Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Hyundai Santa Fe

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-18, 09:09 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

What's been posted looks so much better than the last one I rented (mos ago), which was very chintzy. The Murano was as well though less so, but I'm not sure if those two cars are in the same class. Used to be a fan of Hyundai but I find their vehicles to be quite pricey, and my buddy said they have motor issues....
Old 02-07-18, 10:06 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
pbm317, if you look closely, I think that what Fizzboy is referring to (though I don't consider it a big deal) is the way that the lower console-edge sweeps up vertically on its left side, but at about a 20 or 30-degree angle on the right. The right side of the edge-trim also flows continuously all the way to the upper-dash....the left side does not. It does have a slight mis-adjusted look, but, like I said, no big deal. Certainly would not be a deal-breaker for me if I was shopping for this vehicle.
You do realize that the picture i posted was of the Sonata, and not the Santa Fe, correct? Taken from your comment about the right side of the edge trim flowing to the upper dash.... it seems as though you're referring to my Sonata picture.
Old 02-07-18, 10:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Bit is accurate in his assessment of the position of Hyundai and their current status. The launch of the Kona, continued success of the Tucson and these upcoming Santa Fe's, as well as the eventual lifestyle type truck will continue to bolster Hyundai's sales volumes.
We shall see about that. Can Hyundai charge the same prices as their competitors? I don't think they can. They are certainly not doing it now yet they are giving away a longer warranty. Their resale value is poor as well. They are not a leader in the reliability indexes for long term

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-07-18 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-07-18, 10:47 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I like the new exterior. The interior design is pleasant enough but I'm not a fan. I do like the brown color both inside and out.
Old 02-07-18, 11:28 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
We shall see about that. Can Hyundai charge the same prices as their competitors? I don't think they can. They are certainly not doing it now yet they are giving away a longer warranty. Their resale value is poor as well. They are not a leader in the reliability indexes for long term
Those are very different points you're now trying to drag out. I didn't claim they would be able to charge the same prices as their competitors. That's also very much a function of sales volume weighed against pricing ambitions. There's a balance to be made there. No Hyundai is not a leader in the reliability index. But the 2017 JD Power VDS results showed that Hyundai was the most improved, and was just 6th, behind Lexus/Porsche, Toyota, Buick and Mercedes. It was Hyundai's highest achievement ever. So they're definitely not struggling there, other than continuing to fight that perception, and having to utilize items like that long warranty to assuage potential customers. In the IQS study, (obviously both studies are saddled with their own flaws no doubt), Hyundai leads even Toyota and Lexus. Kia and Genesis were #1 and #2.

To Bit's earlier point, reductions in heavy rental penetration will also yield improvements to resale value. The brand/company made a huge leap in the 2011 timeframe, they've had to readjust as the rest of the market regained their footing and now they're trying to make another push.

Please provide more pertinent data as to the distress of Hyundai other than the sales declines that you consistently point to.
Old 02-07-18, 11:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Those are very different points you're now trying to drag out. I didn't claim they would be able to charge the same prices as their competitors. That's also very much a function of sales volume weighed against pricing ambitions. There's a balance to be made there. No Hyundai is not a leader in the reliability index. But the 2017 JD Power VDS results showed that Hyundai was the most improved, and was just 6th, behind Lexus/Porsche, Toyota, Buick and Mercedes. It was Hyundai's highest achievement ever. So they're definitely not struggling there, other than continuing to fight that perception, and having to utilize items like that long warranty to assuage potential customers. In the IQS study, (obviously both studies are saddled with their own flaws no doubt), Hyundai leads even Toyota and Lexus. Kia and Genesis were #1 and #2.

To Bit's earlier point, reductions in heavy rental penetration will also yield improvements to resale value. The brand/company made a huge leap in the 2011 timeframe, they've had to readjust as the rest of the market regained their footing and now they're trying to make another push.

Please provide more pertinent data as to the distress of Hyundai other than the sales declines that you consistently point to.
No more pertinent data is needed. The Hyundai brand is not on par with Toyota, Honda, Chevrolet or Ford. I put a lot of value on the price people are willing to pay for something vs what the competition is charging. I also look at resale value and long term reliability. Nowhere have I said Hyundai makes a poor vehicle. A lot of people on here try to claim that the Hyundai brand is on par with Toyota brand, they are not.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-07-18 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-07-18, 11:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I like the new exterior. The interior design is pleasant enough but I'm not a fan. I do like the brown color both inside and out.
Exterior is pretty good. The interior I am not so sure of. It looks too much like a Chevrolet
Old 02-07-18, 11:48 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

No more pertinent data is needed. The Hyundai brand is not on par with Toyota, Honda, Chevrolet or Ford. I put a lot of value on the price people are willing to pay for something vs what the competition is charging. I also look at resale value and long term reliability. Nowhere have I said Hyundai makes a poor vehicle. A lot of people on here try to claim that the Hyundai brand is on par with Toyota brand, they are not.
I would agree that no, the Hyundai brand in itself is far from the strength of Toyota. However, in terms of product quality, competitiveness and overall execution, I would say that in many cases they meet/exceed competitive products from Toyota, and many other stalwart brands.
Old 02-07-18, 11:50 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I would agree that no, the Hyundai brand in itself is far from the strength of Toyota. However, in terms of product quality, competitiveness and overall execution, I would say that in many cases they meet/exceed competitive products from Toyota, and many other stalwart brands.
Yet prices, resale, and overall unit sales do not reflect your opinion.
Old 02-07-18, 11:52 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Yet prices, resale, and overall unit sales do not reflect your opinion.
Prices, resale value and overall sales are more heavily impacted by the power of the brand. It takes time to build to that. And Hyundai is doing many things to build strength there.
Old 02-07-18, 11:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

And Hyundai is doing many things to build strength there.
And Toyota and Honda have not been doing things to strengthen their brands? I believe Toyota dominates Hyundai on fuel efficiency across most of the line up.
Old 02-07-18, 12:10 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

And Toyota and Honda have not been doing things to strengthen their brands? I believe Toyota dominates Hyundai on fuel efficiency across most of the line up.
Sorry to others but we're continuing off topic here. We could probably split this out to yet another thread.

Toyota and Honda of course have been working to strengthen their brands, but there's only so much the leaders can go up/push ahead. There's much more room for other brands to come up.

As for Toyota "dominates" Hyundai on Fuel Economy? Let's look at some core models: RAV4 AWD 25 Combined, Tucson AWD 25 Combined, 2018 Corolla, 31 Combined, 2018 Elantra 32 Combined. Yes, the Camry (all-new) is 32, whereas Sonata is 28, but again, Camry is TNGA with 8 speed auto, etc. So Toyota again doesn't dominate across "most" of the lineup, as you put it.
Old 02-07-18, 12:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

LexsCTJill - No one's said hyundai is the equal of toyota in north america, or the world, so you might want to quit with the false strawman (strawperson? ) arguments you setup and knock down like a cheap pinata.

if you don't think hyundai is worthy of any discussion until it meets your standard of equal or better than toyota, you're entitled to that view but no need to bring up your 'yeah but they're not as good as toyota or honda' every time.
Old 02-07-18, 12:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if you don't think hyundai is worthy of any discussion until it meets your standard of equal or better than toyota, you're entitled to that view but no need to bring up your 'yeah but they're not as good as toyota or honda' every time.
I never said that originally. I simply said.

"Hopefully this new Santa Fe can help turn around things for Hyundai. Three years of declining sales is never good. The cross over segment has never been more competitive. My brother has a Sante Fe."
Old 02-07-18, 12:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Hyundai is worth the discussion. It does not have to meet or be better than Toyota to discuss. It just needs be discussed on what it is. People seem to forget that Toyota models historically have never been the best vehicles on the market. They never have had these best interiors either. They have been competitive. Same with Honda. General Motors had and still does have designs that are clearly better than Toyota, however where Toyota or Honda has always excelled in where ease of use, dealer experience, customer satisfaction surveys, reliability of course and overall value. And currently they have increased their sales for 2017 while the overall market is contracting.

The way I see it, Hyundai is clearly competitive with Toyota and all of the competitors out there. There is no such things a better vehicle IMO either/or way.

Back to this Santa Fe, the exterior looks good. I am not so sure about the interior.

The Honda Pilot looks like it is the class leader.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-07-18 at 12:42 PM.

Quick Reply: 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe