Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car show attendance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-18, 05:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I got away with an old trick today at the D.C. show (also have done it several times in past years)...got in through the gate without a show-ticket, because the ink-marking that they put on my hand from last time I was there (Friday) had not completely worn off my skin yet. That will work if they do not change the ink color or pattern each day. Or in this case, maybe they changed it over the week end, and went back to the same color today.

Is that stealing? Not IMO. If I show them my hand (like we're supposed to do), and they don't ask for a pass, or just motion me on through, then that's on them, not me. Besides, even if they DO ask for a ticket, I usually have free ones anyway from the dealerships.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-29-18 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-29-18, 06:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I’m literally shocked you did that LOL
Old 01-29-18, 06:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I’m literally shocked you did that LOL
Well, let's just say I've got a plan for that extra unused ticket.
Old 01-29-18, 06:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, let's just say I've got a plan for that extra unused ticket.
Haha, if you need me to bail you out of jail just give me a call!
Old 01-29-18, 07:46 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Anything fun to see at the Chicago one this year? I don't know if it's worth going just to see some regular every day clunkers... Any cool concept cars?
Old 01-29-18, 09:07 PM
mr. tetsuo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Went to the Houston Auto Show on the final day yesterday and it got pretty filled.

Did not attend last year, but speaking with the ticket taker, she said it appeared busier then the year prior.
Old 10-28-23, 05:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

the slow death of major car shows continues...

Mercedes, BMW, Audi, VW Pull Out Of 2024 Geneva Motor Show

OCT. 27, 2023 11:17 AM ETBY SEBASTIAN CENIZO GENEVA MOTOR SHOW / 15 COMMENTS

Germany's biggest carmakers have pulled out, and more will surely follow suit.

After lukewarm support for the confusing Geneva International Motor Show Qatar 2023, show organizers will have been hoping for a big bang when the show returns to Switzerland in 2024. Those hopes have now been dashed by the withdrawal of multiple major German automakers.

Speaking to Automotive News Europe, representatives from Mercedes-Benz, Audi, and BMW all confirmed that their respective brands will not be at Geneva 2024, with BMW the only of the three to provide an explanation.

Munich said it was focusing on a "social first" approach and its own NextGen future technologies information platform (effectively a one-make online auto show) while phasing out its participation in existing auto shows, and "this includes appearances in Geneva, Paris, and Detroit."

Volkswagen Passenger Cars has also withdrawn, and although announcements on brands like Cupra, Skoda, and Porsche have not yet been made, sources say it's unlikely that any VW Group brand will attend.
more here:

https://carbuzz.com/news/mercedes-bm...eva-motor-show
Old 10-28-23, 05:39 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I went to the Anaheim car show and it was not good. I had a good time because I was with my brother and our longtime friend, but the show used to be pretty good and it wasn’t this year.
Old 10-28-23, 06:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by link13
I went to the Anaheim car show and it was not good. I had a good time because I was with my brother and our longtime friend, but the show used to be pretty good and it wasn’t this year.
when was this and why wasn't it good? who was missing?
Old 10-28-23, 09:45 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Its pretty sad what has happened for people that went to these major shows in 90s to 2010s.

Amazing presentations and really cool concept cars.

Its definitely not bec a lack of attendance at least for NY Auto Show.

The automakers basically decided to cater more to private wealthy shows like the ones during Car Week in Monterey rather invest that $$$ to general shows. I personally think its a huge mistake.

The NY Auto Show this year was embarrassing.
Old 10-28-23, 11:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Its pretty sad what has happened for people that went to these major shows in 90s to 2010s.
I personally think its a huge mistake.
they look at ROI and car shows don't provide enough national exposure. much better to do it on youtube or other media that's accessible anywhere.
Old 10-28-23, 02:04 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
when was this and why wasn't it good? who was missing?
We went on October 6. Not all of the luxury brands were there. Lexus was and I loved the IS500. I think it was probably good for a lot of people, but I have no interest in mini SUVs. Maserati went one year quite some time ago and they weren’t there. The show felt like a mail in as if the companies didn’t care. There was nothing interesting or exciting about it.
Old 10-28-23, 02:07 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

they look at ROI and car shows don't provide enough national exposure. much better to do it on youtube or other media that's accessible anywhere.
You can’t measure people’s reactions seeing the cars in person especially people that are otherwise not car fans. Auto shows attract general public as something to do like when some exhibition comes to town. Folks take kids there that may have never seen anything like those cars.

Sometimes looking at too much ROI data makes you look sight of big picture.
Old 10-28-23, 05:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

With all due respect, I don't quite buy that line...never have. Youtube doesn't tell you if you can easily fit inside of a vehicle, how comfortable the seats are, what the materials inside feel like, how well done the paint job is, or, in some cases, give you at least a rudimentary basic feel of the vehicle in a short test-drive around the show-circuit. No, the show circuit is not a real test-drive, but it's better than nothing.

Now, having said that, there ARE some excellent Youtube reviewers....as you know, I have a very high option of Alex Dykes. But even those reviews aren't quite the same as being there yourself.
Old 10-29-23, 12:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With all due respect, I don't quite buy that line...never have. Youtube doesn't tell you if you can easily fit inside of a vehicle, how comfortable the seats are, what the materials inside feel like, how well done the paint job is, or, in some cases, give you at least a rudimentary basic feel of the vehicle in a short test-drive around the show-circuit. No, the show circuit is not a real test-drive, but it's better than nothing.
with all due respect, i disagree on every point. before i bought my lc500, i watched every youtube review. i watched 6'5" people get in and out of one. i watched detailed pros and cons. yes the materials too, and yes how well the paint is done, and tons of tons of opinions and video on how the car drives and what its compromises strengths and weaknesses were. i would learn almost none of that at a car show.

i bought the lc500 sight unseen having not taken a test drive. besides the excitement of it all, there were very very few surprises.

Now, having said that, there ARE some excellent Youtube reviewers....as you know, I have a very high option of Alex Dykes. But even those reviews aren't quite the same as being there yourself.
we all know your opinion of alex, but again, i don't agree. i think he's terrible. not worthless, but not enjoyable for me to watch.

Quick Reply: Car show attendance?