Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car Flies About 60 Feet Into Upper Floor of a Building in California

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-18, 02:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Exclamation Car Flies About 60 Feet Into Upper Floor of a Building in California

Wow

A Nissan sedan became airborne and crashed into a California dental office on Sunday morning, coming to rest dangling out of the building’s second story, the authorities said.

The police in Santa Ana, Calif., said the car clipped a median outside the building and flew about 60 feet before slamming into the 17th Street Dental Office.

The crash, which happened at about 5:25 a.m., rattled guests in a motel next door but the dental practice was closed at the time.

The Los Angeles County Fire Department used a specialized forklift and wrecker to remove the car, the police said. One of the two people inside the vehicle was able to exit on his own, but emergency workers had to remove the other person, a police spokesman said.

The driver told officers he had used drugs before the crash and was taken to a hospital for treatment of minor injuries, the police said. The spokesman said that the authorities had filed a charge of driving under the influence but that the driver had not yet been arraigned because he was in the hospital.

The passenger also sustained minor injuries.

On Sunday afternoon, the car was gone from the building but a giant hole remained on the second floor of the dental office. The owner of the practice could not be reached for comment.

A woman who works at the motel next door said it was fortunate the motel was unscathed. “Inside, it’s a major loss,” the woman, who declined to provide her name, said. “It’s a big hole.”
Old 01-15-18, 03:09 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Maybe he thought he could clear it.

Old 01-15-18, 03:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The driver told officers he had used drugs before the crash
At least he was (apparently) honest. Others might have tried to blame it on vehicle malfunction or unintended acceleration.
Old 01-15-18, 04:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tecman
Maybe he thought he could clear it.
how lucky was he not to hit the one oncoming car, then the BUS!
Old 01-15-18, 04:24 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Old 01-15-18, 06:51 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Is this Carlos Ghosn's next concept car, the flying Nissan Altima?
Old 01-15-18, 06:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kitabel
At least he was (apparently) honest

No, that's his way of saying "It's not my fault!"
The fact that it doesn't work doesn't mean he won't try it - they all do.
IMO, that's not necessarily evading fault. After all, who gave him the drugs...the Tooth Fairy? One has to actually make the decision to use them....or, if already addicted, to have made that first hit.
Old 01-15-18, 06:54 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Wow

"Open wide", my dentist told me...
Old 01-15-18, 06:59 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
At least he was (apparently) honest. Others might have tried to blame it on vehicle malfunction or unintended acceleration.
Maybe he took drug used to make human to tell the truth?.....
Lucky guy. Must've been speeding for sure.
Old 01-15-18, 07:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
HAHA good one.
Old 01-15-18, 07:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Yeah.....that was quite a filling.
Old 01-15-18, 07:24 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

2 years ago some dink was running from the cops and hit the center median the same way and came through the 6 ft wall sound wall that separates my mothers property from the Blvd. he didn't get quite as high as this turd, but basically did the same thing.

Old 01-15-18, 10:14 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Similar thing happened in my neighborhood. You turn off the main road, the main road in the neighborhood is a divided 2 lane with a median, trees planted in the median. Must be arrow straight and completely flat for a good half mile, you turn off this divided road into different sections of the neighborhood where houses are. Anyways, at the very end of the divided road is a gate for the "fancy" newer condos.

Of course the drunk idiot probably has the throttle pinned and is going god knows how fast(like the guy in the airborne car here) over this half mile straight section of road, then "OH ****!!!" realizes he's run out of road. You see skid marks where he tried to stop right before the gate, gate is a tangled mess off the the side, he drives through a row of bushes, crashes through a wooden fence, then goes down a ravine with a 15-20' drop and finally stops when he hits a huge *** hackberry tree. I mean if you go down there you can still find chips, bits and pieces of his car near that tree, he completely obliterated that one part of the tree, its probably going to die since half the bark and a chunk of the trunk is now gone.
Old 01-15-18, 10:38 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
lmfao ohh man thats what i thought of immediately "looks like those boys are getten some fresh air" hahaha
Old 01-15-18, 11:58 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

After tracking stories like these and living on a major street in L.A. for 15 years now, I have concluded the following:

1) It's always an Altima with custom rims.
2) Usually no insurance or legal papers.
3) 95% of the time, under the influence.
4) Zero regard for the law and fellow drivers.

This kid displayed the ultimate act of selfishness and stupidity. Emphasis on stupid, as he sped as fast as he could TO THE END OF A DEAD-END STREET! And once again, the guy at fault is barely injured.
Another thing the media never got right was saying the passenger was stuck in the car for over and hour, yet the car "burst into flames" upon impact. You can see the scorched marks on the building. Another miracle.
Stories like this are far too common these days. No one cares anymore about safety or their fellow drivers. With the increase of drug use and new drug laws passed, it's only going to become more dangerous on the road around here. Like we really needed even MORE hazards to deal with out there.

Quick Reply: Car Flies About 60 Feet Into Upper Floor of a Building in California