Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Detroit Auto Show Starts Jan 13, Wash. D.C. Show starts Jan. 26

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-18, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Detroit Auto Show Starts Jan 13, Wash. D.C. Show starts Jan. 26

For you show-goers, don't forget that Detroit starts this upcoming week (the pre-show Gallery actually started today)...and runs through January 28. This is arguably the largest auto show in the country.

https://naias.com/about/overview/

The somewhat smaller (but still very large) D.C. show will overlap the end of the Detroit show, January 26-February 4. Don't forget, for the D.C. show, you can get a couple of free show-tickets at any local D.C.-area new car dealership just by asking for them...often at the sales manager's desk. The passes usually start coming in the week or so before the show....so get them before they are gone.

https://www.washingtonautoshow.com

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-13-18 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 09:29 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

It looks like many of the press conferences are on Monday. I hope that is the intro of the new Lexus big crossover and the new Acura.
Old 01-13-18, 09:43 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Desperate for some new vehicle debuts. It's been awfully quiet and slow here lately.
Old 01-14-18, 01:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Desperate for some new vehicle debuts. It's been awfully quiet and slow here lately.

Well, you're in California. Did you make it to either the San Francisco or L.A. shows in November/December? Plus, you've got the SEMA show right next door in Las Vegas.
Old 01-14-18, 01:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You folks might laugh at this, seeing as it is a small, relatively cheap vehicle, but I'm probably looking forward to seeing the Ford EcoSport more than anything else at the D.C. show. They had one at last year's show, out on the floor, without ropes, but it was a prototype model and locked up...no one could get inside of it. We'll wait and see, but, personally, I think it is going to be a big success....just right off the tip of my tongue, I can think of around a half-dozen people in my life for whom it just might be the perfect (or nearly perfect) vehicle. Also high on my list of new vehicles to see there (if I don't see them first at a dealership) are the Buick Regal Tour-X Wagon, Regal Sportback, the new Lexus LS500 that Steve almost bought LOL, and, if they bring it down after Detroit, the mid-engine Corvette.
Old 01-14-18, 01:43 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, you're in California. Did you make it to either the San Francisco or L.A. shows in November/December? Plus, you've got the SEMA show right next door in Las Vegas.
Plenty of shows to go around, but the gap between LA and Detroit is usually pretty quiet. Makers spit out their debuts for each, but not much in between. Plus, I have A.A.D.D. (Automobile Attention Deficit Disorder). I require one new car debut per week or else I get nervous. =)
Old 01-25-18, 01:26 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Went through the Washington Show today. As expected a pretty quiet show since it's operated by the regional dealer entities (many cars even have the dealer stickers on them, i.e. Koons, etc). The OEMs were able to bring a new Avalon, LS500, RX350L and Ram 1500 to the show, although, from what I understand, they will put on closed pedestals during the public days.

Other new cars that seem to be on the main floor: New Jetta, Subaru Ascent, Ford Edge ST, Jeep Wrangler, Volvo XC40, Jeep Cherokee facelift, Hyundai Kona, Ford EcoSport, etc.

Land Rover has a fun off-road course set up indoors along the show floor. Where participants are able to drive any of the Land Rover models through a pretty rugged set of obstacles. The Jaguar exhibit (also indoor setup) allows for a passenger ride along for a quick little dynamic course.

Other Ride n Drives from BMW, VW, Toyota, Mazda, Ford and Kia on the streets.

Last edited by pbm317; 01-25-18 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-25-18, 03:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Went through the Washington Show today. As expected a pretty quiet show since it's operated by the regional dealer entities (many cars even have the dealer stickers on them, i.e. Koons, etc). The OEMs were able to bring a new Avalon, LS500, RX350L and Ram 1500 to the show, although, from what I understand, they will put on closed pedestals during the public days.

Other new cars that seem to be on the main floor: New Jetta, Subaru Ascent, Ford Edge ST, Jeep Wrangler, Volvo XC40, Jeep Cherokee facelift, Hyundai Kona, Ford EcoSport, etc.

Land Rover has a fun off-road course set up indoors along the show floor. Where participants are able to drive any of the Land Rover models through a pretty rugged set of obstacles. The Jaguar exhibit (also indoor setup) allows for a passenger ride along for a quick little dynamic course.

Other Ride n Drives from BMW, VW, Toyota, Mazda, Ford and Kia on the streets.

You must have been there for the press event...the main public show starts tomorrow on the 26th (I'm planning on going at least three or four days....a few hours at a stretch).

Today, one of the Senate Subcommittees on Transportation held a hearing there, in one of the show's auditoriums, where several executives testified on the feasibility of automated vehicles. I watch the hearing on C-Span.

So you say BMW has a Ride-N-Drive this year? That's a first, from what I can remember.....unless they are going to remove it for the public show. Also been a while since I remember seeing one from Ford at the public show. Toyota, Kia, Subaru, and Mazda usually have them every year, though they sometimes share and alternate the same circuit and parking space out front. Scion did, too, until they folded.

With all the talk here on Car Chat about the new Avalon and LS500, I was hoping to see them both up close, but, as you note, usually (but not always) the newest displays go up on the turntable, where you can't sit in them.

What do you mean by "main floor" and "show floor"? The D.C. show is traditionally held on two levels...with two sets of entrance-gates for each floor.

Definitely going to take a long look at the Ford EcoSport....I can think of at least half a dozen people in my life for whom that just might be the perfect vehicle. If Ford follows the usual pattern, they will do the gift-card/test-drive sign-up again.

Thanks again for the write-up.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-25-18 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-25-18, 08:57 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Sorry, been to this many times and it always disappoints me. Besides the fact that the manufacturers skimp on some of the cars they bring, it is crowded and many people, including their kids, are rude and obnoxious. My experience going to a dealer and checking out different cars is much better even though it takes more time.
Old 01-25-18, 09:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
Sorry, been to this many times and it always disappoints me. Besides the fact that the manufacturers skimp on some of the cars they bring, it is crowded and many people, including their kids, are rude and obnoxious.
It's always played second-fiddle to Detroit for new-car introductions, partly because the tail end of the Detroit show often overlaps the start date of the D.C. show. The Detroit show has also been a larger one by tradition, even though the D.C. area sells six times the number of new vehicles that the Detroit area does.....and the SoCal/L.A. region ten times as many.

My experience going to a dealer and checking out different cars is much better even though it takes more time.
The best thing is to do both.
Old 01-26-18, 07:16 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You must have been there for the press event...the main public show starts tomorrow on the 26th (I'm planning on going at least three or four days....a few hours at a stretch).

Today, one of the Senate Subcommittees on Transportation held a hearing there, in one of the show's auditoriums, where several executives testified on the feasibility of automated vehicles. I watch the hearing on C-Span.

So you say BMW has a Ride-N-Drive this year? That's a first, from what I can remember.....unless they are going to remove it for the public show. Also been a while since I remember seeing one from Ford at the public show. Toyota, Kia, Subaru, and Mazda usually have them every year, though they sometimes share and alternate the same circuit and parking space out front. Scion did, too, until they folded.

With all the talk here on Car Chat about the new Avalon and LS500, I was hoping to see them both up close, but, as you note, usually (but not always) the newest displays go up on the turntable, where you can't sit in them.

What do you mean by "main floor" and "show floor"? The D.C. show is traditionally held on two levels...with two sets of entrance-gates for each floor.

Definitely going to take a long look at the Ford EcoSport....I can think of at least half a dozen people in my life for whom that just might be the perfect vehicle. If Ford follows the usual pattern, they will do the gift-card/test-drive sign-up again.

Thanks again for the write-up.
Main floor meaning not on a pedestal/closed stand. The show floor meant just in the building, not outside.
Old 01-26-18, 08:13 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Beginning with the recession and the slowdown in new car sales there weren't as many elaborate displays, turntables etc. at the Chicago Auto Show. There still are a lot of vehicles on the floor and a few selected new models and concepts up on special displays. The show still packs 'em in though always over 1 million every year. It's a good outing on a cold February day.