Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

falling asleep while driving can be fatal...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-18, 07:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

i did see on this video that if a turn signal is on it disables the lane alert / assist, and he crashed RIGHT past his exit, so maybe he had signalled to exit but fell asleep right then... doesn't make sense but then none of this does.

Old 02-05-18, 07:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed...particularly if one had tire-failure, especially on a front wheel.
there was no tire failure.

Bit, while respecting your request not to keep delving into the cause of the crash, I still think it's very important that the police or fire department report if he was belted-in properly or not....and/or if the airbag went off. The 2017 Corolla was supposedly past the time they had those defective Takada air-bag sensors, but, who knows?......
i know. he was seat belted in and all airbags (even side) went off.
Old 02-05-18, 08:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Seat belts and air bags can only do so much. It is a very very tragic story. I used to drive tired when I was young and thought that I was invincible, until I had a VERY close call with a moose. Now I try to avoid even driving at nights, and I constantly argue with my daughter and her boyfriend as they keep driving at night from VA and back when they come to visit us in NYC.
Old 02-05-18, 11:07 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

so sorry to hear about your loss, nobody wants to find out this happened to a loved one
Old 02-06-18, 05:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Seat belts and air bags can only do so much. It is a very very tragic story. I used to drive tired when I was young and thought that I was invincible, until I had a VERY close call with a moose. Now I try to avoid even driving at nights, and I constantly argue with my daughter and her boyfriend as they keep driving at night from VA and back when they come to visit us in NYC.
We used to do road trips at night all the time too, and nowadays I try and avoid it.
Old 02-06-18, 05:36 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS

We used to do road trips at night all the time too, and nowadays I try and avoid it.
Yep. Just too many dangers - being tired yourself, poor visibility, even colder during the winter, animal, and drunk drivers coming back from parties.
Old 02-06-18, 09:19 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Sorry I'm late for wishing my condolences to you and your GF's family.

(I read through all 3 pages, I'm curious to know the limitation/functions of the new '17 Toyota safety sense.
No technology can replace human input, but it is nice to have it in situations like these.)
Old 02-06-18, 10:10 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So absolutely sorry to hear about this for you and your family...

As to your point about potentially having turned the lane departure alert off, it would be interesting. During development evaluations, we often noted that many vehicles that have lane departure alert (not any sort of active lane keep assist that tries to keep the vehicle in the lane), if it was just an audible warning, many drivers tend to shut the system off as it can be annoying, seen as somewhat naggy. When cars had lane departure alert systems that either shake/vibrate the wheel (I believe Fords do this) or vibrate the seat (GM), customers were more likely to leave it on, and thus maintain the benefit of the lane departure alerts. There's no one right way to implement a product/feature, but it does seem that it would potentially benefit consumers to having a standard way of interacting with similar systems across brands/manufacturers. Even within a manufacturer lineup there are differences in how similar systems work.
Old 02-06-18, 12:52 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Sorry to hear this. Losing a loved one is never easy.
Old 02-07-18, 01:44 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

So sorry for you and all your family, I know its tough losing somebody, especially somebody that young.

I worked 3rd shift for a bit, vowed to never do that again in my life. Had to drive about 30-40 minutes home, directly into the morning sun. Something about that sunlight, forced you to squint, combined with the fatigue, it was a very dangerous combo. I could think of 2 or 3 times where I had to pull off the highway, recline the seat and take a 15-20 minute power nap to make it home.
Old 02-07-18, 04:25 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Sorry to hear about this tragedy. Driving is no joke. We can take it for granted because it's done without thinking or batting an eyelash.

I once was coming back from Atlantic City late, and my bro's wedding was coming up. NJ State Troop car lights it up, and I'm thinking not only am I going to miss my brother's wedding, I"ll likely lose my job (I was single back then and would have no way to get to work). Way to go genius, we reap what we sow. This was 2005.

We pull into a Wendy's parking lot, exiting the highway. I think I"m going to have to call out some favors come Monday, this is bad.

License and registration....I'm so nervous I hand him my insurance card. He looks at it, hands it back, says you're John? Do you know why I pulled you over tonight?

I said yes, I was wandering in my lane.

Next time, pull off the highway, get yourself some coffee, and don't start driving again until you are ready. Have a good night.

Lesson learned.
Old 12-14-18, 10:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

well it's been 10 months and i wanted to bump this thread as a reminder to all especially during the holidays and poor winter weather that driving is still DANGEROUS, especially if we're tired or intoxicated, or both.

the last time we saw Matthew, 23 was last Christmas. it was joyful, fun-filled, quality time. a month later, a couple of weeks before his 24th birthday, he was gone.

it's been a very difficult year to say the least, and grief is the other side of love... both very powerful.

drive safe all, don't assume anything, and if you're tired or intoxicated, STOP DRIVING IMMEDIATELY or better still, let someone else who is neither do it.
Old 12-14-18, 10:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
don't assume anything, and if you're tired or intoxicated, STOP DRIVING IMMEDIATELY or better still, let someone else who is neither do it.
Yep.....as a lifelong teetotaler, I was a Friday Night Designated Driver for the parties and cookouts my friends and co-workers used to have.

Also thinking about your Significant Other...I hope you and her have as nice a Holiday Season this year as possible , despite the loss early in the year.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-14-18 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-14-18, 11:55 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
well it's been 10 months and i wanted to bump this thread as a reminder to all especially during the holidays and poor winter weather that driving is still DANGEROUS, especially if we're tired or intoxicated, or both.

the last time we saw Matthew, 23 was last Christmas. it was joyful, fun-filled, quality time. a month later, a couple of weeks before his 24th birthday, he was gone.

it's been a very difficult year to say the least, and grief is the other side of love... both very powerful.

drive safe all, don't assume anything, and if you're tired or intoxicated, STOP DRIVING IMMEDIATELY or better still, let someone else who is neither do it.
I didn't see this thread initially - incredibly sorry for the loss. I will echo your "stop driving immediately" comment - just last weekend my wife and I went to a Christmas party and took an Uber there. Stayed way too late and ended up calling an Uber at 1:30am which would put us home around 2am. The driver was a mid 20's guy - seemed very nice and professional, was a pro truck driver as his regular job. But something seemed "off" - I don't think he was drunk, but he was either on some type of drug or was exhausted. I noticed it about 10 minutes into our 30 minute trip. I asked him to modify our route so we wouldn't be on the interstate and was using my wife's phone to look at available Uber cars nearby so I could consider canceling the ride. It was a dilemma because I didn't want to be dropped off at a gas station at 1:45am with seemingly no Uber's available to pick us up. I ended up just keeping him engaged in conversation in effort to keep him alert and focused on roads with a low speed limit. We obviously got home safely but I truly regret not stopping the ride. Next time, I will. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 12-14-18, 12:22 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

This is my first time seeing this (wasn't around for a few years). Sorry for your loss bit..

I've found that a lot of people think they can beat the fatigue and just power through the drive home, and sometimes, sadly, that's just not the case. Whoever may be reading this, your own safety starts with you. If you feel too tired to drive, or even have to question whether you're good to drive, just err on the side of caution and catch a ride from someone, take a taxi/Uber/Lyft, or get your S/O to drive. In addition to that, if you notice someone who looks tired or intoxicated and is reaching for their keys, do your part and call them out.

It's just not worth the risk.

Quick Reply: falling asleep while driving can be fatal...