Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus keyfob is a usless junk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-18, 06:17 PM
mssca
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Angry Lexus keyfob is a usless junk?

According this article, https://www.clublexus.com/articles/s...lexus-st-paul/
"..... that’s when 17-year-oldParker Steven LaFromboise jumped into Turner’s Lexus and sped out of the parking lot. A confused and understandably upset Turner was left holding the Lexus’ key fob. "

So what the point of having a key fob? If I am close to the vehicle (I have a 2017 RX 350) and a thief also get close to the vehicle, the criminal can open the door and drive it off even though I am standing OUTSIDE the Lexus? In other words, I just walk up to a random Lexus and as long as the owner of that vehicle is nearby, I can drive off?

If this is true, what a stupid design. There should be a lawsuit against all car manufactures if someone can drive off with your vehicle while the key is not even inside the vehicle at the first place.

Last edited by mssca; 01-19-18 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-19-18, 06:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mssca
"..... that’s when 17-year-oldParker Steven LaFromboise jumped into Turner’s Lexus and sped out of the parking lot. A confused and understandably upset Turner was left holding the Lexus’ key fob. "

So what the point of having a key fob? If I am close to the vehicle (I have a 2017 RX 350) and a thief also get close to the vehicle, the criminal can open the door and drive it off even though I am standing OUTSIDE the Lexus? In other words, I just walk up to a random Lexus and as long as the owner of that vehicle is nearby, I can drive off?

If this is true, what a stupid design. There should be a lawsuit against all car manufactures if someone can drive off with your vehicle while the key is not even inside the vehicle at the first place.
About as 'usless' as your thread title spelling and grammar hah.

The article is missing a lot of details. The gentlemen could of been outside the car and had it running even if he denies that. What if he had the second key inside the car? Another scenario is the kid had a device to capture the vehicles key signal. This btw can happen to any car, Lexus, Honda, BMW etc.

Try it on your own car. Put the key fob on the ground right outside your drivers door, get inside and put your foot on the brake and press start. It's not going to start. The key fob must be detected within the cabin. The MID between your speedo and tach will say 'Key Not Detected'.
Old 01-19-18, 06:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Unless the system was malfunctioning, if there was not a second fob inside the car, then the engine's computer probably would have shut the engine down fairly quickly......the police wouldn't have had to chase the car that far.

The most ironic thing, though, about this case is that, because the kid is 17, he's still considered a juvenile, and his (former) criminal record will, in effect, start over when he is 18....less than a year away.
Old 01-19-18, 06:50 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

I'm starting to realize that some people don't understand how a key FOB started vehicle, is really no different than a metal key started vehicle. The only difference is the thief can't turn it off and back on.
Old 01-19-18, 07:01 PM
mssca
Driver

Thank you for the responses. I am going to experiment with my key fob and see what happens.
Old 01-19-18, 07:03 PM
mssca
Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
About as 'usless' as your thread title spelling and grammar hah.

The article is missing a lot of details. The gentlemen could of been outside the car and had it running even if he denies that. What if he had the second key inside the car? Another scenario is the kid had a device to capture the vehicles key signal. This btw can happen to any car, Lexus, Honda, BMW etc.

Try it on your own car. Put the key fob on the ground right outside your drivers door, get inside and put your foot on the brake and press start. It's not going to start. The key fob must be detected within the cabin. The MID between your speedo and tach will say 'Key Not Detected'.
This is why I posted it under Car Chat area. Just out of curiosity. Thanks for the response.
Old 01-19-18, 07:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Unless the system was malfunctioning, if there was not a second fob inside the car, then the engine's computer probably would have shut the engine down fairly quickly......the police wouldn't have had to chase the car that far.

The most ironic thing, though, about this case is that, because the kid is 17, he's still considered a juvenile, and his (former) criminal record will, in effect, start over when he is 18....less than a year away.
If memory serves me, some Dodge's (maybe it was Top Gear?), when the key fob is removed from a running vehicle, it can go a few hundred feet before it shuts off.

For the Lexus it can run without the key basically until the gas runs out. But you can't start it without the key fob.
Old 01-19-18, 07:15 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

If memory serves me, some Dodge's (maybe it was Top Gear?), when the key fob is removed from a running vehicle, it can go a few hundred feet before it shuts off.

For the Lexus it can run without the key basically until the gas runs out. But you can't start it without the key fob.
I don't think any vehicle will shut off if the FOB is removed. It would be a safety issue. What would happen if the FOB battery died?
Old 01-19-18, 07:23 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by mssca

Opening a door has nothing to do with starting the engine. If you start the engine all door stays locked.
Old 01-19-18, 07:26 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Htony
Opening a door has nothing to do with starting the engine. If you start the engine all door stays locked.
Your thinking about "remote starting". Starting with the push button and getting out, the doors will be unlocked.
Old 01-19-18, 07:26 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike728
I don't think any vehicle will shut off if the FOB is removed. It would be a safety issue. What would happen if the FOB battery died?
Owner's manual spcfically says open door with key, put key fob on top of PST button and push the button to start. Battery still has some juice left it is not at zero volt.
I never tried it tho.
Old 01-19-18, 07:29 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike728
Your thinking about "remote starting". Starting with the push button and getting out, the doors will be unlocked.
Of course you are opening the door to get out. In that case the car will beep for your attention.
Old 01-19-18, 07:29 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Htony
Owner's manual spcfically says open door with key, put key fob on top of PST button and push the button to start. Battery still has some juice left it is not at zero volt.
I never tried it tho.
That's correct! The car will continue to run as long as you want. You don't need to hold the FOB against the button the whole time.
Old 01-19-18, 07:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Hard to believe that Dodge has a better safety-feature than Lexus. But...I guess that sometimes happens.
Old 01-19-18, 07:33 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Hard to believe that Dodge has a better safety-feature than Lexus. But...I guess that sometimes happens.
They operate the same. Start with the push button, get out and walk away, someone can easily open the door and drive off. This thread is proving my point, that people don't understand how this works.

Quick Reply: Lexus keyfob is a usless junk?