Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Ford Bullitt Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 05:52 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2019 Ford Bullitt Mustang

The Bullitt isn't just a restyle in an homage to the original Bullitt Mustang, it's also been worked over for more horsepower and a classic burbly exhaust note. The 5.0-liter V8 has been retuned to make "at least" 475 horsepower and 420 lb-ft of torque. The hedging is because there may be a final adjustment to that number later, but don't expect a massive increase in either number. Think plus or minus 5 ponies. If these are the final numbers, that's a bump of 15 horsepower over the 2018 Mustang GT (460hp).

The exhaust is also going to sound better, barking out a blatty classic Ford smallblock-like sound from its standard active valve performance exhaust with blackened tips. There's also an new air induction system Ford calls the Open Air Induction System (more details on that coming soon), and it swipes the Shelby GT350 intake manifold and ECU. That means the throttle bodies are upgraded to 87mm, by the way,

The manual transmission is topped with a classic round white cueball-style shift ****. Beyond that, it's packed with all the goodies from the GT Premium and Performance Packages. The cool digital gauge cluster is also present but with a custom Bullitt welcome screen. There are only a few options: the Bullitt Electronics Package (nav, memory mirror and seats, better audio, BLIS with cross-traffic alert), MagneRide, and Recaro seats trimmed in black leather.

And the exterior. There are two colors, interestingly. The original Dark Highland Green, but also Shadow Black. The 19-inch aluminum Torq Thrust-style wheels have red Brembo calipers behind them. The black, unadorned grille is a nice touch — otherwise the car is clear of badging, like the original.

This is a special edition, so production may be limited. It'll be available this summer, with pricing information coming later.
Source

---

Original Bullitt Mustang found, takes its place alongside 2019 Bullitt

Few movie cars are as instantly recognizable as the 1968 Ford Mustang that Steve McQueen drove in "Bullitt." That Highland Green car known now simply as the Bullitt Mustang took on a 1969 Dodge Charger on the streets of San Francisco in one of the greatest car chases captured on film. For decades, the original car was thought to be lost. That wasn't entirely the case. It's simply been kept out of the public's eye. Now it returns to the spotlight, finally taking its rightful place next to its successor, the new 475-horsepower 2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt.

After filming wrapped on "Bullitt," Warner Bros. sold two cars off, one to a private buyer and another to a salvage yard. The salvage car was beaten and bruised thanks to a number of jumps and stunts during filming. While that one was eventually found in Baja California, the other Mustang has been quietly resting in a private collection for nearly 40 years. After the owner, Robert Kiernan, passed away in 2014, his son Sean contacted Ford to let the company know the whereabouts of the car.

According to Hagerty, McQueen attempted several times to purchase the car from Kiernan, even offering to find a similar replacement. Kiernan refused. The car was apparently driven by Kiernan's wife, a teacher at a school in New Jersey. The car's clutch went out in 1980, and it was moved to a garage for a very extended stay. At the time, it had 65,000 miles on the odometer. The car followed the Kiernan family to Ohio, Kentucky and eventually to Nashville, Tennessee.

Looking at the photos, it's obvious that the car has been parked for a while. The brightwork is pockmarked with rust spots, and the paint is flat and faded, though apparently some of that was intentionally done to give it the same flavor as McQueen's character in the film, Lt. Frank Bullitt. All of the age is made even more apparent when parked next to the new 2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt.

Kiernan doesn't have plans to sell the car, but the right offer may be too hard to pass up. Hagerty estimates the car might be worth more than $4 million at auction, comparing it to James Bond's Aston Martin DB5 ($4.1 million) and the original Batmobile ($4.6 million). Either way, it's good to know that the car wasn't crushed or sold for scrap. A car like this deserves to live.
Source
Old 01-14-18, 06:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Too bad Steve McQueen himself didn't live to see this new retro version. He passed away in 1980, at the age of 50...still a fairly young man by modern standards.

This new one seems a nice testament to the original, except for one thing....the wheels. Those five-spoke black alloys, IMO, look like crap compared to the silver genuine Cragar-style mags on the original. Those original Crags are a gem.
Old 01-14-18, 07:10 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Bullitt Mustang is a classic for sure. IIRC it had the 390 with a 4 speed manual. McQueen had a stunt driver do the most dangerous wide angle stuff but a lot of the rest, he did himself. I like the retro-piece. It really looks good and is a wonderful and nostalgic homage to the original.

Interestingly enough, I've found myself actually wondering about the driver of the Dodge Charger who almost steals the scenes from McQueen's all-over-the-place cop character. This was Bill Hickman - stunt driver/coordinator whose cool calm "accountant" demeanor is interesting to watch as he works his much larger, heavier car and pushes the limits. There's something interesting about that.

If anyone hasn't seen one of the benchmark movie car chases in history, it's worth looking it up. The French Connection micmicked this chase but it came a few years later.

This movie itself is a work of simplistic cinema rather than a cheesy Hollywood formulaic work. By today's standards it's an easy to read good guy/bad guy scenerio; this particular piece made McQueen's character a rebel and a bit of an anti-hero. This was very much in the vein of Clint Eastwood's spaghetti westerns - which set up the 70's era Dirty Harry movies.
Old 01-14-18, 07:41 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

The front bumper is really hideous and droopy.

This Bullit is not much different than regular GT.
Old 01-14-18, 07:44 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Too bad Steve McQueen himself didn't live to see this new retro version. He passed away in 1980, at the age of 50...still a fairly young man by modern standards.

This new one seems a nice testament to the original, except for one thing....the wheels. Those five-spoke black alloys, IMO, look like crap compared to the silver genuine Cragar-style mags on the original. Those original Crags are a gem.
There is a saying - Its not how many years you live but how you lived them. He accomplished a lot in his lifetime and lived it to the limit in all ways.

I agree the wheels and red brakes are both tacky.
Old 01-14-18, 08:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

i think it looks absolutely awesome, including the front with the plain grill and the 5 spoke black rims that aren't too big keeping more sidewall and making them fit the part more.
Old 01-14-18, 08:58 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Not a bad effort at first blush. But the Dumbo, pre-crashed front hood spoils the look.
Old 01-14-18, 11:02 PM
AWD4Mo
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lovin' what they're doin' to the 'stang the last few years, and also the camaro. I like the convertible version of both.
Old 01-15-18, 06:18 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I remember reading Steve Mcqueen would get angry whenever his leading lady was taller than he was, which was almost always....imagine that behavior today lol

I always like the original versions of films not the remakes, as I used to watch these late night with my dad. What could be better than being a kid, and staying up late with your dad? Thomas Crown Affair comes to mind when you say Steve Mcqueen. Bullitt was crazy, but I think the all time greatest car chase was in The Seven Ups. Seemed to all be Pontiacs in that film except for the suicide doors on the Continental that the bad guys drove.

This sales guy picked me up in a Bullitt Mustang last year, I actually was not impressed, but it was not new...the guy got it used so it was beat up, I think a 2011. This 2019 looks sweet...

just remembered something, later that day my boss goes how was your lunch? I was sitting at the next table. DOH! talked about possible opportunity at his firm, doesn't matter my boss went to another firm anyway and was doing so at that time
Old 01-15-18, 06:24 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG

If anyone hasn't seen one of the benchmark movie car chases in history, it's worth looking it up. The French Connection micmicked this chase but it came a few years later.
imho the benchmark is The Seven Ups, I think the car chase is better than The French Connection. Kinda like Mean Streets seems to never get its props....who doesn't like Freddie Prinze (Chico and the Man) playing a garage attendant, I thought that was funny looking back....
Old 01-15-18, 08:25 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like it allot, but agree the wheels should be grey, not black.
Old 01-15-18, 09:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I remember reading Steve Mcqueen would get angry whenever his leading lady was taller than he was, which was almost always....imagine that behavior today lol
now it's tom cruise. but way off topic...
Old 01-15-18, 09:18 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Don’t like the front, looks too droopy ...
Old 03-29-18, 10:57 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2019 Mustang Bullitt orders open as Ford reveals price and horsepower

Ford has opened order books for the 2019 Mustang Bullitt and confirmed final output for the commemorative-edition GT fastback at 480 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque. Ford also confirms starting pricing, which is $47,495, including a $900 destination and delivery fee. Deliveries are expected in late summer.

Ford had previously said the 5.0-liter V8 would make "at least" 475 hp, so the final figure makes good on that and offers 20 more ponies than the 2018 Mustang GT, thanks to a Shelby GT350 intake manifold, 87-mm throttle body and engine tuning. It also boasts a top speed of 163 miles per hour, unchanged from previous projections but an 8 mph improvement over the standard Mustang GT.

​​​​​​​It adds several features that were previously options on the Mustang GT, including active exhaust, a performance package that includes red Brembo front brakes, suspension and chassis upgrades and a limited-slip differential, and 19-inch aluminum wheels. It even gets an increasingly rare manual transmission (there's no automatic option), complete with a white cueball **** shifter. A black NitroPlate quad-tip exhaust is standard.

Customers will be able to choose between shadow black and the classic dark highland green, as shown in Detroit. Badging is limited to the faux gas-cap Bullitt logo centered on the rear.
Source
Old 03-29-18, 07:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

stick shift only with 480hp... that will be a workout to drive, but awesome toy for those with money to burn...

Quick Reply: 2019 Ford Bullitt Mustang