Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NYC Manhattan congestion levy proposal

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-18, 11:00 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Congestion pricing could be implemented in a number of ways.
  1. Singapore uses a transponder and cash card system. All vehicles sold in Singapore have the transponder installed into which a cash card is inserted. Every time the driver enters the congestion zone or transponder-enabled parking lot, money is deducted from the card.
  2. London uses an online subscription service and automatic licence plate number recognition for validation / enforcement (and charging vehicles that are not registered). The subscription service works because London has different discounts and exemptions, including low emissions (non-diesel) vehicles.
  3. The automated toll highway in the Toronto area uses transponders and automatic licence plate number recognition for validation / enforcement (and charging vehicles that do not have a transponder). This technology (similar to the E-ZPass) could easily be adapted for congestion pricing.

Originally Posted by Och
a) They should not toll trucks - they are there to do work, bring deliveries, etc. Increased cost of business will be passed onto consumers.
I agree but I believe that the size of the trucks allowed may have to be restricted. Smaller delivery trucks may ease congestion.

Originally Posted by Och
b) There is very little reason to drive a private car or take taxi. It is simply faster to walk or take subway throughout the city. However, a lot of people that are driving around Manhattan are doing it because they are coming in from far away, and public transit isn't reliable. Would be great to have large parking lots near the crossings, so people could drive into Manhattan, park, and then walk or take subways.
I agree. In fact, the number of Uber and Lyft vehicles has only added to the congestion. But the subway system would have to be fixed to make it more reliable. The legislators agreed, saying that NYC transit should be fixed before congestion pricing and restrictions are brought in.

The money raised from congestion pricing could and should be used to maintain the subway system.

Originally Posted by Och
c) Reduce number of taxis and ban Uber/Lyft in Manhattan. Toll the living crap out of the remaining ones during weekday business hours. One has got to be seriously lazy to take cabs around the city, because its much slower than walking and using the subway, and should pay premium for it.
Traffic, including taxi traffic, is slow in Manhattan because of the congestion. If congestion pricing successfully takes traffic off the streets, what is left should be able to travel faster.

I believe that you do need some regulated and licensed taxis on the streets to transport visitors to the city (tourists or business people). But price taxi rides into and out of city centre appropriately -- regular pricing to get out of the city but add a surcharge to enter the city.

Originally Posted by Och
d) Get rid of the god damn NYCT buses. They are slow, clumsy, redundant and useless. They simply don't belong on the city streets. Most of their routes are redundant with subway, but they move so slowly that is way faster to simply walk. Think about it - first you gotta get to the bus stop, then you wait forever for the bus, then it crawls at a snails pace, and then you got to get to your actual destination from the bus stop. The only people that take the bus around the city are old farts from $300 rent stabilized apartments in UWS with a lot of time to waste. Replace the buses with smaller 10-15 passenger vans, and instead of fixed routes have them operate using an app similar to Uber Pool.
As I said above, traffic, including bus traffic, is slow because of the congestion; reducing the congestion should increase traffic speed, including buses.

But reducing the size of buses to shuttle bus size (e.g. Ford Transit wagon, Mercedes-Benz Sprinter mini bus), along the lines of the Ford Chariot last-mile shuttle service is a good idea.
Old 01-19-18, 11:14 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
Di Blasio has discovered that, despite his best efforts (and that of Bloomberg, etc.), there are still people out there who want to come into Manhattan and spend money (Broadway, restaurants, tourists, blah).

And his job is to stop them.

If the high dollar businesses that will go broke from this have any brains (doubtful) they will offer to validate the toll off the bill, and say so.
Do you realize that parking for a few hours around most congested parts of Manhattan is $50-60? Do you think extra $10 toll will stop anyone from coming to a Broadway show?
Old 01-19-18, 11:18 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i am certain i will never drive in manhattan ever again in my life.

manhattan is cramped, with millions of people. the only vehicles that should be there are delivery, transportation services, and govt services / law enforcement, etc. driving ones own car there is basically insane. it's slow, expensive, and risky.

manhattan is also facing many serious funding challenges so no doubt taxes will keep rising. and with the fed tax bill passed, many high rollers in manhattan are going to be paying a LOT more in taxes. some will leave. manhattan has had some awful mayors, but we'll see how the current bozo handles all this since he's obviously planning on running for president soon.
Bit, what happens is this - many people live in the outer boroughs and work in Manhattan. In some of these boroughs, public transportation is often horrible, so they drive to work. If there were parking lots near the bridges and tunnels that could accommodate all the private vehicles driving into Manhattan, and then all these drivers could get around Manhattan on foot or use subway (within Manhattan itself the subway is great).

And the fcking taxis and uber, I simply have no idea who takes them. I'm in Manhattan almost every day, and usually have many different stops that I go to, and I never bother with taxi or Uber, its much faster to walk or take train.
Old 01-19-18, 11:26 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sulu

As I said above, traffic, including bus traffic, is slow because of the congestion; reducing the congestion should increase traffic speed, including buses.

But reducing the size of buses to shuttle bus size (e.g. Ford Transit wagon, Mercedes-Benz Sprinter mini bus), along the lines of the Ford Chariot last-mile shuttle service is a good idea.
Reducing size of the buses so they could make turns without blocking intersection forever and having them run flexible routes via an app similar to uber pool - so this way they are far more useful to the passengers. Right now buses all over NYC (not just Manhattan) are a complete joke.
Old 01-19-18, 11:31 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Do you realize that parking for a few hours around most congested parts of Manhattan is $50-60? Do you think extra $10 toll will stop anyone from coming to a Broadway show?
I would play the carpool game, wife, son, myself, I'm paying $6.50 today to use the Holland/Lincoln/GW, not $15, not $12.50, not $10.50, whatever, PEAK. One has to use any legal advantage they can, to get the costs down. $10 is nothing, which is why it should be $50 or more. Am I using public transportation x 3 people so x6 roundtrip, when I can drive in for $6.50 and parkwhiz for $22? Unlikely.

The theater crowd is interesting--I was standing, legally parked, during Christmas, and an Explorer was backing into a space in front of me (west side maybe 48/50/52 facing East), and a Mitsubishi goes head in and took the spot. Explorer backed up and tough looking dude but decently dressed, gets out, goes up to the driver side. I was really surprised no fist fight. 20 min. later Mitsubishi leaves, Explorer backs in, and I put my window down, I saw the whole thing, surprised there was no fight. Guy goes we are peaceful people, what that guy did was not right, so I let him know it. He claimed he would only be there a short time, so we waited, as we're going to see a show.
Old 01-19-18, 11:35 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Reducing size of the buses so they could make turns without blocking intersection forever and having them run flexible routes via an app similar to uber pool - so this way they are far more useful to the passengers. Right now buses all over NYC (not just Manhattan) are a complete joke.
Why are they a joke? When my wife worked in Manhattan, she took the NJ Transit, then changed to the MTA. This makes a lot more sense than driving in, which I doubt she could afford to have parked daily anyway, forgetting about how much time taking the bus saved.
Old 01-19-18, 11:39 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Why are they a joke? When my wife worked in Manhattan, she took the NJ Transit, then changed to the MTA. This makes a lot more sense than driving in, which I doubt she could afford to have parked daily anyway, forgetting about how much time taking the bus saved.
NJ buses are actually ok, but try Brooklyn and Queens.
Old 01-19-18, 11:50 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I find it hard to believe that NYC is broke/having budget issues like some of you say. I mean the amount of $$$$ generated from property tax must be insane. How many $1 million plus apartments are in the city??? How much property tax is each one of those???? That's the one thing I like about where I live, the politicians(state and local) know how to do a balanced budget without an income tax.
Old 01-19-18, 04:15 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
ugh, congestion charges are ridiculous. Please dont let this ever come to california.
L.A. will follow suit if NYC passes it..

to an extent we already have a "congestion" charge in some areas if you consider that the 110 and 10 Freeways allow the use of single person vehicles in the HOV lanes if you have a fastpass and pay the toll.
Old 01-19-18, 04:30 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I usually go to NYC for business first few times I drove then I started flying. I see no point in even driving in Manhattan, walking and train is faster to get around.
Old 01-19-18, 04:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
^^ we have those too on some freeways. they are called express lanes. But this article is referring to actual charges for entering a particular area of the city, which is much worse

No. What we have on I-66 goes beyond simple "Express" lanes. You pay, with the transponder (EZ-Pass), during rush-hours, to use the road, period. The amount is constantly calculated by the number of cars on the toll-stretch vs. the number waiting on the entrance ramps to get in.
Old 01-19-18, 04:34 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I find it hard to believe that NYC is broke/having budget issues like some of you say. I mean the amount of $$$$ generated from property tax must be insane. How many $1 million plus apartments are in the city??? How much property tax is each one of those???? That's the one thing I like about where I live, the politicians(state and local) know how to do a balanced budget without an income tax.
The city is far from broke.I have no idea how it's possible that they misuse BILLIONS of Dollars every year.This additional tax is a drop in the bucket and none of the funding will go to help the MTA.
Old 01-19-18, 04:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
to an extent we already have a "congestion" charge in some areas if you consider that the 110 and 10 Freeways allow the use of single person vehicles in the HOV lanes if you have a fastpass and pay the toll.
It's affected the Bay Area too. On some parts of I-580 and I-680 the HOV lane which recently you could use if you had 2+ persons in the vehicle are now FasTrak lanes and you MUST have a FasTrak to use them, less the cameras get you and a nasty little bill follows a month later. So carpools now require the FasTrak, just having 2+ persons doesn't cut it now.
Old 01-19-18, 05:36 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting. There are a couple of obviously ideological posts here that mirror a lot of political views. Possibly people actually travelling during peak rush hours for Manhattan. OTH, bureacracy grows like the weeds you try and keep out of the lawn but keep coming back persistently.

Any kind of solution that's going to be enacted by a clunky bureaucrat is going to be essentially a large hammer when all you need is a finishing tool. The problem is that a large number of people do not want to share a transportation device with another large group of people. So they use private vehicles and want to use those private spaces to travel at the same time.

Sometimes, Americans do have a class system. It's just based on money vs European blue blood royalty. There won't be an ideal solution because of geography and peak demand. These types of tolls or fees never sell well, but they do also change behaviour over the long term and that is really the end game as opposed to simply trying to tax and spend on bureaucratic solutions or fund some sort of metro transit system.
Old 01-19-18, 09:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
As someone who lives in NYC and drives to Manhattan several times per week - this will do ZERO to solve congestion.
Its nothing but a money grab by the politicians. Their answer is to just increase taxes how about stop the wasted spending on crappy initiatives. You have NY government workers making MORE in OVERTIME pay than they do in regular salary.

There is unbelievable amount of wasted spending on MTA, NY HRA, Court systems, Healthcare, Welfare, Illegal immigrants, public housing etc. And their best solution is to pass it on regular shmucks who are driving their cars/trucks to work, so basically the middle class thats not reliant on any entitlement programs!
Nice rant but nothing is going to change with mayors like deblasio.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The city is far from broke.I have no idea how it's possible that they misuse BILLIONS of Dollars every year.This additional tax is a drop in the bucket and none of the funding will go to help the MTA.
Check out this little jewel on nyc debt...https://comptroller.nyc.gov/reports/...d-obligations/

And that doesn't cover the giant govt pension bomb about to go off.
http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/d...icle-1.3114183

Quick Reply: NYC Manhattan congestion levy proposal