ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   How important is Apple Carplay and Android Auto in your next vehicle? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/878050-how-important-is-apple-carplay-and-android-auto-in-your-next-vehicle.html)

bitkahuna 01-15-18 12:19 PM

How important is Apple Carplay and Android Auto in your next vehicle?

Thought I'd start a poll/discussion since it's been talked about here and there.

geko29 01-15-18 12:49 PM

Hard requirement. Won't consider any cars without it.

chyeea03 01-15-18 01:05 PM

I've never used either one but I would think Android Auto would be far better than many of the systems pushed by car manufacturers. Does anyone know how updates work with regards to Android Auto or Carplay? Let's say there is a new version of Android Auto that gets released, would a Civic get an OTA update from Honda?

DaveGS4 01-15-18 01:06 PM

For me - just a nice to have, at least for Apple Carplay. I've got it in my truck and find it pretty limited in terms of what apps it works with - priumarily doesn't support Waze which chafes me.

Allen K 01-15-18 01:23 PM

Will not be buying another car without it. Waze blows every OEM nav offering out of the water

geko29 01-15-18 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by chyeea03 (Post 10082868)
I've never used either one but I would think Android Auto would be far better than many of the systems pushed by car manufacturers. Does anyone know how updates work with regards to Android Auto or Carplay? Let's say there is a new version of Android Auto that gets released, would a Civic get an OTA update from Honda?

Doesn't need to. Android Auto is an app that runs on your phone, and is updated through the Play Store. The head unit just offers APIs to integrate it into your dash. That's the beauty of it. You're never stuck with a "Gen III Nav" system with maps from 2007.

Och 01-15-18 01:24 PM

Depending on the type of car. For instance I'm familiar with infotainment system in my cars, so I find apple play redundant and not as good. But when I'm renting a car, its nice when it has apple play, because I don't want to bother learning its infotainment system, I just start up apple play and use that.

chyeea03 01-15-18 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by geko29 (Post 10082892)
Doesn't need to. Android Auto is an app that runs on your phone, and is updated through the Play Store. The head unit just offers APIs to integrate it into your dash. That's the beauty of it. You're never stuck with a "Gen III Nav" system with maps from 2007.

That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure. Thanks for confirming that!

ExTrEmE99 01-15-18 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Allen K (Post 10082891)
Will not be buying another car without it. Waze blows every OEM nav offering out of the water

Does android auto allow Waze to run on the factory display? I know apple limits to ONLY allow their Apple Maps to be displayed on the factory navigation systems. (same for like how waze isnt displayed on the lock screen of an android, but runs in the "background")

LeX2K 01-15-18 01:44 PM

Apple’s CarPlay is finally coming to Toyota and Lexus vehicles

Allen K 01-15-18 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99 (Post 10082909)
Does android auto allow Waze to run on the factory display? I know apple limits to ONLY allow their Apple Maps to be displayed on the factory navigation systems. (same for like how waze isnt displayed on the lock screen of an android, but runs in the "background")

Yup. On my Odyssey, you hit the maps button at the bottom to go to nav. Hit the button again when you're already in nav and you can choose between Google Maps and Waze. Only negative thing about Waze for AA is that I can't send my ETA (at least I don't think I can)

IS350jet 01-15-18 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by DaveGS4 (Post 10082869)
For me - just a nice to have, at least for Apple Carplay. I've got it in my truck and find it pretty limited in terms of what apps it works with - priumarily doesn't support Waze which chafes me.

Dave, have you used Apple Maps lately? It's come a long way since the beginning. With every iOS update Maps keeps getting better. It's very competitive, now.

bagwell 01-15-18 02:11 PM

Nice to have but def not mandatory for me.

Originally Posted by geko29 (Post 10082850)
Hard requirement. Won't consider any cars without it.

why?

Rhambler 01-15-18 03:49 PM

To me it's a requirement. After experiencing it first hand, especially the ability to text with Apple Car Play, it's invaluable.

I would imagine that demographically speaking, the younger you go, the more of a requirement these features become.

bitkahuna 01-15-18 03:57 PM

seems there's a distinction between apple carplay and android auto, with android auto being a bit more flexible given what apple doesn't allow?
i've never used either, so i'm asking.