Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New GS spied? Or maybe ES

Old 02-11-18, 06:24 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Then why all the discussion. I don't see any reason for the ES to be in Belgium. Is the current ES sold in Europe?
Just look at where the front wheels are positioned relative to the front door line.
Its clearly FWD.

The new gen hybrid might be sold in Europe or they can just be purely doing testing.
Old 02-11-18, 07:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Agreed, definitely the ES if it Is a Lexus model, its clearly FWD.

As for it looking smaller than the GS, remember the current ES is actually larger than the GS.
Old 02-11-18, 07:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

I don't see any reason for the ES to be in Belgium.
Maybe they want to see how well it drives in europe?

and belgium is lexus europe headquarters.
Old 02-11-18, 07:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

These cars are tested all over the world. Where they're tested and where they are sold aren't really related.
Old 02-11-18, 07:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Maybe they want to see how well it drives in europe?

and belgium is lexus europe headquarters.
Agreed. But generally speaking the ES is made for the USA, can’t see them separating ES and Avalon development. Perhaps a ES hybrid is coming to Europe.

I am also not buying the front proportion thing giving it away as a FWD. The new LS looks like it could be a FWD model from afar. New LS and Camry look like they have the same proportions.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-11-18 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-11-18, 07:53 AM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I still dont get why Lexus needs to sell ES and GS.
The sales people steer avg customer to the ES anyway bec its way cheaper and has more room inside.
I once ordered an Uber and the driver showed up in a Lexus ES model. I was stunned at the huge amount leg room in the back. Especially when compared to my GS. You may be right in terms of the average customer cross shopping the ES and GS models, which is why I think Lexus should make the GS into a 4dr coupe offering. GS owners choose the GS because of it’s sporty appeal, not rear leg room. Lexus should use the GS to take on the Audi A7 and Kia Stinger GT in terms of automotive design and beauty.
Old 02-11-18, 08:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My issue with the ES is that after 2013 it wasn't really nice enough inside to compete with the GS' league. Before that I felt in terms of product quality it felt like a more expensive car than it was (especially my 2003 4ES), but the 13 model changed all that and it really felt cheap inside. The 16 refresh helped but not completely.

I'd like to see the ES move upmarket with better materials inside, AWD optional and then yeah I have no issue with the GS becoming a 4 door coupe like car.
Old 02-11-18, 08:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
My issue with the ES is that after 2013 it wasn't really nice enough inside to compete with the GS' league. Before that I felt in terms of product quality it felt like a more expensive car than it was (especially my 2003 4ES), but the 13 model changed all that and it really felt cheap inside. The 16 refresh helped but not completely.

I'd like to see the ES move upmarket with better materials inside, AWD optional and then yeah I have no issue with the GS becoming a 4 door coupe like car.
I think the ES will increase the price on the top end of the pricing while keeping their base price intact. I also think an AWD will be offered this time around maybe not in the first year but perhaps in the second. The GS should be somewhat nicer inside compared to the ES. But the current ES was much nicer than the previous models in options, materials and interior design.
Old 02-11-18, 08:18 AM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I still dont get why Lexus needs to sell ES and GS.
The sales people steer avg customer to the ES anyway bec its way cheaper and has more room inside.

This new ES will look very sporty and will follow in Camry's footsteps by offering more dynamic handling.

I wish Lexus can take the LC styling language, make a 4 door coupe and call it a GS to compete with new 8Series GC, Audi A7, and MB CLS.
If i was in the market for a new car, i would never consider ES out of the two. I've driven both of the vehicles and IMO the ES doesn't even come close in terms of driving and the overall 'feel' of the vehicle. I'm not gonna compare the styling of the two, because i'll be honest, neither looks great to me. And i know those are just pictures of a camouflaged, but it already does look anything but very sporty.
Old 02-11-18, 08:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think the ES will increase the price on the top end of the pricing while keeping their base price intact. I also think an AWD will be offered this time around maybe not in the first year but perhaps in the second. The GS should be somewhat nicer inside compared to the ES. But the current ES was much nicer than the previous models in options, materials and interior design.
Yeah I think a fully loaded ES AWD can touch $60k and there would still be a market.

As for the current model, I don't agree at all. Much more use of hard plastics in the current car, much less wood. Lower door panels were always padded material in the ES before, starting in 13 they were hard plastic, leather is a big downgrade unless its the semi-aniline leather. The leather in my 2003 ES was nicer than the base leather in my 2015 LS, no joke. Wood on the console and all in the 4 and 5 ES, not in the 13-15 ES, its shiny cheap black plastic and hard interior colored plastic, hard plastic edges on the sides with no padding. Thin door panels. Design I like better than my 2010 ES but not my 2003 ES.

I was really, really disappointed in the interior of the 13 ES when I went to trade my 10 ES on one, and the 10 was already not as nice inside as the 03. Thats the only reason really I upgraded to the GS, the much nicer interior.

The 16 refresh helped, but still has many of the pain points. Had the 16 ES been what came out in 13 I would probably have stayed with the ES vs upgrading to the GS.
Old 02-11-18, 08:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yeah I think a fully loaded ES AWD can touch $60k and there would still be a market.

As for the current model, I don't agree at all. Much more use of hard plastics in the current car, much less wood. Lower door panels were always padded material in the ES before, starting in 13 they were hard plastic, leather is a big downgrade unless its the semi-aniline leather. The leather in my 2003 ES was nicer than the base leather in my 2015 LS, no joke. Wood on the console and all in the 4 and 5 ES, not in the 13-15 ES, its shiny cheap black plastic and hard interior colored plastic, hard plastic edges on the sides with no padding. Thin door panels. Design I like better than my 2010 ES but not my 2003 ES.

I was really, really disappointed in the interior of the 13 ES when I went to trade my 10 ES on one, and the 10 was already not as nice inside as the 03. Thats the only reason really I upgraded to the GS, the much nicer interior.

The 16 refresh helped, but still has many of the pain points. Had the 16 ES been what came out in 13 I would probably have stayed with the ES vs upgrading to the GS.
Some fair comments. I have never liked the 07-12 ES. I do like the new ES, but’s it’s the design more than anything.

I will be honest, my parents do not really like their ES350 all that much. Materials is not really the issue. Just the overall feeling and impression they have after 3 year of current ownership. I think it will be gone for sure next year.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-11-18 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-11-18, 08:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Some fair comments. I have never liked the 07-12 ES. I do like the new ES, but’s it’s the design more than anything.

I will be honest, my parents do not really like their ES350 all that much. Materials is not really the issue. Just the overall feeling and impression they have after 3 year of current ownership. I think it will be gone for sure next year.
I didn't love the 07-12 ES either, I liked the 10-12 refresh a lot more than the 07-09 car, that car was so stark inside, the extra wood and brightwork helped inside and out in 2010 IMHO. I got it because my 03 ES had 160k miles on it, and I had gotten to a point where I needed the tax shelter of a car lease again. It drove nice, and was better looking than my 03 (which is a pretty ugly car lol) but inside was nowhere near as nice as the 03. That 03 is a beast, my aunt bought it and still has it, has 197,000 miles on it now. I had replaced the control arms at about 150k miles, and did the timing belt which was big at 90k. All she has done to it is replacing brakes and tires, and she replaced an alternator. I drive it from time to time and I'm amazed by how well it rides and drives for how old it is. Leather still looks great, no cracks. Could use a good detail, but amazing.

The ES suffers from just being very basic and ordinary today, they really need to step it up a notch.
Old 02-11-18, 09:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

ES suffers from being ordinary and basic compared to what? The MKZ, Toyota’s own Avalon or the Buick LaCrosse?
Old 02-11-18, 09:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It should be a step above all of those vehicles IMHO. It always was in the past. These mainstream "near luxury" cars like the Avalon, Lacrosse, Cadenza etc have really stepped up their game to where they're the ES' peers, I'd like to see the ES deliver an experience closer to the Genesis G80 (albeit recognizing it will always be FWD), so that people feel like its a step above these non-luxury cars.
Old 02-11-18, 09:45 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

where did you find this info? Link?
no info, just pics

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New GS spied? Or maybe ES