Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Genesis G70

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-18, 05:52 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Wow that looks great and the interior is really nice!

Once the Genesis coupe and the SUVs come, i think sales will really take off.
G80 and G90 already outsell their Lexus competitors.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 01-23-18 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-23-18, 06:15 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

WOW...I really like that. Want to see the size in person, but it is a good looking car. Love the interior.
Old 01-23-18, 08:26 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Please, not another Lexus grill discussion...

About the G70 and Stinger.

I wish I could put the G70 interior with the Stinger exterior. I'm not overly thrilled with the G70 exterior design, but the interior and engine choices are great. I have been considering a Stinger, but am having a hard time getting over the dash design, which is not to my taste at all.
Old 01-23-18, 09:15 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Does anyone know when the G70 will be available in the US?
Old 01-23-18, 10:12 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Does anyone know when the G70 will be available in the US?
The latest I heard was this April.
Old 01-23-18, 01:55 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The interior design seems a bit boring compared to the Germans, but I can't say for sure until I sit in a G70. Like the Lexus IS, it's too much on the sport/boy racer spectrum rather than exuding a blend of sport and luxury the way the Germans do.
Old 01-23-18, 03:39 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I didn’t take any photos. But husband did.
That back seat is REALLY roomy!
Old 01-23-18, 05:39 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That interior really looks good. Genesis certainly knows how to trim out their cars. I find the front overhang on the G70 is a little bit too much for a rwd car, and the styling needs to be upped at some point, but still a good looking car in the deep red.
Old 01-24-18, 07:12 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
or a Q50, or an A4, and on and on...
perhaps for better performance, handling, or efficiency? be careful of crowning something that isn't even for sale yet (cough, cough, Samsung Galaxy S7)

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
While I was not blown away like OMG
no, that came next door at the Abercrombie and Fitch i'm sure
Old 01-25-18, 09:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

The showcase in the mall...really smart IMHO.

Money is all relative, the question isn't so much how do you get buyers AWAY from MB and BMW and Lexus, but how do you keep buyers from going there in the first place.

If I were coming up today, and looking to buy what I bought say in 2003, my ES300. Might I have chosen a G80 instead? I'm not already a Lexus customer, I had Lexus experience via my Dad, but it would have been easier to sway me then than it is now, that I'm more invested in the brand and more comfortable with the brand. Take my Dad, he was somebody who never owned the same type of car twice really, until he got his Lexus, and he replaced it with another Lexus. He had a Chrysler, and then a Lincoln, and then a Cadillac. He decided he really wanted a flagship, RWD, foreign proper luxury product and at that point shopped Lexus, BMW and Mercedes and settled on Lexus largely because of the value aspect. Once Lexus had him, atypically for him he bought another Lexus afterwards.

From what I see around dealerships most people do in fact come to a luxury brand and keep buying products from that brand. I find I'm that way about cars, as much as I try to like and take the jump to move, the Lexus is comfortable for me and I know the experience I'm going to get for my large amount of money, so its hard for me to switch. I'd hate to be spending $1,400 a month on a Mercedes and be unhappy for instance. Mainstream cars, I switch brands without a thought because the barrier of entry is low enough I can roll the dice. Most people who I see in Lexus dealers are trading either mainstream cars, stepping into a Lexus, or trading older Lexus cars. I see the same at MB and BMW and Audi.

IMHO the goal for Genesis should be, capture those people when they enter the luxury space and try and keep them from ever buying a Lexus or MB or BMW or whatever in the first place.

I find I'm that way with luxury items. I buy Allen Edmonds shoes. Hickey Freeman suits and dress slacks. Ralph Lauren or Faconnable dress shirts. I like how they fit, look, the quality. Who wants to spend $200 on a shirt and hate wearing it? Or $400 on a pair of shoes and hate wearing them? Or $1,400 for a suit that never seems to fit or feel right? I can throw $30 away on a casual shirt if I don't like it, but if I spend $200 on a luxury dress shirt I feel compelled to keep it and wear it if I don't like it. But something made me buy that first Lexus, that first pair of Allen Edmonds shoes, that first Hickey Freeman suit, and first Ralph Lauren shirt...and the experience I had with it was so much better than what I had previously I stuck with it. Thats what Genesis needs to figure out how to get, that first luxury purchase.

Thats what Lexus did, remember the LS400 went from $40,000 to $60,000 in 5 years. Thats a huge run up in cost, but they had the base and the increase in price raised their profile. Yes Lexus got some people out of BMW and MB in the early 90s, but lets be honest, they also attracted people who couldn't afford a BMW or MB either, but the Lexus offered what they liked about those cars at a price they could swing. Genesis can do that too, I can buy a flagship car for what a midsize Lexus, BMW or MB costs. I can buy a midsize luxury sedan for what a 3 Series would cost, etc. I can buy a compact entry luxury sedan for what my Camry costs...so on and so forth.

Using my Dad again, in 1990 he purchased a $35,000 Lincoln Continental. What he wanted was a 1990 LS400, but he was concerned about driving a foreign car in his industry. He could never have afforded at that time a BMW or MB comparable to the LS400. In 1995 he bought a $50,000 Cadillac STS, again avoiding the 95 LS400 for that reason. Finally in 1998 he said screw it and got the LS400. Well, when he got to where he could afford a flagship MB or BMW, he bought another Lexus because Lexus had him. We sat right there in the MB dealer and the BMW dealer and the Audi dealer in 2004, and he came to the conclusion he just didn't have the confidence he would like those cars as much or more than another Lexus. I find I go through the same thing when I'm in the same spot now, and I think its more common than you may think.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-25-18 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-25-18, 09:19 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm looking forward to seeing the G70 in person. From the pictures, I prefer the understated looks vs. the Stinger, but both are VERY nice and I'd drive either one (I think).
Old 01-25-18, 09:27 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
WOW...I really like that. Want to see the size in person, but it is a good looking car. Love the interior.
I agree
I wasn't too impressed seeing the press pictures when it was released, must be the showroom effect
Old 01-25-18, 10:01 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

nice picture of the car in the showroom.. worthy of a test drive....

I think if the G80 had a Lexus badge on it, I would've gotten it instead of my GS..
Old 01-25-18, 12:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
I think if the G80 had a Lexus badge on it, I would've gotten it instead of my GS..
See....that, right there, is the problem. Too many car-buyers let badges influence them. I'm not necessarily saying you did so yourself....the G80 might not have been available when you bought your GS (although, of course, the same vehicle was sold earlier as the Hyundai Genesis). But too many people, for no really good reason (just simple brand-bias) discount vehicles just because of what logo is on the hood or trunk. By doing so, they often can be short-changing themselves.
Old 01-25-18, 12:50 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
See....that, right there, is the problem. Too many car-buyers let badges influence them. I'm not necessarily saying you did so yourself....the G80 might not have been available when you bought your GS (although, of course, the same vehicle was sold earlier as the Hyundai Genesis). But too many people, for no really good reason (just simple brand-bias) discount vehicles just because of what logo is on the hood or trunk. By doing so, they often can be short-changing themselves.
everyone that drives a Lexus is some % badge shopping.. whether it be 1% or 99%..

Reason for not getting the Genesis: The price/incentives were not as good as the GS.. Genesis would've been couple of $k more.
I am going to check out a Volvo and Jaguar in few months since they are offering some KILLER conquest/competitor lease incentives. This is how you steal competitors' customers.

G80 leases for more than a GS350.. right now.. why would ANYONE even LOOK at a Hyundai/Genesis, when the equivalent Toyota/Lexus is CHEAPER?
Only way I am going to check out a G70 is if it leases for LESS than a Q50.. not even the same, I mean LESS.
I will not even walk within 5 blocks of Chevy/Chrysler dealership until they build a car GROUND-up.. every time I get into a rental, I realize that parts from the old-gen are being used in the new model.
I can't figure out why Chevy uses that ugly gauge needles/color/lighting etc.. it's that same crappy perfect circle with green like lighting in the back..

Quick Reply: 2019 Genesis G70