Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Hyundai Santa Fe

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-18, 06:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Default 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe

looks promising...

Hyundai is giving the world a glimpse of the all-new Santa Fe ahead of its debut later this spring at the Geneva motor show, replacing a model that has been on sale since 2012.

The look of the 2019 Santa Fe borrows a few elements from the new Hyundai Kona that we saw at the 2017 Frankfurt motor show, featuring large split headlights and the hexagonal "cascading" grille that's been working its way into the lineup. Inside, the new Santa Fe features a wide infotainment screen located at the top of the center stack but keeps plenty of buttons down below for climate control functions and other systems. Cabin design features fewer sharp angles than the outgoing model, adopting more flowing lines for a more upscale appearance.

"The Santa Fe displays a modern and elegant appearance complemented by eye-catching twin headlights and the Cascading Grille, Hyundai’s SUV-family identity," Hyundai says. "The exterior design is characterized by a powerful wide stance and an athletic, bold look. It features refined lines that reinforce the car’s status at the top of Hyundai’s SUV lineup. The Santa Fe interior design combines premium quality with a horizontal and roomy layout and enhanced visibility."

When it comes to safety tech, the new Santa Fe will offer Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist, which warns the driver if another vehicle approaches from the side and can also apply the brakes automatically, as well as Safety Exit Assist, which temporarily locks the doors to prevent passengers from exiting when the system senses a car approaching from behind.

Hyundai is expected to keep the two-model Santa Fe and Santa Fe Sport tag team in the U.S., so the model shown in the photos above is destined for the European market, where this nameplate is positioned a little differently when it comes to the number of seats. But the larger offering is expected to keep the seven-seat capability of the standard Santa Fe model -- it's far more important in the marketplace than it was five years ago when the now-outgoing model entered production.

Hyundai is keeping a tight lid on other details ahead of the Santa Fe's Geneva show launch, but expect to see it on sale in the U.S. in the second half of the year as a 2019 model.

http://autoweek.com/article/geneva-m...-concept-style

Old 02-06-18, 06:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks for posting, bit.

Here's a side view that the article (apparantly) didn't have.

Old 02-06-18, 06:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Hopefully this new Santa Fe can help turn around things for Hyundai. Three years of declining sales is never good. The cross over segment has never been more competitive. My brother has a Sante Fe.
Old 02-06-18, 07:12 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for posting, bit.

Here's a side view that the article (apparantly) didn't have.

Hyundai released images of a European-market Santa Fe, which is closer in dimensions to the model sold as the Santa Fe Sport in the U.S., ahead of its launch at the 2018 Geneva motor show.
If this is more the size of the Santa Fe Sport, I'm interested to see pix of the new regular Santa Fe.
Old 02-06-18, 07:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
If this is more the size of the Santa Fe Sport, I'm interested to see pix of the new regular Santa Fe.

To me, it looks about the same size as the one bit posted, but I'll admit the camera angle in the top view can be deceiving.

You do bring up a good point, however, if Hyundai is, in fact, going offer two different sizes in the U.S. this time, like it did with the last-generation.
Old 02-06-18, 07:44 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
To me, it looks about the same size as the one bit posted, but I'll admit the camera angle in the top view can be deceiving.

You do bring up a good point, however, if Hyundai is, in fact, going offer two different sizes in the U.S. this time, like it did with the last-generation.
The block quote was from the article OP sourced the pix from, so if you posted a pic of the same car, it's the smaller version.
Old 02-06-18, 09:17 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Hyundais sell extremely well here in Los Angeles. I think they are doing quite well with their current sedans and SUVs.
There are pros and cons with this restyle, but overall it looks to be a very solid hit.
What I don't like are the nerdy and messy double a-pillars. There's no need for these, even with the sideview mirrors migrating down to the body. The extra pillars also impeded visibility when making lefthand turns.
The center console is way off. The lower segment doesn't match or line up with the middle segment. And the middle segment doesn't match or line up with the upper segment. The nav screen also looks tacked on, as it does in the new Accord and A4. Lastly, the pointy air vents are tacky. With the exterior, the front fog lights are way oversized. This detracts from an otherwise attractive face.
What is good are those headlights. As I've said over the years, give any vehicle slim headlights and the entire front-end transforms into a slick or sinister look. Also rating an A+ is the shape of the greenhouse. It's so refreshing to see an SUV that doesn't have swoopy or cut-off windows in the name of style (cough cough RX). The wheel wells are nicely shaped, manual shifting (+/-) is included, and the seats look very modern and comfortable.
My dad has a 2014, which has proven to be very reliable and comfortable. Look forward to the new model and more info.
Old 02-06-18, 09:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Hopefully this new Santa Fe can help turn around things for Hyundai. Three years of declining sales is never good. The cross over segment has never been more competitive. My brother has a Sante Fe.
lol. their decline is due to 2 factors... more sedans than they need, and a PLAN to vastly reduce their fleet sales.
they're doing just fine.
Old 02-07-18, 06:10 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Hyundais sell extremely well here in Los Angeles. I think they are doing quite well with their current sedans and SUVs.
There are pros and cons with this restyle, but overall it looks to be a very solid hit.
What I don't like are the nerdy and messy double a-pillars. There's no need for these, even with the sideview mirrors migrating down to the body. The extra pillars also impeded visibility when making lefthand turns.
The center console is way off. The lower segment doesn't match or line up with the middle segment. And the middle segment doesn't match or line up with the upper segment. The nav screen also looks tacked on, as it does in the new Accord and A4. Lastly, the pointy air vents are tacky. With the exterior, the front fog lights are way oversized. This detracts from an otherwise attractive face.
What is good are those headlights. As I've said over the years, give any vehicle slim headlights and the entire front-end transforms into a slick or sinister look. Also rating an A+ is the shape of the greenhouse. It's so refreshing to see an SUV that doesn't have swoopy or cut-off windows in the name of style (cough cough RX). The wheel wells are nicely shaped, manual shifting (+/-) is included, and the seats look very modern and comfortable.
My dad has a 2014, which has proven to be very reliable and comfortable. Look forward to the new model and more info.
I believe the slim top lights are the DRL's and what you're referring to as oversized foglights are a combo of headlight and foglight, as well as turn signals.

What part of the center console is way off? It all seems well centered/aligned. It doesn't flow continuously like the old vertically focused center stack of the past, but I feel they're at least centered together. Vs in the Sonata, even with the update, the Screen is not centered in the same way as the control units below.

Old 02-07-18, 06:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

lol. their decline is due to 2 factors... more sedans than they need, and a PLAN to vastly reduce their fleet sales.
they're doing just fine.
They are not actually doing well. In the US they were down 11% last year.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN1FI2QJ

They are off to a decent start in January 2018
Old 02-07-18, 07:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

They are not actually doing well. In the US they were down 11% last year.
you keep singing that tune even though you're ignoring the reasons. retail sales were down 5% because, as i said, they have too many sedans and not a fully competitive suv line-up.

2017 Year End Sales
For the complete year, 685,555 Hyundai and Genesis branded vehicles were sold, a 12 percent decline from the all-time yearly sales record established in 2016. Annual sales were lower due in large part to a concerted effort to decrease fleet sales, which were down 31 percent on the year. Retail sales were down only 5 percent, despite a car-to-SUV mix inverse to the industry.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300577146.html
Old 02-07-18, 07:58 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

I like how Hyundai is going in their own direction with their design language. It’s longer copying the Japanese manufactures. It’s certainly has a muscular look to it. Very nice front and side profile. Good Hyundai.
Old 02-07-18, 08:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you keep singing that tune even though you're ignoring the reasons. retail sales were down 5% because, as i said, they have too many sedans and not a fully competitive suv line-up.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300577146.html
which is exactly why I said hopefully this new Santa Fe will help to reverse a sales slide. Their profit is also down. And Genesis is not selling more in 2017 than it did the year before. And their retail sales prices are not as high as other industry competitors. The Genesis models sold better when they were Hyundai branded.
Old 02-07-18, 08:39 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

And Genesis is not selling more in 2017 than it did the year before. And their retail sales prices are not as high as other industry competitors. The Genesis models sold better when they were Hyundai branded.
Bit is accurate in his assessment of the position of Hyundai and their current status. The launch of the Kona, continued success of the Tucson and these upcoming Santa Fe's, as well as the eventual lifestyle type truck will continue to bolster Hyundai's sales volumes.

What information/data do you have on Genesis and their sales momentum? G90 in 2017 sold 4,398 cars. Equus/G90 Sales in 2016 combined were about ~2,100. So more than double on a vastly more expensive and updated product. Genesis/G80 sales have slowed a bit, but that segment and being in the 3rd year of its lifecycle contribute substantially to that. The G80 is still pushing more than 1,200 units a month. Lexus GS never sold more than 1,000 in a month in all of 2017. With GS sales down nearly 50% in 2017 vs 2016. So to that end I think Genesis is hold its own quite well, especially with a disjointed retail strategy that is just now trying to get in line.
Old 02-07-18, 09:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The center console is way off. The lower segment doesn't match or line up with the middle segment. And the middle segment doesn't match or line up with the upper
Originally Posted by pbm317
What part of the center console is way off? It all seems well centered/aligned. It doesn't flow continuously like the old vertically focused center stack of the past, but I feel they're at least centered together.

pbm317, if you look closely, I think that what Fizzboy is referring to (though I don't consider it a big deal) is the way that the lower console-edge sweeps up vertically on its left side, but at about a 20 or 30-degree angle on the right. The right side of the edge-trim also flows continuously all the way to the upper-dash....the left side does not. It does have a slight mis-adjusted look, but, like I said, no big deal. Certainly would not be a deal-breaker for me if I was shopping for this vehicle.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-07-18 at 09:09 AM.

Quick Reply: 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe