Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car Play, Android Auto, Built in infotainment

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-18, 10:41 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
My thoughts exactly.

Are those the headlights or just the daytime running lights? I thought the headlights were those recessed units that look like foglights.
Hmm, now I don't know. Seems too low to be a low-beam but I could be wrong.
Old 09-28-18, 12:00 PM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
nitro, with all due respect, moderators allow a lot of leeway about threads going on and off topic, but you already started another thread about apple carplay and android auto vs built in infotainment systems, and i just put some 'relevant' content there.

the whole digression here about audi virtual cockpit had nothing to do with the subject, and this thread also became a debate about the features and value of AA/AC in general, and i think what has been said is plenty. if there's a different topic you see a need to discuss, start a thread about it.

we merge threads with similar topics, and we try to keep threads in general on topic.

all that aside, this thread is about toyota/lexus adoption (or not) of AA/AC.

if you have any further issue, take it to pm with me or another moderator.

thank you.
Are you able to merge the relevant pages over to the new thread? Without them, that new thread is DOA bc it has no context. I guess what Im saying is, if you want to separate CP/AA vs Infotainment and Toyota/Lexus + SmartPhones, then you should physically do that.

As far as going off topic, I think it's clear who needs to truncate their posts a bit. They are all over the place.
Old 09-28-18, 12:54 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Toyo/Lexus are playing catchup in alot of departments as usual. The slow rollout of new infotainment not only product wise, but training wise. Not that I can confirm this over one dealership, but stopped by an out of state dealership to check out the ES they got, and the dealership "Tech expert (his job is not to sell, but rather explain all of the fts" knew nothing of how the Rollout is going to occur, will it be OTA on existing models, or ship from factory after a certain build date etc. No info on the point person. I hope to speak to some contacts soon about what the details are, but this is just a press release thus far.

Sidenote: BMW is master of marketing and upcharging everything, heck if they could charge for new car smell.. without making customers feel they are OVERCHARGING Porsche Style. The CarPlay is bank for them for years to come.

In regards to CP/AA I think, my 2 cents on the matter is its quite apparent the "infotainment" side of the majority of automakers is severely lacking, and this is after sitting in basically everything from Sensus to Idrive to MMI. I think what everyone wants in a vehicle is a natural extension of what they get in their smartphone, so automakers have been trying level best to design infotainment UIs to satisfy that want and also add in the CP/AA to feel complete.

All I really want are the basics...

1) Instrument cluster with 3 groups of info. Navigation from a Phone driven app so maps and data are actually up to date, Safety systems statuses and Car Centric Info (including elimination of Check engine light with an actual message of what the problem is and whether its safe to drive).
2) Center stack with Carplay and Android Auto (or even a opensource audio module) spitting out directions and app/hddmusic (FM/AM support)
3) Another good old center row of old school temperature control for seats hvac etc.
4) Hardware that isnt the equivalent of a pentium 3 with 128mb of ram and 64 mb of GPU.

Thats it....I dont need them to make me feel like a special teapot with their SUPER UBER NATURAL AI ENCHANCED HAPTIC DRIVEN system etc.

Investing in form over function is best left to Ikea or such.

Last edited by coolsaber; 09-28-18 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-28-18, 01:00 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nitroracer
Migrated from this thread.
If Carplay or AA can incorporate AM/FM/XM I think I`d be down for letting go of the audio part of any regular infotainemtn system.
Old 09-28-18, 01:20 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Sidenote: BMW is master of marketing and upcharging everything, heck if they could charge for new car smell.. without making customers feel they are OVERCHARGING Porsche Style. The CarPlay is bank for them for years to come.
With people owning cars with less than 3-4 years, BMW will not be banking on Car Play for years to come. They are banking on people switching cars often. BMW is most often times the most leased vehicle. There is no point in selling Apple Car Play to their costumers when iDrive is vastly superior and people not owning their BMW for more than 3 years. So they offer a subscription for the people that really want it. In fact - a person owning a BMW for 3-4 years and subscribing to Apple Car Play will net save money than buying Apple Car Play.

Side note: I think, internally, you have BMW reviewing that majority of their owners don't really use Apple Car Play or package their car with it. (BimmerPost reflects this narrative as well).
If people demands Apple Car Play from BMW, they would have caved and made it standard like MB or Audi or risk losing business to them.
If people demands more phone mirroring, BMW would have caved and offer Android Auto like MB or Audi too or risk losing business to them.
BMW knows their base.

Last edited by BippuLexus; 09-28-18 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-28-18, 01:29 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 477 Likes on 299 Posts

Per ConnectedDrive, the "expiration date" for the CarPlay subscription on my 2018 X5 is 2038 haha. I do agree the "fee" from 2019 on for some models is gouging. Chances are I won't have this vehicle in 2038, but to put some minds at ease I can at least confirm that it's not leased
Old 09-28-18, 01:34 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
With people owning cars with less than 3-4 years, BMW will not be banking on Car Play for years to come. They are banking on people switching cars often. BMW is most often times the most leased vehicle. There is no point in selling Apple Car Play to their costumers when iDrive is vastly superior and people not owning their BMW for more than 3 years. So they offer a subscription for the people that really want it. In fact - a person owning a BMW for 3-4 years and subscribing to Apple Car Play will net save money than buying Apple Car Play.

Side note: I think, internally, you have BMW reviewing that majority of their owners don't really use Apple Car Play or package their car with it. (BimmerPost reflects this narrative as well).
If people demands Apple Car Play from BMW, they would have caved and made it standard like MB or Audi or risk losing business to them.
If people demands more phone mirroring, BMW would have caved and offer Android Auto like MB or Audi too or risk losing business to them.
BMW knows their base.
and/Or they just opened a new door to keep their existing vehicles as money makers.

1st owner gets a yr off free service to try it out, decides year 2 i`ll renew it since its $60 less then before for the course of the lease==== $240 made at a cost of $60
2nd owner/CPO gets a used vehicle, decides my car might be old, but heck I can still keep my infotainment upto date by simply paying for the service.
he or she pays for for say 3 years. They make $ $240 additional dollars which they never did before....
Now multiply that by their sales numbers.....

Not only that, one more reason attractive option to drive the ultimate driving machine.

Old 09-28-18, 01:43 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

and/Or they just opened a new door to keep their existing vehicles as money makers.

1st owner gets a yr off free service to try it out, decides year 2 i`ll renew it since its $60 less then before for the course of the lease==== $240 made at a cost of $60
2nd owner/CPO gets a used vehicle, decides my car might be old, but heck I can still keep my infotainment upto date by simply paying for the service.
he or she pays for for say 3 years. They make $ $240 additional dollars which they never did before....
Now multiply that by their sales numbers.....

Not only that, one more reason attractive option to drive the ultimate driving machine.
I mean - I agree - Apple Car Play can be seen as a huge deal when the car gets old. But doesn't mean the car would be worth less value if you have to subscribe to Apple Car Play on the side? Chances are you can probably save some money during the initial CPO purchase to spend on Apple Car Play.

Besides - in my opinion - if you buy a 2nd hand BMW, you deserve to get hosed. Lol. I would never buy a BMW 2nd hand.
Old 09-28-18, 01:44 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

If Carplay or AA can incorporate AM/FM/XM I think I`d be down for letting go of the audio part of any regular infotainemtn system.
How about one of the three? The audio quality of XM streamed to their app is dramatically higher than what comes down from the satellite. I know folks that have a paid XM subscription in their car, but use either the app on their phone, or an Echo Dot plugged into the aux input to listen instead of the actual satellite receiver due to this.
Old 09-28-18, 02:52 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
As a G90 owner shouldn't they have brought you at least a G80 and not a low spec Hyundai? Genesis is supposed to be distancing themselves from the plebeian family tree.

The headlights on that new Santa Fe are so thin. Kinda cool
While researching the Genesis G90 I learned that some dealerships are short on Genesis loaners as well as new car inventory on the three models. Maybe that's what happened here? It sounds like new car deliveries have been restricted while Hyundai gets Genesis dealers licensed, agreements signed and on board. Dealers around me have very limited inventory and some only have one or two cars of each model.
Old 09-28-18, 03:07 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexBob2
While researching the Genesis G90 I learned that some dealerships are short on Genesis loaners as well as new car inventory on the three models. Maybe that's what happened here? It sounds like new car deliveries have been restricted while Hyundai gets Genesis dealers licensed, agreements signed and on board. Dealers around me have very limited inventory and some only have one or two cars of each model.
Makes sense, I don't doubt that's likely the issue. I just think Genesis should be prepared more with extra inventory for things like maintenance. Especially since they make such a big deal about coming to you etc.. perfect time to have some G70s and get them out to the public. The silver-lining I guess as Bit mentioned is he got to try the newest CP/AA/PI in the Hyundai Family which will be part of Genesis models in the near future or at least the latest versions.
Old 09-28-18, 03:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

As a G90 owner shouldn't they have brought you at least a G80 and not a low spec Hyundai? Genesis is supposed to be distancing themselves from the plebeian family tree.
i'm no snob and couldn't care less for a few hours and i look at it as fun to play with a 'plebeian' model. I did get a g80 when i did it before for a tire replacement that wouldn't balance right and that was fun. This time they told me they had limited genesis loaners and would i be ok with a hyundai and i said sure.

Originally Posted by Sulu
My thoughts exactly.
figures.

Makes sense, I don't doubt that's likely the issue. I just think Genesis should be prepared more with extra inventory for things like maintenance. Especially since they make such a big deal about coming to you etc.. perfect time to have some G70s and get them out to the public.
G70 would be great but it's only just become available in the u.s. i believe. Plus in general the loaner idea doesn't scale to be feasible to have luxury cars for every service. Either way, worked out great. I saw the pickup and drop off guy for probably 10 mins tops and worked in my office the rest... so much better than any dealer.

The silver-lining I guess as Bit mentioned is he got to try the newest CP/AA/PI in the Hyundai Family which will be part of Genesis models in the near future or at least the latest versions.
Yes and cp/aa already on g80 and g70.
Old 09-28-18, 03:46 PM
Hoovey689

i'm no snob and couldn't care less for a few hours and i look at it as fun to play with a 'plebeian' model. I did get a g80 when i did it before for a tire replacement that wouldn't balance right and that was fun. This time they told me they had limited genesis loaners and would i be ok with a hyundai and i said sure.

Didn't say you were. Well at least they asked you.

G70 would be great but it's only just become available in the u.s. i believe. Plus in general the loaner idea doesn't scale to be feasible to have luxury cars for every service. Either way, worked out great. I saw the pickup and drop off guy for probably 10 mins tops and worked in my office the rest... so much better than any dealer.
With as small as Genesis is right now, and as large as parent Hyundai's coffers are, they should be able to service all their Genesis models or at least the G90s. These are supposed to be 7-Series caliber. Similar to Lexus with the original LS400, and how they handled a defect on several models but did all of them and went above and beyond what was expected.
Old 09-28-18, 03:50 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
I mean - I agree - Apple Car Play can be seen as a huge deal when the car gets old. But doesn't mean the car would be worth less value if you have to subscribe to Apple Car Play on the side? Chances are you can probably save some money during the initial CPO purchase to spend on Apple Car Play.

Besides - in my opinion - if you buy a 2nd hand BMW, you deserve to get hosed. Lol. I would never buy a BMW 2nd hand.
For a person buying new, drop in the bucket, probably might get more adopters since "FREE TRIAL" gives buyers an actual chance to use the system and actually figure it whether its right for them or not.
For a person buying used/CPO its "added perceived value mixed in with actual value". First off getting an upgrade on todays infotainment systems aftermarket isnt as simple as going to a MNC and picking up that neon backlit pioneer headunit and installing. Vehicle modules use the headunit to communicate etc. Even if you pick up a newer comparable headunit (Not talking about the VTEC BOSS $20 single din unit), its $300 without install. So for an third option of paying $80 bucks a year for a car that probably will only last 3-4 more years outside of warranty its a steal for both BMW and their customers.

Even Lexus, a vehicle we community wise agree if taken care of normally, would outlast the warranty 2x, would benefit from a system that only needs a smartphone to give their existing infotainment an extended useable life span. And I Know thats something no current infotainment system can do so deeply integrated without a system like carplay or android auto.

Sorry for continuing the same tangential side topic
Old 09-29-18, 12:04 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I hope this question can be considered on topic but regarding Toyota's decision to fully integrate the Android Auto OS into their future infotainment systems (as they did with iOS) and after Porsche's rejection of Google's AA over a dispute about just how much OBD2 CAN-BUS data that AA seems to want to use... I am wondering two things for future Toyota's that have AA integrated:

1) If I simply never set up AA will there be no active cellular data connection capable of using my vehicle's OBD2 CAN-BUS data in the first place?

2) How, if at all, can we modify, disable or hack our AA integrated head units so as to deny access to vehicle OBD2 CAN-BUS data streams? Or would this simply be a non-issue if we just don't connect the service to our cellular phones in the first place?

I love the features these systems potentially offer but I am not interested in Google accessing my vehicle's engine/driveline/speed sensor related OBD2 data.

Apologies if these thoughts and questions are too far off from the original intent of this thread.

Quick Reply: Car Play, Android Auto, Built in infotainment