Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: How important is Apple Carplay and Android Auto in your next vehicle?
Required
50.00%
Nice to have
26.83%
Not important
9.76%
Don't care
13.41%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

How important is Apple Carplay and Android Auto in your next vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-18, 04:45 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

https://www.android.com/auto/

I have no experience with Android Auto, but I would guess that it probably is more flexible or offer more apps (like WAZE) just based on the typically enclosed Apple IOS ecosystem versus the more open Google Android. Waze is great and I also wish Apple offered it.
Old 01-15-18, 04:49 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

personally don't understand the need or the want.. I stream music and that's about it, from the time I have played with Apple Car play in a few vehicles I don't see what benefit it offers.

I can control the music on my phone through my steering controls now, while streaming I can get phone GPS instructions over the speakers.

so aside from distracting features like texting, what exactly does car play give you? I don't text/talk and drive, I have my phone set to not show or allow calls or texting while driving..
Old 01-15-18, 05:39 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
personally don't understand the need or the want.. I stream music and that's about it, from the time I have played with Apple Car play in a few vehicles I don't see what benefit it offers.

I can control the music on my phone through my steering controls now, while streaming I can get phone GPS instructions over the speakers.

so aside from distracting features like texting, what exactly does car play give you? I don't text/talk and drive, I have my phone set to not show or allow calls or texting while driving..
One of the biggest ease of access feature carplay/android play offers is the mitigation of the navigation sw from google maps, waze or apple maps to be displayed on your navigation/screen. These mobile applications include better traffic routes and way more flexibility when it comes to changing routes/adding or even using the navigation.

(Yes i understand a lot of us bought these expensive navigation packages and we still opt to you use phone applications to guide us through traffic and to our destination but thats what happens when systems like the lexus infotainment system doesnt allow us to change/add addresses on the fly for safety).
Old 01-15-18, 05:46 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Nice to have, but not mandatory.

I have a Galaxy S8 and all the functions I need such as Waze viewed on the phone and music over Bluetooth with steering wheel controls, are done without Android Auto (AA). In addition, I have a magnetic vent holder which makes mounting/unmounting of the phone much easier than connecting and fondling a USB cable. Now if the next versions of BT can manage the throughput with decent battery life such that AA can work over BT, then I'd be sold on AA. Until then, current setup is more convenient and does the job and I rarely used it in the A4 and in the Stinger.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-15-18 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-15-18, 05:52 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Requirement.

100% compatibility.. almost like WYSIWYG function.

and!!!! I don't have to spend $2000 for the Nav package..
Old 01-15-18, 05:55 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I don’t really want it.

I still don’t like Apple Maps. I would not ever dig my phone out of my bag to plug it in anyway, so I’d be paying for something I would never use.
Old 01-15-18, 05:59 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
why?
Because most OEMs have mediocre infotainment systems, maps that you have to pay to update, and generally only offer traffic via FM or SiriusXM.

AA and Car Play are separate apps that load once the car is connected. It actually removes a lot of functionality and streamlines the phone into a handful of selected apps. Trying to text while AA is running would be a PITA.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Nice to have, but not mandatory.

I have a Galaxy S8 and all the functions I need such as Waze viewed on the phone and music over Bluetooth with steering wheel controls, are done without Android Auto (AA). In addition, I have a magnetic vent holder which makes mounting/unmounting of the phone much easier than connecting and fondling a USB cable. Now if the next versions of BT can manage the throughput with decent battery life such that AA can work over BT, then I'd be sold on AA. Until then, current setup is more convenient and does the job and I rarely used it in the A4 and in the Stinger.
Ha, I'm actually the opposite. Whenever I drive my GS, I hate that I have to look at my phone in a mount to get a competent nav. I've got this big honking screen that is basically useless because Waze is so much better at routing and avoiding traffic than the POS Lexus nav. Plugging it in doesn't bother me because it ensures that when I get to my destination I'm still at 100% battery life.
Old 01-15-18, 07:10 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
AA and Car Play are separate apps that load once the car is connected. It actually removes a lot of functionality and streamlines the phone into a handful of selected apps. Trying to text while AA is running would be a PITA.
I know what they are, and as I said I do not understand the need or want.. I stream music, that is all I do.. I don't need GPS it is on my phone, and when I use it all I care about is hearing the directions/route. I don't look at the maps, don't even like them displayed on my screen, I learned how to map my drive/route with a Thomas Guide, and I still familiarize myself with the route and the streets before I ever start driving.. As long as the phone speaks the turn my turn that is all I require..

So again, I fail to see the need.. as long as I can stream my music and control the track up and down and volume with the steering controls, I'm good.
Old 01-15-18, 07:21 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Dave, have you used Apple Maps lately? It's come a long way since the beginning. With every iOS update Maps keeps getting better. It's very competitive, now.
Yep have tried it recently, it's no Waze.
Old 01-15-18, 07:35 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I have the navigation system in my ES but seldom use it; I only use it occasionally to find out where I am, but never use the turn-by-turn navigation function. I actually do not like the map page that is the default display on my central infotainment screen; I find the continuous movements in my peripheral vision distracting.

While on vacation 2 years ago, I used the navigation application on my phone in the rental car (which did not have a infotainment system), just listening to the turn-by-turn instructions issued by the app. In the middle of the drive, the app navigated me off the interstate on a detour on local roads -- in a seedy area of town -- due to heavy traffic; I would have preferred to stay on the interstate.

I grew up reading maps and planning the route prior to setting out on a road trip (this was long before personal computers or smartphones with mapping applications) and this is still what I prefer.

I don't trust these navigation / traffic apps. I prefer to stay with my paper maps or online Google Maps and plan the route prior to setting out. My sense of direction is also quite good so do not really need these in-car navigation systems.

If my next car does not have a built-in navigation system but does include Apple CarPlay and/or Android Auto, and assuming I have a compatible phone with data, I may try it. But I will not need it and I definitely will not rely on it.
Old 01-15-18, 07:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Yep have tried it recently, it's no Waze.
Ford's new sync 3 apparently makes waze work with carplay, but regardless, if carplay allowed waze to work on all cars, would it then be more important for you?
Old 01-15-18, 07:47 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

I know what they are, and as I said I do not understand the need or want.. I stream music, that is all I do.. I don't need GPS it is on my phone, and when I use it all I care about is hearing the directions/route. I don't look at the maps, don't even like them displayed on my screen, I learned how to map my drive/route with a Thomas Guide, and I still familiarize myself with the route and the streets before I ever start driving.. As long as the phone speaks the turn my turn that is all I require..

So again, I fail to see the need.. as long as I can stream my music and control the track up and down and volume with the steering controls, I'm good.
Then I guess you aren't the target demo
Old 01-15-18, 07:51 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I have it in the NSX and have gotten hooked on it.

Makes it super easy to use Pandora for music or Simple Radio for ESPN AM.

I like how with the iPhone 10, it actually turns the radio of for you.

Nice to be able to use the wheel mounted controls to skip crappy tunes.
Old 01-15-18, 08:36 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Ford's new sync 3 apparently makes waze work with carplay, but regardless, if carplay allowed waze to work on all cars, would it then be more important for you?
It’d still be a nice to have, but nicer to have. It was a more important factor before I had a vehicle with it and had a chance to play with it extensively. Now that I’ve got it, meh..s’ok.
Old 01-16-18, 03:59 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Ha, I'm actually the opposite. Whenever I drive my GS, I hate that I have to look at my phone in a mount to get a competent nav. I've got this big honking screen that is basically useless because Waze is so much better at routing and avoiding traffic than the POS Lexus nav. Plugging it in doesn't bother me because it ensures that when I get to my destination I'm still at 100% battery life.
Good point on the battery life though my commute with Waze sucks at most 15% battery so not too much an issue.

Ideal scenario to me is wireless charging with AA over BT.

Quick Reply: How important is Apple Carplay and Android Auto in your next vehicle?