Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Kia K900

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-18, 02:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by XBROKER
K900? Poor choice of a name.
maybe it can be made to run on water though...
Old 03-10-18, 05:00 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They definitely should think about a name change, because K900 makes me think of a Cold War era submarine sitting under the Arctic Ocean or in the Baltic Sea getting ready for a nuclear mission, lol. The "tiger" grill is actually gone on this concept drawing but it does seem to have a very nice texture to the grill elements. This is the way to do restrained elegance on a car in this category.
Old 03-10-18, 06:46 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
They definitely should think about a name change, because K900 makes me think of a Cold War era submarine sitting under the Arctic Ocean or in the Baltic Sea getting ready for a nuclear mission, lol. The "tiger" grill is actually gone on this concept drawing but it does seem to have a very nice texture to the grill elements. This is the way to do restrained elegance on a car in this category.
It is already using a different name from the home-market version, which is called the K9 ("canine").

But, I agree. A bit more imagination from the Marketing department would help.
Old 03-10-18, 07:00 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sulu
It is already using a different name from the home-market version, which is called the K9 ("canine").

But, I agree. A bit more imagination from the Marketing department would help.
IHMO they should give it a proper name for at least NA. Even K9, is not a good moniker. A little too close to the "Widow Maker" Soviet nuclear boat K19, which had a lot of mishaps.
Old 03-10-18, 07:12 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
IHMO they should give it a proper name for at least NA. Even K9, is not a good moniker. A little too close to the "Widow Maker" Soviet nuclear boat K19, which had a lot of mishaps.
You did not get the reference, did you. "K9" is what police forces slap on the sides of their dog units.

K9 = dog

Forget the Soviet-era submarine. You want to name a car "Dog"?
Old 03-10-18, 07:30 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

You did not get the reference, did you. "K9" is what police forces slap on the sides of their dog units.

K9 = dog

EVERYBODY, and their uncle's dog walker knows what K9 stands for by this time in our pop culture Sulu. That's why I spoke about other connotations. Patronizing to CL posters much?
Old 03-10-18, 08:12 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

K9 = dog

K9 was the original name for this car, then the comparisons to police dogs forced them to change it to K900.

Shows how much care they put in.
Old 03-10-18, 08:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
K9 was the original name for this car, then the comparisons to police dogs forced them to change it to K900.

Shows how much care they put in.
IMO, who cares if it sounds like a police dog? Long ago, I learned that one must judge a car by what's under the skin, not the skin or the name....though, I'll admit, the skin on something like a Nissan Juke, for example, can leave a lot to be desired.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-11-18 at 03:17 AM.
Old 03-10-18, 09:02 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

I would be more worried about if Mr. Sulu wanted to invoke an old trope about the rural Korean peoples perhaps cooking and eating a certain animal. If you haven't been to the land, then you will take this on face value. Because nobody names their sedan with a connotation related to a dog in the country of manufacture. Well played Sulu.
Old 03-10-18, 10:56 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Who cares if it sounds like a police dog? Long ago, I learned that one must judge a car by what's under the skin, not the skin or the name....though, I'll admit, the skin on something like a Nissan Juke, for example, can leave a lot to be desired.
Under the skin it's a soulless copycat car that depreciates rapidly and would look most at home in a car insurance commercial. The poorly thought through generic alphanumeric name is fitting.
Old 03-11-18, 03:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Under the skin it's a soulless copycat car that depreciates rapidly and would look most at home in a car insurance commercial. The poorly thought through generic alphanumeric name is fitting.
OK.....I'll buy the soul-less description if you want to compare it to a Porsche 911.
Old 03-11-18, 06:59 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
IMO, who cares if it sounds like a police dog? Long ago, I learned that one must judge a car by what's under the skin, not the skin or the name....though, I'll admit, the skin on something like a Nissan Juke, for example, can leave a lot to be desired.
On the contrary, naming is one critical component of a vehicle.
Old 03-11-18, 07:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I agree. Naming is critical and very important. Essential. K9 or K900 both are not very good. KIA Kahuna or KIA Kangaroo maybe . My opinion is that they should of called it the KIA KMA (Kiss My ***) KIA 900 might work without the K in front of it. Or maybe KIA 9000. But I think there was a Pontiac 9000 once in while ago. Whatever though, I still think this KIA is DOA

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-11-18 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-11-18, 08:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

it's funny the same brand has 'stinger' and 'k900'

and since they only sold a few hundred k900s (u.s.) they could certainly change the name.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 03-11-18 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-11-18, 09:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, as I see it, if people let themselves form their opinions by a vehicle name, that's not a very thorough basis, and is quite narrow. And the opposite is also sometimes true. Take the Pontiac Aztec, for instance...a vehicle that most people (maybe not all) would agree is butt-ugly. Even its not-so-unusual name could save it.

Quick Reply: 2019 Kia K900