Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New GS spied? Or maybe ES

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-18, 06:51 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
It looking LS-ish would be intentional.
Yea I understand that. But I hope it doesnt start making people mistaking it for LSeses. I can't imagine LS owners will be happen when someone asks them hows the ES treating you. Conversely, Es owners will be quite happy though.
Old 02-12-18, 07:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4

absolutely nothing. It’s the appropriate time for the 7es test cars to be out testing.
hopefully it means it will be sold in europe.... GS pricing is not competitive with fleet 5/A6/E class that make up most of the sales.
Old 02-12-18, 11:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I can't imagine LS owners will be happy when someone asks them hows the ES treating you.
If LS owners let something trivial like that get to them, then they have worse problems than simply what kind of car they drive LOL.
Old 02-12-18, 02:47 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
hopefully it means it will be sold in europe.... GS pricing is not competitive with fleet 5/A6/E class that make up most of the sales.
spwolf, do you know how much import tariff the EEC imposes on Lexus and Hyundai/Genesis respectively?
Old 02-12-18, 03:13 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The CarScoops render was of a 7ES.

awesome rendering
Old 02-12-18, 03:59 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That ES render would put it too close to the outgoing Camry XSE no?

Old 02-12-18, 04:34 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They won't offer the ES in AWD, Lexus wants you in a RX. Why would you want a sedan when you can have the utility of a crossover and its larger interior space. They could do all that with the Avalon/Camry twins too, but why would they? You should head over to the Highlander for that and if you need a light urban commuter, the RAV.
Old 02-12-18, 05:28 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

The next ES will use the TNGA platform which supports AWD.
There's potential for Lexus to upmarket the ES with an AWD variant to take over the GS's role in the lineup.

Then again, what will compete with the A6, 5 Series and E class? I don't suppose Lexus will pull an Acura and try to cut it with FWD biased AWD...
Old 02-12-18, 05:36 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speedkar9
There's potential for Lexus to upmarket the ES with an AWD variant to take over the GS's role in the lineup.

Then again, what will compete with the A6, 5 Series and E class? I don't suppose Lexus will pull an Acura and try to cut it with FWD biased AWD...
The ES and GS surely overlap, but cutting the GS in favor of the ES to solve this problem is the worst possible option.

But it could be the GS becomes a Panamera/CLS/A7 competitor.

But if you have the RWD platform, why not just rebody two cars: a GS sedan and an A7 competitor.
Old 02-12-18, 05:38 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speedkar9

If they do that in Europe, it sure would be an interesting turn but US buyers have shown a preference for AWD crossovers and if the auto press ever gets a hold of a FWD transverse ES running around with awd trying to compete with a 5, E or even an A6 - that would be nasty. The previous versions of the RX were all on the Camry/Avalon chassis since a long time ago. Toyota does not like awd sedans in the US other than their attempts with IS, GS and LS. All niche vehicles vs just selling people RXs. You don't want to get too competitive with yourself.
Old 02-12-18, 08:24 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The ES and GS surely overlap, but cutting the GS in favor of the ES to solve this problem is the worst possible option.

But it could be the GS becomes a Panamera/CLS/A7 competitor.

But if you have the RWD platform, why not just rebody two cars: a GS sedan and an A7 competitor.
I suspect ES AWD is all about trying to be cheeky by cutting costs, yet still getting away with sales like RX & NX...
Old 02-12-18, 08:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Yea I understand that. But I hope it doesnt start making people mistaking it for LSeses. I can't imagine LS owners will be happen when someone asks them hows the ES treating you. Conversely, Es owners will be quite happy though.
We don’t care. People mistake them now.

Originally Posted by MattyG
They won't offer the ES in AWD, Lexus wants you in a RX. Why would you want a sedan when you can have the utility of a crossover and its larger interior space. They could do all that with the Avalon/Camry twins too, but why would they? You should head over to the Highlander for that and if you need a light urban commuter, the RAV.
Then why does Lexus make their RWD sedans available in AWD?

AWD ES is coming id bet.
Old 02-12-18, 09:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I suspect ES AWD is all about trying to be cheeky by cutting costs, yet still getting away with sales like RX & NX...

One of the main reasons why SUVs are so popular today (though not the only reason, by any means) is that manufacturers simply won't make enough AWD sedans and coupes. I've said, many times over.....you cannot sell what you do not produce.
Old 02-12-18, 10:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

spwolf, do you know how much import tariff the EEC imposes on Lexus and Hyundai/Genesis respectively?
i believe it was 10% when i looked last.
Old 02-13-18, 02:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

it is indeed 10%... not a big deal really, it is all about how they want to position it.

For instance 3/C/A4 fleet/bottom spec is priced at Avensis/Passat prices, not at IS prices. Same goes for A6/5/E most sold models - leather, nav, led, 2.0d with 180-200hp is priced at IS prices and not GS prices.

I dont see Genesis doing anything in Europe really. Too many different markets, Hyundai usually sells on big discounts and rock bottom prices here, their previous tries sold only few units in the UK. Also petrol engines are a no-no.

Quick Reply: New GS spied? Or maybe ES