Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Runaway BMW X5? Really?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-18, 04:50 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts
Default Runaway BMW X5? Really?

On the national news tonight there was a story about a BMW X5 that was speeding out of control on I-95 in Florida because the guy driving it said his gas pedal was stuck. He called 911 on his cell phone. The operator told him to put the car in neutral. His response, “Ma’am, I’m in a BMW and if I slam that over, it’s going to drop down a gear and I really don’t want that to happen,” he told her. “It could spin me out.” Really? Neutral is out of gear.

She then suggested he use the emergency brake. His response, “Yeah, but I’m not pulling that at no 100 miles an hour, ma’am,” he said. “I’m sorry.” Really? Yes, better to go 100mph than try to slow the car. Why the 911 operator didn't tell him to simply shut the ignition off I don't know. It was reported that 3 times the police laid down spike strips but he "avoided" them. Eventually they did catch him with the spike strips and the car was stopped. Additionally, BMW states that if the brake pedal is applied simultaneously with the accelerator, engine power is reduced so that the car can be stopped.

This does not pass the smell test.
Old 02-13-18, 04:54 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
On the national news tonight there was a story about a BMW X5 that was speeding out of control on I-95 in Florida because the guy driving it said his gas pedal was stuck. He called 911 on his cell phone. The operator told him to put the car in neutral. His response, “Ma’am, I’m in a BMW and if I slam that over, it’s going to drop down a gear and I really don’t want that to happen,” he told her. “It could spin me out.” Really? Neutral is out of gear.

She then suggested he use the emergency brake. His response, “Yeah, but I’m not pulling that at no 100 miles an hour, ma’am,” he said. “I’m sorry.” Really? Yes, better to go 100mph than try to slow the car. Why the 911 operator didn't tell him to simply shut the ignition off I don't know. It was reported that 3 times the police laid down spike strips but he "avoided" them. Eventually they did catch him with the spike strips and the car was stopped. Additionally, BMW states that if the brake pedal is applied simultaneously with the accelerator, engine power is reduced so that the car can be stopped.

This does not pass the smell test.
When does "unintended acceleration" ever pass the smell test?
Old 02-13-18, 04:57 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Good one!
Old 02-13-18, 05:34 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yep sounds like another idiot driver to me and BMW is claiming the same thing....

A runaway BMW SUV tore down a Florida interstate for nearly 40 miles Monday, but the motorist managed to keep his cool while authorities made several attempts to stop him, telling a 911 dispatcher calmly "my gas pedal is stuck," according to the Florida Highway Patrol and dramatic recordings.

In a statement a BMW spokesperson called the scenario "implausible" and said there were numerous ways in which the driver could have stopped the car. "We would be happy to work with the Florida State Police to investigate the cause of this incident," the company added.

The driver, Joseph Cooper, was alone in his SUV on I-95 near Vero Beach just before 1 p.m. when he lost control, he told emergency dispatchers. Authorities helped control traffic as he careened as fast as 95 mph with a flashers and a green strobe on.

Asked if he could shift to neutral, he told the dispatcher, "I can't, ma'am, I tried that already. I'm trying to hold onto the wheel and talk to you at the same time."

He told the dispatcher he almost hit someone.

"Get out of the way!" he yelled, according to the recording.

When authorities tried to slow down the car using spiked stop sticks, Cooper avoided them, the highway patrol reported. The officials tossed out stop sticks again, blowing out the right two tires, which slowed the car down to about 60 mph, the highway patrol said.

Dashcam video released by the Fellsmere Police Department shows an officer deploying spike strips on the interstate in their third and final deployment of strips to try to stop the car. The BMW is seen going over the spike strips which hit the left two tires.

That slowed the car to 40 mph, but Cooper was still unable to stop. "The vehicle was traveling on all 4 rims with no tire," the highway patrol said.

Minutes later, the video shows the SUV coming to a complete stop, and as smoke surrounds the vehicle, the driver got out to talk to authorities

At that point Cooper had traveled more than 40 miles. Miraculously, no one was injured, Lt. Alvaro Feola of the Florida Highway Patrol told ABC News.

Feola said Cooper made the right choices in the dangerous situation.

"He did call 911, he wore a seat belt, he kept the dispatch aware of the mile markers," Feola said.

"Thank God in this situation nobody got hurt," Feola added. "Traffic was maybe a little light, it wasn't rush hour."

The BMW spokesperson said in the statement that "BMW drivers have long been able to rely on integrated safety systems that help ensure safe operation of every BMW vehicle.

"All BMW vehicles, including the 2003 X5 described in this incident, employ an electronic accelerator pedal which uses software logic to override the accelerator whenever the brake pedal is pressed while driving. This fail-safe software means that if the vehicle detects that both pedals are depressed, the on-board electronics will reduce engine power so that the driver may stop safely.

"Furthermore, the accelerator pedal in BMW vehicles is hinged at the bottom, and mounts to the floor. Therefore an object or floor mat cannot slide under the accelerator pedal and jam it. Original BMW floor mats are custom-fitted for each vehicle, and are installed with anchors to keep them properly located in the front footwells of each vehicle.

"The vehicle could also have been stopped by two additional means: By placing the transmission in neutral and coasting to a stop and/or by shutting off the ignition without removing the key. This is accomplished by turning the key counterclockwise. The engine would have shut off and the driver could have safely coasted the vehicle to a stop."

ABC News' Daniel Steinberger contributed to this report.
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/gas-pedal-...opstories.html
Old 02-14-18, 07:53 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

clearly a BS story, sounds like an expensive way to avoid a speeding ticket
Old 02-14-18, 08:06 AM
amphiprion
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Speaking from personal experience, Florida has the fastest and most aggressive drivers. California's I-5, 405, and the 10 have nothing on FL's I-95 drivers.... (probably cause we're stuck in traffic)

I'd like to hear the recording of the driver supposedly putting car before life and not wanting to shift it into neutral which would have just coasted the car to a stop. I have to agree that this person probably just decided they needed an excuse for x, y or z.
Old 02-14-18, 08:44 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by amphiprion
I'd like to hear the recording of the driver supposedly putting car before life and not wanting to shift it into neutral which would have just coasted the car to a stop. I have to agree that this person probably just decided they needed an excuse for x, y or z.
here's the full audio...
https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/lo...ver/329924002/

per the audio...
doesn't want to put in neutral
doesn't want to use brakes
doesn't want to use emergency brake

Last edited by bagwell; 02-14-18 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-14-18, 08:53 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
When does "unintended acceleration" ever pass the smell test?

So how did this guy finally stop?
Old 02-14-18, 09:15 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I'll never forget those famous words, "Um, you said, um, we did it for the show."

There have been many imitators, but I will always consider the Ballon Boy Hoax to be the pioneer.

I think the psap operators do need better training, however, it's like they're reading a script from 1955.
Old 02-14-18, 10:41 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek

So how did this guy finally stop?
Read post #4.
Old 02-14-18, 10:47 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

So cops use blowout spikes, to stop vehicles that have runflat tires? I've always thought the rule is 50/50--50 mph for 50 miles. So the blow they tires out, then drive 50 miles up the road and wait? We're as a society smarter than this I believe, I have to. If he stopped minutes later, and didn't go 50 miles, then it would not seem to be the blown out tires that allowed him to stop. Just doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old 02-14-18, 10:58 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
So cops use blowout spikes, to stop vehicles that have runflat tires? I've always thought the rule is 50/50--50 mph for 50 miles. So the blow they tires out, then drive 50 miles up the road and wait? We're as a society smarter than this I believe, I have to. If he stopped minutes later, and didn't go 50 miles, then it would not seem to be the blown out tires that allowed him to stop. Just doesn't make a lot of sense.
um, maybe the X5 in this case didn't have runflats?
Old 02-14-18, 11:02 AM
ipstat
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At least no one was hurt. That is good!
Old 02-14-18, 11:03 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
um, maybe the X5 in this case didn't have runflats?
Agree, the details say it is a 2003 BMW X5, that was before BMW moved into their love affair with runflats. Let alone the number of customers that continue to purchase and use runflats after the OEMs wear out. It was also before the days of the joystick gear selector.
Old 02-14-18, 11:16 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Road spikes tear up the tires, even run flats.

Even if he would have had them, the run flats would not have survived.

Quick Reply: Runaway BMW X5? Really?