Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car Play, Android Auto, Built in infotainment

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-18, 03:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Car Play, Android Auto, Built in infotainment

Hollis told Automotive News that CarPlay and Amazon's Alexa voice assistant will be standard on the Avalon and future Toyota vehicles. Android Auto — for smartphones using Google software — will be next.

"Clearly CarPlay, and really any integration of technology, needs to occur in our vehicles," he said. "We start with it today."

Toyota's luxury division, Lexus, confirmed that Alexa would be integrated into its vehicles, but not CarPlay or Android Auto yet.

Hollis said the Apple and Android capability would be retrofitted onto older Toyota models, but that it would take time.

Michael Ramsey, an analyst at the Gartner consultancy, said Toyota's low-key rollout of smartphone integration is likely the result of an internal debate over sharing customer data with the tech giants.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2018...arplay-detroit

Pretty awesome if they update old cars with it!
Old 01-22-18, 03:39 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

It will depend on the version of entune in the car. I read MY2016 as the cut off point. That also means Canadians get the shaft again as we didn,t get entune until 2018 with the new Camry.
Old 01-22-18, 04:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

the quote "Hollis said the Apple and Android capability would be retrofitted onto older Toyota models," doesn't necessarily mean it will be available to owners of older vehicles. it could just mean they'll make it available on new year versions of models that have been around for a few years. but hopefully it does mean it will be available to cars already on the road but i highly doubt it.
Old 01-22-18, 04:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
It will depend on the version of entune in the car. I read MY2016 as the cut off point. That also means Canadians get the shaft again as we didn,t get entune until 2018 with the new Camry.
New Avalon has car play for US models only.
Old 01-22-18, 04:29 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The quote here implies it will be a while, if ever:

Lexus parent company Toyota...has confirmed to Apple website MacRumors that pre-2019 vehicles will not be upgraded “at this time”.
https://lexusenthusiast.com/2018/01/...exus-vehicles/
Old 01-22-18, 04:44 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing to remember is that in order to use Carplay you plug in your iPhone via usb. This is what the talk is about. There is nothing that ever stopped Lexus/Toyota owners from switching head units to do just that. So the thing about why and why not is just about convenience. Guess that's the generation of owners who grew up glued to a screen of one sort or the other.

In order to use this, you are hardwired to your smartphone 24/7. Toyota had legitimate concerns about privacy and so this is just an incremental step. So you want a touchscreen and instant messaging in your car all the time? Then why bother driving? Just use a self driving car and forget about all the ancillary stuff.

At this point, why have a car with a steering wheel?
Old 01-22-18, 05:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by My0gr81
where did you read about MY2016? That would be Entune 2.0 I guess.
Old 01-22-18, 05:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the quote "Hollis said the Apple and Android capability would be retrofitted onto older Toyota models," doesn't necessarily mean it will be available to owners of older vehicles. it could just mean they'll make it available on new year versions of models that have been around for a few years. but hopefully it does mean it will be available to cars already on the road but i highly doubt it.
i understand what you mean - but they usually refer to these as "new models" when they have facelifts, when new MY appears, etc, thats given that Entune 3.0 is going at new MY of most of their vehicles.

They also specifically dont want to confirm when it might happen because then if it doesnt for whatever reason, there will be an outrage.. so I bet they will be vague about it until it is done.
Old 01-22-18, 05:50 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where did you read about MY2016? That would be Entune 2.0 I guess.
I was looking around for information on the Camry XSE and XSE V6 that replaces gps scout link with built in nav. It was on part of an FAQ that talked about compatibility between the various versions and which ones can work with carplay, that require the USB connection AND BT Low Power Profile together. I tried looking for it again, no luck, will update if I find it.

update: interestingly, MY2016 is also the year that Toyota introduced Telenav and Scout GPS as their "connected" gps solution and Scout GPS Link as their in car Search connectivity solution.

Last edited by My0gr81; 01-22-18 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-22-18, 06:44 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

As long as your hvac system isnt routed through the headunit, I dont know why you`d wait for Toyota to get the ball moving, since they have no incentive to really rapidly update their existing HUs/retrofit. Jump on a newer headunit with plenty is a better option. Lexus monikers however basically are kinda of stuck since most of the headunits integrate functions and/or more importatnly which reputable HU company makes headunits that are drop and play into existing nav pods. Anything with a remote touch has a floating screen on top, or a nav pod which would require quite a bit of DIY
Old 05-28-18, 01:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Lexus has announced that some 2015, and all 2016, 2017, and 2018 models have been updated to work with Alexa... you can turn on/off, lock and check fuel via Alexa.

taken from LE:

The Amazon Alexa cloud-based voice service is now able to interface directly with Lexus vehicles, with commands to start or stop the engine, lock/unlock the doors, and check vehicle fuel level.

This service is available on select 2015 model year vehicles (IS, ES, GS, LS, RC, NX) and all 2016, 2017, & 2018 model year vehicles excluding the CT 200h without navigation. An active Lexus Enform Remote subscription is also required.
https://lexusenthusiast.com/2018/05/...oice-commands/

I think it is cool that it is added to older vehicles...
Old 05-28-18, 01:52 PM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

don't be existing too early, unless old car are running same platform and architecture,
Old 05-29-18, 07:47 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Looking forward to updating our RX!
Old 05-30-18, 12:43 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
One thing to remember is that in order to use Carplay you plug in your iPhone via usb. This is what the talk is about. There is nothing that ever stopped Lexus/Toyota owners from switching head units to do just that. So the thing about why and why not is just about convenience. Guess that's the generation of owners who grew up glued to a screen of one sort or the other.

In order to use this, you are hardwired to your smartphone 24/7. Toyota had legitimate concerns about privacy and so this is just an incremental step. So you want a touchscreen and instant messaging in your car all the time? Then why bother driving? Just use a self driving car and forget about all the ancillary stuff.

At this point, why have a car with a steering wheel?
I feel the same way... I really don't see a point Apple/Android car play. Its just a mirroring system that copies your phone to your navigation screen. Like you said, its literally for the phone that are glued to their phones.

In my opinion - the only reason you would really use Apple/Android car play is if your car doesn't come with navigation. I mean - that's the only reason I used it on my Camaro SS rental because I needed a navigation. People always use the excuse of apple car play being "better" than the standard system. Apple Car play can be on its 10th verison and it won't be better than BMW's iDrive or MB's MBUX system. Specifically for Lexus - Apple Car play (Apple Maps) will never be better than the Lexus Navigation.

Lexus should take a page out of BMW/MB/Porsche books. Make people pay for Apple/Android car play. That way the base cost don't increase while giving options to the fools that want it. I would never pay for Apple car play. If it came standard with it, I would never touch it either.

Originally Posted by jwong77
Looking forward to updating our RX!
I don't think RX will get the update. The RX runs enform 1.0 - only 2.0 with touchpad gets update. I personally wouldn't worry about it. If you have the Lexus navigation, you are better off with that than the Apple Maps from Apple Car play.
Old 05-30-18, 02:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
I don't think RX will get the update. The RX runs enform 1.0 - only 2.0 with touchpad gets update. I personally wouldn't worry about it. If you have the Lexus navigation, you are better off with that than the Apple Maps from Apple Car play.
Update to the thread was about Alexa, it was added to some 2015 and then to all 2016, 2017 and 2018 vehicles.

Quick Reply: Car Play, Android Auto, Built in infotainment