Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford Ranger Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
The Interior is truly a decade in the past. The exterior looks good for what it is, but maybe a bigger engine for USDM
Originally Posted by 97SC300
Interior would be fine if it was 2005. 2018+? No. Just no.
I don't think that very many people will be buying this truck for its interior. If it's a plush interior one wants, then one can walk down to the other end of the showroom and look at an F-150 King Ranch...but, also, of course, be prepared to ante up a lot more.
Old 02-08-18, 08:10 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't think that very many people will be buying this truck for its interior. If it's a plush interior one wants, then one can walk down to the other end of the showroom and look at an F-150 King Ranch...but, also, of course, be prepared to ante up a lot more.
You dont need to have a king ranch special inside the raptor, but with huge use of hard plastic blocks, a tribute to older gen fords, the interior doesnt need to be f150 just maybe better then say an Ecosport?
Old 02-08-18, 08:14 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

No they won't. no one is cross shopping the F150 and the MUCH smaller Ranger.
There is no excuse to have that kinda crappy interior in 2018. None.
Old 02-09-18, 05:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
No they won't. no one is cross shopping the F150 and the MUCH smaller Ranger.
There is no excuse to have that kinda crappy interior in 2018. None.
We'll have to wait and see what happens this time, but go back and look at history. They were indeed cross-shopping. That was exactly what forced the Ranger out of the American market several years ago.....cross-shoppers found out that, with the F-150, they could get a lot more truck for not a lot more money. Hopefully, regardless of the interior, the fact that today's Ranger is larger and more substantial than the last one will help, though it will still face stiff competition from the Colorado/Canyon and Tacoma.
Old 02-09-18, 07:13 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyhow, back to the Raptor. I'm not quite sure I understand the reasoning behind marking the top-center of the steering wheel with a red stripe. That position should be obvious from the wheel's spokes.
It's a carryover from racing. It's in many performance vehicles. This is to be seen as a desert racing vehicle, like the F-150 Raptor.
Old 02-09-18, 07:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
It's a carryover from racing. It's in many performance vehicles. This is to be seen as a desert racing vehicle, like the F-150 Raptor.
Fine, but what use is it, even in racing? Anyone with a decent set of eyes and even the most rudimentary sense of geometry can instantly see where the center of the wheel is, from the spokes. Perhaps a couple very few exceptions might be some of the single-spoke steering wheels that 80s-vintage Mitsubushis and 50s/60s Citroens used to have.

I'm not trying to be argumentative.....I just don't see why it's needed even in racing. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 02-09-18, 10:09 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Imagine if the steering gets out of alignment, it would drive me crazy driving straight and the red stripe is biased left or right hah!
Old 02-09-18, 10:24 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Fine, but what use is it, even in racing? Anyone with a decent set of eyes and even the most rudimentary sense of geometry can instantly see where the center of the wheel is, from the spokes. Perhaps a couple very few exceptions might be some of the single-spoke steering wheels that 80s-vintage Mitsubushis and 50s/60s Citroens used to have.

I'm not trying to be argumentative.....I just don't see why it's needed even in racing. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

In rally or desert racing, you may be quickly and constantly sawing back and forth on the wheel, and losing track of where the front wheels are pointed (especially if your front wheels are off the ground). A easily-visible mark at the top dead centre of the steering wheel will quickly give the driver an indication of where straight ahead is.
Old 02-09-18, 11:05 AM
SB350
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The interior of the Ranger Raptor is about on par with it's competitors - Tacoma TRD Pro and Colorado ZR2,
I kinda wish they called it something else and leave the 'Raptor' nameplate for the F150.
Old 02-09-18, 12:23 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

The US execs are talking about it: http://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-...u-s-exec-says/

it looks good. much more aggressive than than a regular ranger. i wonder if the US market will get the 3.5L ecoboost and if the F150 raptor will get back its v8?
Old 02-09-18, 12:26 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by jadu
The US execs are talking about it: http://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-...u-s-exec-says/

it looks good. much more aggressive than than a regular ranger. i wonder if the US market will get the 3.5L ecoboost and if the F150 raptor will get back its v8?
I wouldn't count on it. If the base Ranger is supposed to get the Mustang 2.3L EcoBoost, I'd wager the Raptor gets a 2.7L EcoBoost V6.
Old 02-09-18, 12:30 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I wouldn't count on it. If the base Ranger is supposed to get the Mustang 2.3L EcoBoost, I'd wager the Raptor gets a 2.7L EcoBoost V6.

ahh.. didnt know about the 2.7L ecoboost. too much wishful thinking on my part. I'm sure there were many people that wanted a V8 in an F150 raptor much like we wanted a V8 in the LS
Old 02-09-18, 01:09 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by jadu
ahh.. didnt know about the 2.7L ecoboost. too much wishful thinking on my part. I'm sure there were many people that wanted a V8 in an F150 raptor much like we wanted a V8 in the LS
Yup, the 2.7L EcoBoost is available on a variety of Fords and Lincolns now. F-150, MKX, Continental, Edge Sport, Edge Sport ST ('19), and Fusion Sport.
Old 02-09-18, 08:04 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

So just what do you mean by that term? American-badged vehicles have a lot of different interiors..it's difficult to lump them altogether. And, of course, with today's truly global auto industry, the terms "American", European", "Japanese" and "Korean" generally mean little. That's why, by law, you have parts-content stickers on new cars, with countries-of-origin for major components such as engine and transmission.

Anyhow, as far as I'm concerned, here is a so-called "American" interior that is difficult to fault....the Lincoln Continental. The new Navigator's is also very impressive.
Well, when I compare class to class with the American brands, the Japanese & European competitors always have a better interior. I compare 2016 Rx350, 2016 MKT, 2016 SRX, & X5 before I picked the XC90.
However, I do agree the new Lincolns has sharp interior
Old 02-10-18, 07:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
You dont need to have a king ranch special inside the raptor, but with huge use of hard plastic blocks, a tribute to older gen fords, the interior doesnt need to be f150 just maybe better then say an Ecosport?
Agreed. This EcoSport interior is better than the Ranger interior.

Originally Posted by grabber2
Well, when I compare class to class with the American brands, the Japanese & European competitors always have a better interior. I compare 2016 Rx350, 2016 MKT, 2016 SRX, & X5 before I picked the XC90.
However, I do agree the new Lincolns has sharp interior
I don't know if I agree better. I think better perceived. I don't particularly like American interiors, but combined there are a lot of American brand cars sold every year so they must be doing things right or within their target segment,

Quick Reply: Ford Ranger Thread