO they seem to have more solid-feeling materials, precise-assembly, and a feeling of quality to their construction. And my opinion is not alone. You, of course, are free to disagree...that's why we have Car Chat. And how many other automakers in the American market, aside from Mitsubishi, have the confidence to offer 10/100 and 5/60 warranties? A confident automaker will put its money where its mouth is.

I'm not saying they're faultless by any means...but there is definitely value for the money.
Old 03-15-18, 07:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I'm not saying they're faultless by any means...but there is definitely value for the money.
agreed but then we go back to the usual 'value' vs. 'image/prestige' debate and i know you and i couldn't care less about the latter, but to many it means a lot (if not everything).
Old 03-15-18, 08:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Ah, but can they make "credible" at Kia pricing?

Compare them to other vehicles in their class, and IMO they seem to have more solid-feeling materials, precise-assembly, and a feeling of quality to their construction. And my opinion is not alone. You, of course, are free to disagree...that's why we have Car Chat. And how many other automakers in the American market, aside from Mitsubishi, have the confidence to offer 10/100 and 5/60 warranties? A confident automaker will put its money where its mouth is.

Screaming 10 years or 100K does not show confidence to the majority of buyers. Like I have said, KIA sales are down but yet they have so called better value, better pricing, better warranties, and so called better construction and materials in your opinion. This to me means they are not selling their brand as good as you seem to suggest. I think the person you were responding to made a good point, they need to be better in every class than a Toyota or Honda, otherwise why switch brands? KIA resale values do not reflect what the more desirable brands achieve.
Old 03-15-18, 10:23 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2019 Kia K900: Here's the redesigned interior in sketch form

Source
Old 03-15-18, 10:28 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Another Audi inspired Kia dash...

Quick Reply: 2019 Kia K900