Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Mercedes E class?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-18, 08:20 AM
nas2344
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2018 Mercedes E class?

thinking of purchasing one, what everyone's thoughts pro and cons? i would be getting the E400
Old 02-03-18, 11:49 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't think of any cons. The 5er is probably marginally sportier. The E's styling is a little anonymous but that's a common theme for everything in this class.

Also, MB likely stocks dealers overwhelmingly with MB-Tex for the E300, I don't imagine things being much different for the E400.
Old 02-03-18, 12:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Pretty nice car. I think there is an option where you can select vertical seat stitching or you can can horizontal. There is also a model with digital gauge delete. You can get some of the oddest looking afterthought speed gauges I have ever seen.
Old 02-03-18, 12:58 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

the vertical stitching comes on both the sport and luxury models if you get MB-Tex. If you get the sport model with leather, it goes to horizontal stitching. And if you get nappa leather, it goes back to vertical stitching. I didnt want leather but was forced to because I couldn't stand the vertical stitching.

Last edited by RXSF; 02-03-18 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-03-18, 02:36 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

The only question you need to ask is, why not sooner. I presume this is a lease without a lease end purchase? Dont purchase it outright.
Old 02-03-18, 03:04 PM
RXSF

...i purchased it outright *shrug*
Old 02-03-18, 04:07 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSF
the vertical stitching comes on both the sport and luxury models if you get MB-Tex. If you get the sport model with leather, it goes to horizontal stitching. And if you get kappa leather, it goes back to vertical stitching. I didnt want leather but was forced to because I couldn't stand the vertical stitching.
So the stitching direction is more important to you than having real leather?
Old 02-03-18, 05:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the new e class is awesome, love it. had the e300 and it was all good except slow, so e400 should be better
Old 02-03-18, 05:26 PM
RXSF

I have owned MBs with MB-tex and I have no qualms with it. To me, feels very leather like as MB leather is pretty rough anyways, not like the stuff we are used to at Lexus. Anyway, MB started using the same double stitching on MB tex anyways so visually its the same. In addition, it doesnt show any sign of wear. For those who do not have the time to use proper leather care, side bolsters and particularly the thigh support gets very wrinkly and that bothers me much more. In addition, the humane aspect of it is also note worthy.
Old 02-03-18, 05:33 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup I would get mb tex just for the durability aspect of it, you can use it for years and they will still look brand new. the real leather version will wrinkle right away.
Old 02-03-18, 07:14 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSF
I have owned MBs with MB-tex and I have no qualms with it. To me, feels very leather like as MB leather is pretty rough anyways, not like the stuff we are used to at Lexus. Anyway, MB started using the same double stitching on MB tex anyways so visually its the same. In addition, it doesnt show any sign of wear. For those who do not have the time to use proper leather care, side bolsters and particularly the thigh support gets very wrinkly and that bothers me much more. In addition, the humane aspect of it is also note worthy.
I see your point as far as time goes. Haven't had a Merc but in the Lexus and multiple Bimmers the leather has held up just fine. An hour a few saturday mornings per year has kept them all in mint condition.

My viewpoint may be antiquated, but for me personally a luxury car interior must have leather, real metals, and real wood. Otherwise you're just paying for the name. But then again, I'm young and don't have kids. My tune may change when that happens.

Last edited by BrownPride; 02-03-18 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-03-18, 07:26 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

MB tex regardless of the stitching has always had the durability like no other. Vehicles with leather in the long run at least (like past warranty) end up in tears and rips for at least those who live in harsh climates and/or where you dont do anything to protect the leather. The MB tex/fake leather ages better.

In regards to owning vs leasing, its a sedan that is a good lease, lets be realistic in longevity, the E is alot of industry firsts in it, so expect till warranty its good. after that its going to be a cash cow, but again OP is buying or leasing new, so not an issue. Rule of thumb, going to the pioneer in the market with no intent to buy out, lease lease lease. If going to purchase for the long run, go with the one thats got a good record or says Lexus on the badge. :P
Old 02-03-18, 09:35 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

A great car, no question. Downside is it looks identical to the lesser C class. Mercede's biggest problem right now. I'd get the C class, save massive money, and everyone will think you have the more expensive E class.
Old 02-03-18, 11:59 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I see your point as far as time goes. Haven't had a Merc but in the Lexus and multiple Bimmers the leather has held up just fine. An hour a few saturday mornings per year has kept them all in mint condition.

My viewpoint may be antiquated, but for me personally a luxury car interior must have leather, real metals, and real wood. Otherwise you're just paying for the name. But then again, I'm young and don't have kids. My tune may change when that happens.
Completely understandable. But to me, luxury has evolved a bit and to me, it means quality and technology. So for quality, the real open pore wood, the actual metal buttons, and the stitching do it for me. Leather doesnt necessarily mean quality to me...
The technology, no question. I bought my E with every tech option I could because I really wanted the self driving tech. Then theres the extra engineering. I recently noticed this ridge that surrounds my E's side mirror. On the freeway, while its raining, I noticed the water drops hit the outside of the mirror shell, and then slides into the ridge where it is expelled on the far edge of the mirror. Details excite me.
Old 02-04-18, 05:27 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I really like the two large screens in MB's interiors. I'm a tech geek and these large screens really appeal to me. The more there are the better and they can't be big enough.

MB, Tesla and Audi got it right, in fact, I like MB's iteration better than Audi just because the screens are larger. Tesla wins the grand prize, though (Model S screen and dash).

Lexus' digital dash-- in the few cars that offer it--is way too small. Doesn't have that WOW factor that MB's dash possesses.

Quick Reply: 2018 Mercedes E class?