Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New GS spied? Or maybe ES

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-18, 02:45 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The leather in my 2003 ES was nicer than the base leather in my 2015 LS, no joke.
Why did Lexus stray from this quality?! The leather in my 02 ES300 is like butter. It's thick and high quality. The leather in all the new Lexus models feels a bit thin and cheap. I've also noticed a lot of owners complaining about premature wear. I wish Lexus would bring back some of their old qualities in the new ES. I know it had the reputation as an "old fart" brand, but it sold and sold well. Please ditch the mouse control and bring back the touchscreen, or at least have both.
Old 02-14-18, 11:16 AM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by COOLIS
Why did Lexus stray from this quality?! The leather in my 02 ES300 is like butter. It's thick and high quality. The leather in all the new Lexus models feels a bit thin and cheap. I've also noticed a lot of owners complaining about premature wear. I wish Lexus would bring back some of their old qualities in the new ES. I know it had the reputation as an "old fart" brand, but it sold and sold well. Please ditch the mouse control and bring back the touchscreen, or at least have both.
I feel the same way about this.
Old 02-14-18, 11:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
Why did Lexus stray from this quality?! The leather in my 02 ES300 is like butter. It's thick and high quality. The leather in all the new Lexus models feels a bit thin and cheap. I've also noticed a lot of owners complaining about premature wear.
That's true of not only seat-leather, but a number of the materials Lexus uses inside their newer vehicles. The flip-side, though (and I have to give Lexus a lot of credit for this).....the NuLuxe leatherette material is just superb. To me, it looks and feels better than the real leather they are using nowadays......and I'm sure the cows would agree.

I wish Lexus would bring back some of their old qualities in the new ES. I know it had the reputation as an "old fart" brand, but it sold and sold well. Please ditch the mouse control and bring back the touchscreen, or at least have both.
You're beginning to sound like me LOL. That's what I've been preaching for a number of years now.