Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LAPD's BMW i3 fleet sits unused, misused

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-18, 05:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default LAPD's BMW i3 fleet sits unused, misused

Should of bought them Mitsubishi Mi-EV's instead, at least they'd be cheaper than an i3

http://cbsloc.al/2DaHUUs

According to a report from CBS Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Police Department spent $10 million to go green with a fleet of BMW i3 electric cars. CBS's David Goldstein's investigation finds, though, that many of those cars sit unused, while others are used for personal errands.

CBS scoured department records, and found a number of vehicles that are sitting unused, with very low mileage on them. In the video above, Goldstein follows an LAPD commander driving one of the i3 EVs, and confronts her when she leaves a nail salon. "This is part of a million-dollar pilot program," he says. "You're really supposed to get a manicure using the BMWs?"

Her reply: "I have no comment at this time."

BMW won the $10.2 million contract to provide the cars in the LAPD's effort to go green. As part of the contract, the LAPD leases the cars from BMW, taking delivery of one hundred cars every year for three years. They're supposed to be used for non-emergency, administrative police business.

"It's all a part of saving the Earth," said LAPD Deputy Chief Jorge Villegas, "going green ... quite frankly, to try and save money for the community and the taxpayers."

Deputy Chief Villegas told Goldstein he'd look into CBS's findings, but that he considers the program a success, and hopes EVs find more use.
Source
Old 01-18-18, 05:27 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So that's how bmw got rid of all those crappy i3s...
Old 01-18-18, 05:52 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

they would do well as parking enforcement vehicles, currently they are running around L.A. in 2000- 2004 year old Civics, S-10 Pickups, and Malibu's for parking enforcement.

One has to believe the i3 would be much more practical than 17 year old vehicles that get maybe 15mpg as a parking enforcement vehicle, seeing as then seldom get over 10mph and idle all day long.
Old 01-18-18, 05:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Should of bought them Mitsubishi Mi-EV's instead, at least they'd be cheaper than an i3
Mitsu's position is too perilous, right now, in the American market. I don't think the LAPD (or city council, if they approved the sale) would want to take a chance with a company that may soon pack up and head back to Japan. Of course, we've been staying that now for the last 5 years LOL.

I'd also make a strong guess (but probably not enough to bet money on LOL) that the effective cruising-range of those i3s is not up to police standards. A police car does no good if it can't get to the scene of a bank robbery because it's plugged-in, being recharged.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-18-18 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-18-18, 06:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Mitsu's position is too perilous, right now, in the American market. I don't think the LAPD (or city council, if they approved the sale) would want to take a chance with a company that may soon pack up and head back to Japan. Of course, we've been staying that now for the last 5 years LOL.

I'd also make a strong guess (but probably not enough to bet money on LOL) that the effective cruising-range of those i3s is not up to police standards. A police car does no good if it can't get to the scene of a bank robbery because it's plugged-in, being recharged.
It's a joke marshall..

Old 01-18-18, 06:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It's a joke marshall..
With the state of California, though, you never know. They have been pushing alternate-fuel vehicles for years.
Old 01-18-18, 07:47 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

so they spend $34000 per car every year.
a $34000 yearly lease.
for a car that costs $45000.
That's like $2800 per month. And even if it's all inclusive, it's still a frickin rip off.

Collecting taxes is like a free ticket to spend frivolously. I always wonder why they never hire bargain hunters and smart shoppers.

bmw is laughing all the way to the bank.

Unless I misread that, and they lease an extra 100 cars every year, to have a final fleet of 300 i3's.
Then the lease would be $1416 per month. which is still a gargantuan rip off.
But I highly doubt they would maintain a fleet of 300.
So most likely they're paying $2800 per month for the 100 cars.

Last edited by pman6; 01-18-18 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-18-18, 07:52 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I expect no less from the city of Los Angeles. It's easy to spend someone else's money.
Old 01-18-18, 08:15 PM
pman6
Racer

I just watched the CBS video.

The monthly lease is $418.

if you do the math,

For a fixed fleet of 100, that's $501k per year, $1.5M after 3 years.
For an incremental fleet of 300, that's $3M after 3 years.

Chargers are included, and presumably maintenance too.
But that still doesn't account for the $7 million left over.

Are the city's expenses public information? There should be transparency when tax dollars are spent.

Our LA county sales tax went up at least 0.75% in recent years, all to be wasted on crap like this.

Last edited by pman6; 01-18-18 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-19-18, 02:01 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Not surprised about the BMW's. Los Angeles and CA is so poorly run now. My business deals mostly with retiring baby boomers, and nearly all of them want to move away once they retire. Out with the hard-working good people and in with the not so good gimme gimme gimme folks. See where the state and future votes are going as the turnover continues.
But back to cars for the city. Most parking enforcement Honda Civics are hybrids, so they are getting excellent mileage. I agree, they are very old though. The rest of the fleet are newer Prius's, which also get great mileage at low speeds/idle. The balance are new Jeep Wranglers, which makes absolutely zero sense for a parking enforcement vehicle.
Old 01-19-18, 04:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Not surprised about the BMW's. Los Angeles and CA is so poorly run now. My business deals mostly with retiring baby boomers, and nearly all of them want to move away once they retire. Out with the hard-working good people and in with the not so good gimme gimme gimme folks. See where the state and future votes are going as the turnover continues.
But back to cars for the city. Most parking enforcement Honda Civics are hybrids, so they are getting excellent mileage. I agree, they are very old though. The rest of the fleet are newer Prius's, which also get great mileage at low speeds/idle. The balance are new Jeep Wranglers, which makes absolutely zero sense for a parking enforcement vehicle.
lol, why the heck would they use Wranglers for parking enforcement? Wow.
Old 01-19-18, 06:43 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I get that CA is much different than the USA, but at the same time, one would expect the purchasing dept to a) get the best product for the money b) support domestic cos. whenever possible

I see Federal govt. cars that are Sonatas. Again, I understand that maybe they have a lower cost of ownership, more reliable, and assembled in the US. But somehow one would have expected a domestic co. to have been awarded the fleet.

Sometimes imho govt. does waste in very ostentatious ways. Like they don't care. Ford Raptors in CT?
Old 01-19-18, 06:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

saving the earth by producing resource intensive cars that you wont utilize
Old 01-19-18, 09:22 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

they aren't police cars, they are for "administrative" purposes and administrative personnel of the Police Department. they are not used for Police work in the sense you state.

they are used for things like driving to court, meetings, forensic collection, etc..
Old 01-19-18, 05:55 PM
pman6
Racer

i wish governments would save money so that they can collect less tax from us.

If I understand correctly, even schools that get government funds need to spend their allotted funds, or risk getting fewer to no funds in the future.
So what they do is buy expensive ipads and overkill tech just so they can use up all the dollars.
This cycle of waste is costing us.

Quick Reply: LAPD's BMW i3 fleet sits unused, misused