Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Mercedes E class?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-18, 09:04 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
which to me says it's a great design, because (again) to me, i dislike most vehicles in white. i think the lack of cladding, and much trim makes it look 'clean', and the front overhang is short, which i'm a big fan of.
I think E Class is a beautiful car, and I may switch back to Benz next time if President Akio keeps playing around with this "no more boring car", and inspired styling and inspired dynamics philosophy.

Last year, 51k+ Americans picked the E Class, to 40k+ 5 Series, to 16k+ A6, to 10k+ CTS, to 7k+ GS, 5k+ Infiniti Q70, 4k+ Jaguar XF's and <1k Acura RLX.
Keep in mind that the FWD-based with long front overhang ES on its final year, though at a noticeably cheaper price, still managed to tie the all new E Class with 51k+ 6.5ES sales too, while the Genesis G80 got 16.5k+ sales...

Last edited by peteharvey; 02-05-18 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 10:59 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

i only don't really like how the front of these new benzes is too upright and not really too sleek looking (my opinion) but the rest of it i like very much

also (and this is just me refusing to get with the times) i think being able to get a $70,000+ vehicle with a 4 cylinder is a bit wrong, and i'd love to see a modern version of the V8 Kompressor come back, these new turbo engines just don't give you that aggressively violent excitement that the supercharged ones did, but oh well better mpgs also isn't too bad
Old 02-06-18, 11:30 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
which to me says it's a great design, because (again) to me, i dislike most vehicles in white. i think the lack of cladding, and much trim makes it look 'clean', and the front overhang is short, which i'm a big fan of.
While white looks good on a lot of luxury cars main gripe with the color is how common it is. White cars, no matter how expensive, seem to just blend in with everything else.

I prefer black as it (a) looks sleeker and stands out more than white and (b) isn't a common color on lower end cars.
Old 02-06-18, 12:34 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i only don't really like how the front of these new benzes is too upright and not really too sleek looking (my opinion) but the rest of it i like very much

also (and this is just me refusing to get with the times) i think being able to get a $70,000+ vehicle with a 4 cylinder is a bit wrong, and i'd love to see a modern version of the V8 Kompressor come back, these new turbo engines just don't give you that aggressively violent excitement that the supercharged ones did, but oh well better mpgs also isn't too bad
Right for $70k you can get into a BMW M550I with 456 Hp TTV8
Old 02-06-18, 05:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
While white looks good on a lot of luxury cars main gripe with the color is how common it is. White cars, no matter how expensive, seem to just blend in with everything else.

I prefer black as it (a) looks sleeker and stands out more than white and (b) isn't a common color on lower end cars.
Agree. White seems to be a such a common color. I think most people just like neutral stuff
Old 02-06-18, 06:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

While I've had white cars, and like a nice crisp white, and really like the pearl whites you find on luxury cars. For some reason they largely feel like rental or fleet cars to me.
Old 02-06-18, 07:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
While I've had white cars, and like a nice crisp white, and really like the pearl whites you find on luxury cars. For some reason they largely feel like rental or fleet cars to me.
Agreed on the standard rental-white, which is appliance-like, but, yes, on most vehicles, the Pearl-White beats it hands-down. It does tend to attract some buyers, though, which is one reason (along with a rather difficult and complex paint-process) why some automakers charge extra for it. On the Lacrosse, for example, it is the most expensive color available....a $600 option, even on the Avenir models ($995 on lesser trim-versions).
Old 02-06-18, 07:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think neutral colors like white, they take the risk out of the becoming boring or out of fad. Also, white, grey, silver, or black can also be matched to another car in the drive way or a house for example etc etc. The color one pics is an interesting subject. I like light or beige interiors. Grey to me is the worst, it reminds me of a cloudy overcast day. Sadly, my 4Runner is grey on the interior.
Old 02-06-18, 07:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I think neutral colors like white, they take the risk out of the becoming boring or out of fad. Also, white, grey, silver, or black can also be matched to another car in the drive way or a house for example etc etc. The color one pics is an interesting subject. I like light or beige interiors. Grey to me is the worst, it reminds me of a cloudy overcast day. Sadly, my 4Runner is grey on the interior.
I'm about as safe with colors as one can be lol, I went from silver to grey to back to silver lol.
Old 02-06-18, 07:16 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

What's really interesting is the designo white is actually a yellower white, which I find really unattractive next to the stark white which is free
Old 02-06-18, 07:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yes it is, I have noticed the same thing and feel the same way.
Old 02-06-18, 07:18 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm about as safe with colors as one can be lol, I went from silver to grey to back to silver lol.
You're a wild and crazy guy. I'm in the same boat, our current cars are dark grey and silver.
Old 02-06-18, 07:23 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
You're a wild and crazy guy. I'm in the same boat, our current cars are dark grey and silver.
Been there, done that.. The redder, the better!
Old 02-06-18, 07:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
What's really interesting is the designo white is actually a yellower white, which I find really unattractive next to the stark white which is free
Never noticed that.
Old 02-06-18, 07:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

What about the interior color? What do you like?

Quick Reply: 2018 Mercedes E class?