Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Lexus SuperBowl Ad

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-18, 04:40 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile 2018 Lexus SuperBowl Ad

http://adage.com/article/special-rep...owl-ad/312083/

Watch: Black Panther Stars in Lexus Super Bowl Ad

When most brands talk about luring younger buyers, millennials or Gen Z kids come to mind. But Lexus will settle for getting a few more fortysomethings in the fold. Aging down is one of the goals for Lexus' Black Panther-themed Super Bowl spot starring the Marvel superhero and the new 2018 Lexus LS 500 F Sport performance sedan. An extended cut of the ad was released today.
Lexus is targeting buyers ages 45 to 55 with the new LS. That's significantly younger than the average age of current LS buyers, which hovers in the upper 60s, according to the brand. Lexus vehicles don't come cheap—the suggested retail price for the flagship 2018 LS 500 is $75,000— so it's not surprising that a lot of younger folks can't afford them. This ain't Honda, after all.

But with the new LS, Lexus marketers are hoping to lure younger buyers who are more style and performance-minded, says Lexus Marketing VP Cooper Ericksen. "We are really opening up this LS product to a much broader audience than we've had in the last several years," he says.

The ad is by Lexus' multicultural agency, Walton Isaacson. A 30-second version will air in the third quarter of the Feb. 4 game on NBC. That is 12 days before the Marvel film, "Black Panther," hits theaters. The film tells the story of T'Challa, aka the Black Panther, as he returns home to an isolated, technologically advanced African nation to succeed his father as king.

The Super Bowl ad, called "Long Live the King," includes footage from the film, which stars Chadwick Boseman. Lexus has product placement in the actual movie with another model, the 2018 Lexus LC 500 luxury performance coupe. The LS is not in the movie, so the ad includes specially shot footage. The spot shows the Black Panther recovering stolen vibranium, a mythical ore found only in his African home, Wakanda. The ad's soundtrack is "Legend Has It" by Run the Jewels. It was directed by Samuel Bayer and shot in downtown Los Angeles at night.

Lexus earlier this week released a separate co-branded spot with Marvel that plugs the film and the LC. The Lexus-Marvel collaboration also includes a graphic novel called "Black Panther: Soul of a Machine" that was released last year at Comic-Con.

Super Bowl ads with superhero tie-ins are not new, of course. Marvel joined with Coke in 2016, for instance, in a spot that used Hulk and Ant-Man. And in 2005 Visa ran a spot featuring Captain America, Spider-Man and Thor.

The trick for brands is to make sure that the superheros don't overshadow their products. Ericksen says Lexus ensured the car was integral to the ad. The spot showcases the car's handling dynamics, for instance, he says. "There will be some people that see that ad and may think more Black Panther than Lexus," he concedes. "But I think on whole we are going to open up the Lexus LS to a massive amount of people that wouldn't have normally come across the LS."

Last edited by GS69; 01-26-18 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-26-18, 04:48 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

In before those that will be offended
Old 01-26-18, 05:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Very nice ad for the Super Bowl. I like how it’s tied in with Marvel.

I must admit, it is a pretty cool experience in that it is amazing where Lexus is now compared to where they were a 5-10 years ago with their design of cars and how their marketing is evolving.

Lexus is really trying to transform themselves. ❤️It

Even more interesting is the Toyota brand will have 10 advertisements that will not feature a single car in their ad. Goes to show you how strong the brand is. Apparently Toyota will have the first ad after kickoff.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-26-18 at 05:16 AM.
Old 01-26-18, 06:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Those had BETTER be good ads, considering what they cost. Last year, Super Bowl sponsors paid an average of $5 million dollars for a 30-second spot (that's over $166,000 a second).....might be even more this time, although, because of the flag/national anthem controversy, NFL ratings are down the year, and Super Bowl viewership might not be quite what it has been in the past.
Old 01-26-18, 09:54 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The 5.0 really rips!
Old 01-26-18, 10:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
In before those that will be offended
why would anyone be offended?
Old 01-26-18, 02:25 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Gonna pass on Superbowl this time. Overhyped.
Old 01-26-18, 04:08 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Man, just when I sold my RC F 'cause I had no use for a 2-door RWD performance car... and now I want an LC... LOL

The ad works!
Old 01-26-18, 06:53 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you plan on marketing a $100K car to people who read comic books and go to super hero CGI movies or comic cons, it's a great ad. But in general, like a lot of Super Bowl ads - it will soon recede into the memory of the movie that forms the backdrop.

The movie is nothing more than another of Hollywood's predictable stock blockbuster openers for the new year. A lot riding on it, so it will basically mean: if the movie is a success, then the ad will be considered a success. Movie flops, then the ad goes down with it because it's not that creative other than the CGI and stock predictable characters with thick African accents.

The best ads in general, and the best Super Bowl ads are always very human vs cold or soulless marketing devices. Does anyone even remember the best ads from Super Bowl LI or L? Without Googling? Yep, that's how short our collective memory is. It's just a fast food mc-ad age now. These ads get overhyped because someone realized that talking about ads is a form of advertising. Who were the performers of the halftime show at Super Bowl in 2016, 2017? See, you have to Google to look it up.

Memorable ads kinda stick with you, year after year. Trendy ads don't. The ad is slick and well produced, but I'd say Lexus wants African people to buy LCs and LS vehicles.

The best ads use creative minds to go against conventional wisdom and reverse a group think mindset that is the basis of most badly done commercial advertising. Paying $7.7M is a Toyota/Lexus decision and that of their ad agency, but boy what a gamble.

Last edited by MattyG; 01-26-18 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-26-18, 10:30 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Another massive fail by the Lexus ad agency.
Old 01-28-18, 10:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Memorable ads kinda stick with you, year after year. Trendy ads don't. The ad is slick and well produced, but I'd say Lexus wants African people to buy LCs and LS vehicles.
really... really?
Old 01-28-18, 10:47 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
really... really?
Let me add one more - Really?
Old 01-28-18, 03:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Just watched the Lexus F Soort LS super bowl. I like it. It’s exciting and interesting and they are not trying to appeal to old foggies
Old 01-28-18, 03:32 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Let me add one more - Really?
hey, I was born in Africa, I'm not black but whatever, and I agree. REALLY? Just because it's tied in with an African themed comic? Is that the explanation for Amazon's product placement in Wonder Woman? Or was it just what it was a marketing tie in?
Old 01-28-18, 03:52 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
hey, I was born in Africa, I'm not black but whatever, and I agree. REALLY? Just because it's tied in with an African themed comic? Is that the explanation for Amazon's product placement in Wonder Woman? Or was it just what it was a marketing tie in?
Can't WAIT to hear this explanation lol

Quick Reply: 2018 Lexus SuperBowl Ad