Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Your thoughts - Civic & Accord

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-18, 06:33 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Your thoughts - Civic & Accord

Hi all,

Looking to get a DD to deal with Dallas rush-hour commute (~1 hour 1-way) and looking specifically for all-speed cruise control with the ability to resume from a full-stop, useful for the commute.

I think I've finalized it down to a Civic EX-T (with the 1.5L Turbo with Honda Sensing) & Accord EX (same 1.5L Turbo), there is a ~$4k difference between the two.

Civic EX-T is ~$21k before TTL, the Accord $25k before TTL. Based on common sense (I have 3 kids but they'll rarely be in the vehicle, wife's car is the family car), the Civic should be the choice to save $4k, but the Accord is a superior car with ANC (active noise cancellation).

Thoughts? Go the logical route and save $$ with the Civic, or splurge a little for the potentially better ride in the Accord?

Open to other thoughts as well - the sedans under $25k that have full speed adaptive cruise control aren't many (i.e. Camry LE's and Corolla's only work above 25mph)...
Old 01-21-18, 06:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

If you can easily afford the extra 4K, you will probably find the Accord a little nicer for those extended commutes each day, considering that you are going to be spending a lot of time in the car. Neither one, though, is likely to give you a ride as quiet as, say, a traditional Lexus, Buick, Cadillac, or Lincoln, as Honda is not particularly known for effective road-noise isolation. Tires, of course, can also make a difference.
Old 01-21-18, 06:58 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My sister and brother in law have a Civic. My brother in law basically likes it as his daily but wishes he’d have sprung for something nicer. My sister does not like it. She thinks it’s too low and she hates the map interface (CarPlay).

I’d still choose a Civic over most others in that class.

I personally dont don’t care for the new Accord so I would not consider one, though I REALLY liked the previous Accord gen.
Old 01-21-18, 07:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I agree with others.

The Civic is the best in the class. If I could of got the new Civic I would of back in 2014, however it was not available as the Corolla at the time was brand new and fresh.

You up will be very happy with the gas mileage.
Old 01-21-18, 07:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

i'd go for the accord... it will be quieter and ride nicer and i'd always want the nicest, quietest ride possible on 2hrs of commuting a day!
Old 01-21-18, 07:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'd go for the accord... it will be quieter and ride nicer and i'd always want the nicest, quietest ride possible on 2hrs of commuting a day!
I do agree. But I think it is a lot more money features for features.
Old 01-21-18, 08:01 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go for the Accord. If leasing that $4k would be about $40 a month difference over 4years and if buying, it will be recouped at resale.
Old 01-21-18, 08:25 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The Accord is greater than a Civic in nearly all ways. If you want the size and can afford the difference in price, go for it. If the last two things don't matter to you, then save the cash and do the Civic. Both will get the job done. I personally dislike dumpy/squashed-butt cars, but that's purely a subjective thing.
Old 01-21-18, 08:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I do agree. But I think it is a lot more money features for features.
4 yrs, 250 days a year, is 1000 commutes. The $4k is then $4/commute, or $2 ea. way, a no brainer.
Old 01-21-18, 08:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

If it's really about saving money, buy a used corolla and save even more.
Old 01-22-18, 05:10 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Honestly, and I have never owned a Honda product, and have only owned a Toyota product 15 mos. There's really no way to go wrong with an Accord. Many of us don't like the looks, but there's nothing wrong with the car itself. And it can be had with a manual, which if you buy that car, just imagine how many years of pleasure that's going to give you, when almost every car today only comes in an automatic. If you've already narrowed it down and Accord is one of your finalists, I say get it. At the end of the day, the only possible negative is the looks, not the underpinnings of the car itself...
Old 01-22-18, 05:50 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

I would chose the Accord, mainly because I couldn't fit in a Civic.
Old 01-22-18, 06:40 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Honestly, and I have never owned a Honda product, and have only owned a Toyota product 15 mos. There's really no way to go wrong with an Accord. Many of us don't like the looks, but there's nothing wrong with the car itself. And it can be had with a manual, which if you buy that car, just imagine how many years of pleasure that's going to give you, when almost every car today only comes in an automatic. If you've already narrowed it down and Accord is one of your finalists, I say get it. At the end of the day, the only possible negative is the looks, not the underpinnings of the car itself...
If the manual was the requirement, I'd take the Mazda 6 over the Accord. The Mazda is so much better looking.
Old 01-22-18, 09:15 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The Accord is greater than a Civic in nearly all ways. If you want the size and can afford the difference in price, go for it. If the last two things don't matter to you, then save the cash and do the Civic. Both will get the job done. I personally dislike dumpy/squashed-butt cars, but that's purely a subjective thing.
I agree. Honestly, I don't really understand the question. If the comparison was a Civic Touring (or whatever the top level Civic is these days) vs Accord LX, then I get it. But if you are willing to spend the extra money, then you should move up a class IMO.
Old 01-22-18, 09:29 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I agree. Honestly, I don't really understand the question. If the comparison was a Civic Touring (or whatever the top level Civic is these days) vs Accord LX, then I get it. But if you are willing to spend the extra money, then you should move up a class IMO.
I think the question is ok, since people here have a lot of knowledge about the car market....if there were something wrong with either car, that would help to steer the OP into the other choice.

My dad was interested in Civic just because he plain liked it, but Honda was so rude and they dishonored the edmunds price he printed, so he didn't get it. At the time (2016 model), though, CR didn't consider it reliable. I never found out why, as I do not subscribe. Maybe it was electronics or something?

As far as the $4k delta, imho it's worth it, but all of our situations are different. $4k to me is not $4k to you. When I got my 335i, I was comparing it to the G35S sedan, and the delta was $8,100. I lost sleep over it, this was A LOT of money to me, back then. But I went with the 335i and never looked back. I think the Accord is also worthy of $4k more, imho...

Quick Reply: Your thoughts - Civic & Accord