Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus keyfob is a usless junk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-18, 09:31 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Hard to believe that Dodge has a better safety-feature than Lexus. But...I guess that sometimes happens.
I wish Lexus has TPMS set up procedure Chevy uses. Lexus is not the best in everything for sure.
Old 01-20-18, 02:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I cry BS. I’ve had 4 Lexus cars with keyless entry and start, and one Toyota. I’ve tried this numerous times, to reach in and start the car when detailing it or doing something else with it, and it will not work. In each case I have to take my keys out of my pocket and dangle them inside the cabin to get the car to start.

So if it won’t start with me leaning in the open door, one foot on the brake and my pocket being slightly outside the cabin, it ain’t going to work standing next to the car.

The guy in the story clearly left the car running at the gas station, which means he’s an idiot. OR the whole thing was staged.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-20-18 at 02:45 AM.
Old 01-20-18, 03:24 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
I wish Lexus has TPMS set up procedure Chevy uses. Lexus is not the best in everything for sure.
I don't understand. The Tire Pressure Monitor in my RX350 works great. What is so much better about Chevy?
Old 01-20-18, 06:43 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I don't understand. The Tire Pressure Monitor in my RX350 works great. What is so much better about Chevy?
Did you try registering new set of TPMS? There are Youtube tutorials about
Old 01-20-18, 06:46 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mssca
According this article, https://www.clublexus.com/articles/s...lexus-st-paul/
"..... that’s when 17-year-oldParker Steven LaFromboise jumped into Turner’s Lexus and sped out of the parking lot. A confused and understandably upset Turner was left holding the Lexus’ key fob. "

So what the point of having a key fob? If I am close to the vehicle (I have a 2017 RX 350) and a thief also get close to the vehicle, the criminal can open the door and drive it off even though I am standing OUTSIDE the Lexus? In other words, I just walk up to a random Lexus and as long as the owner of that vehicle is nearby, I can drive off?

If this is true, what a stupid design. There should be a lawsuit against all car manufactures if someone can drive off with your vehicle while the key is not even inside the vehicle at the first place.
Why don't you try it out and see if what the story says actually works. I think I already know the answer...

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I cry BS. I’ve had 4 Lexus cars with keyless entry and start, and one Toyota. I’ve tried this numerous times, to reach in and start the car when detailing it or doing something else with it, and it will not work. In each case I have to take my keys out of my pocket and dangle them inside the cabin to get the car to start.

So if it won’t start with me leaning in the open door, one foot on the brake and my pocket being slightly outside the cabin, it ain’t going to work standing next to the car.

The guy in the story clearly left the car running at the gas station, which means he’s an idiot. OR the whole thing was staged.
Exactly.

Last edited by tex2670; 01-20-18 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-20-18, 06:48 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
If memory serves me, some Dodge's (maybe it was Top Gear?), when the key fob is removed from a running vehicle, it can go a few hundred feet before it shuts off.

For the Lexus it can run without the key basically until the gas runs out. But you can't start it without the key fob.
So then what happens if the FOB battery dies? The car would read that as the same as the FOB not being in the car.
Hard to believe that Dodge has a better safety-feature than Lexus. But...I guess that sometimes happens.
That's not a better safety feature; it's a worse safety feature. Again, if your fob battery dies, the car will not sense the fob as being inside the car, and then your car will shut itself off.
Old 01-20-18, 06:49 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Htony
Owner's manual spcfically says open door with key, put key fob on top of PST button and push the button to start. Battery still has some juice left it is not at zero volt.
I never tried it tho.
That's for STARTING. Not running. Does that mean you have to keep the fob touching the start button your entire drive? Of course not.
Old 01-20-18, 06:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670

That's not a better safety feature; it's a worse safety feature. Again, if your fob battery dies, the car will not sense the fob as being inside the car, and then your car will shut itself off.
Well, of course that's true, but that wasn't what I was refering to. ANY fob has to ave a good battery to keep working. I typically keep a car 5-6 years, and I have yet to place a fob-battery. They last a long time....even if one goofs up and gets it wet in the wash-machine or swimming-pool (done that a couple of times, too, but never had a fob fail yet).
Old 01-20-18, 09:06 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Well, of course that's true, but that wasn't what I was refering to. ANY fob has to ave a good battery to keep working. I typically keep a car 5-6 years, and I have yet to place a fob-battery. They last a long time....even if one goofs up and gets it wet in the wash-machine or swimming-pool (done that a couple of times, too, but never had a fob fail yet).
It IS what you are referring to, because there's only one sensor that detects the key in the car; if you walk away with the key fob or your fob battery dies--same result.

However, you are not the typical customer. They have to make these things assuming that, not only will the owner not replace the battery diligently, but that they don't even know how to replace their battery. Heck, I'll bet most people say "There's a battery in there?"

Proximity key batteries have a much shorter life then conventional fobs. They are constantly transmitting a signal when the car is running (hence, the entire discussion about "Key not detected").
Old 01-20-18, 09:52 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I don't think any vehicle will shut off if the FOB is removed. It would be a safety issue. What would happen if the FOB battery died?
So then what happens if the FOB battery dies? The car would read that as the same as the FOB not being in the car.
A key FOB battery dying is a non factor in the Lexus. Even if the battery is dead you can take the dead key fob and touch it to your Lexus start button and it will start the car. That's the fail safe in case the battery dies. So in essence you're never stuck, just inconvenienced.
Old 01-20-18, 09:56 AM
Hoovey689

This . He's probably just too 'proud' so he fabricated the story.
Old 01-20-18, 10:37 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

A key FOB battery dying is a non factor in the Lexus. Even if the battery is dead you can take the dead key fob and touch it to your Lexus start button and it will start the car. That's the fail safe in case the battery dies. So in essence you're never stuck, just inconvenienced.
I know that--that is not at all what I was talking about.

The issue I responded to was if one walks away from the car with the fob, for a period of time, will it shut off. I don't see how this can happen because the car can't distinguish between a missing fob and a dead battery. You can't drive the car and keep holding the fob to the start button.
Old 01-20-18, 10:47 AM
Hoovey689

I know that--that is not at all what I was talking about.

The issue I responded to was if one walks away from the car with the fob, for a period of time, will it shut off. I don't see how this can happen because the car can't distinguish between a missing fob and a dead battery. You can't drive the car and keep holding the fob to the start button.
No, it should stay running until one either presses the start button again to cycle the vehicle off or if the car runs out of gas.

If I turn on the vehicle, then toss the fob out, it'll keep going until one of the above happens. The MID will just say key not detected.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 01-20-18 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-20-18, 12:19 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

No, it should stay running until one either presses the start button again to cycle the vehicle off or if the car runs out of gas.

If I turn on the vehicle, then toss the fob out, it'll keep going until one of the above happens. The MID will just say key not detected.
Correct.
Old 01-22-18, 10:55 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I cry double BS here, owned 6 Lexus with keyless push start button and NOT once I can start the car without they keys are inside the car (except using remote starter).

Quick Reply: Lexus keyfob is a usless junk?