Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Took delivery of my 2017 LS460L

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-18, 07:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
In all honesty, its great that you got what you wanted. Good for you!!!! Probably the last chance at a V8 without paying mega bucks as an option upgrade. Like the color.

What are the OEM tires you have on it?
Thanks Jill! It has Bridgestone Turanza EL42’s on it which are terrible tires. I have a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus on order for it, the same tires I had on the 2015. Headed out shortly to take better pics!
Old 01-13-18, 08:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
386hp (RWD) vs 367hp (AWD)
Hard to tell for sure, wth the way they rate HP nowadays, but, all else equal, that's probably the mount of power (in torque-equivalent) that the drag of the AWD hardware prevents from reaching the drive wheels.
Old 01-13-18, 08:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Thanks Jill! It has Bridgestone Turanza EL42’s on it which are terrible tires. I have a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus on order for it, the same tires I had on the 2015. Headed out shortly to take better pics!
Surprised no Michelin's, never was a fan of Bridgestone. I would suggest you buy out this car, the discount you said was $20K I think I read, too good to pass up. You still lease another car at the time and with three cars in possession. I don't think you would ever a get a chance at LS like this with a discount
Old 01-13-18, 08:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Surprised no Michelin's, never was a fan of Bridgestone. I would suggest you buy out this car, the discount you said was $20K I think I read, too good to pass up. You still lease another car at the time and with three cars in possession. I don't think you would ever a get a chance at LS like this with a discount

Factory Bridgestones on a Lexus product is not unusual...though, to Lexus's credit, most of the new ES350s seem to come with Michelins. My old 1Gen IS300, though, with the all-season tire option, came from the factory with Bridgestone RE-92s...same tire as my later Outback.
Old 01-13-18, 09:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its really luck of the draw. They either come with Michelins, Bridgestones or Dunlops. All the ones up here (the AWD ones with coil suspension, etc) have Michelins, while the ones down south seem to have Bridgestones. I tried to get them to swap out the Michelins off of one of the cars on their lot but they didn't want to do that since they all had different wheel designs (you also don't get the 19s I have up here, you get a more multi-spoke wheel and I prefer mine) and they would have had to dismount, remount and rebalance both cars. I could understand that.

These tires are terrible, and having driven the LWB car on the Michelins and on these you can tell the difference for sure. Once my Pirellis get on it'll make a huge difference as it did with my 2015.

Buying it out is my plan, the residual is also terrible, its only $31k, so it will be a great buy at the end.

The sun is finally out, and the torrential downpours yesterday cleaned all the salt off the roads mercifully, so I have pics! Monday the full front clearbra goes on and the windows get tinted on Tuesday. Still deciding between 30% and 40%.

Enjoy:

Old 01-13-18, 09:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

(Moderator note: please don't quote a huge post with many pics right under the post and only add a brief response)
So exciting. I didn’t know AWD were Michelin only. Do you still get that special feeling at the dealer when you got it?

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-13-18 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 09:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So exciting. I didn’t know AWD were Michelin only. Do you still get that special feeling at the dealer when you got it?
Thanks! Oh yeah, I always do. This one was even moreso because they had to find it, and I got surprised by them finding one down south with equipment I never thought I could get, and then having to anticipate and wait for a week and a half for it to come in. I've never had to wait on a car before because I've always just bought something off the lot.

I gotta say, I love the LWB. I always poo-pooed it before, but the car has a presence about it in the LWB it doesn't have in the SWB.
Old 01-13-18, 09:59 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

nice going steve, way to keep it LS!! the last of the V8s, i know it's simply a matter of toyota moving with the times but i'm still sad to see that engine leave us. there really is just a charm about a n/a V8, that wonderful linear direct feel it gives that i worry will be missing in the new LS. not to mention the sound is obviously far superior. when i drive mine i always thank the universe for letting me be the older sibling that the car got passed down to! i hope to maybe give my (hypothetical) son the LS some day, keep the legacy going lol...
Old 01-13-18, 11:18 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Thanks! Oh yeah, I always do. This one was even moreso because they had to find it, and I got surprised by them finding one down south with equipment I never thought I could get, and then having to anticipate and wait for a week and a half for it to come in. I've never had to wait on a car before because I've always just bought something off the lot.

I gotta say, I love the LWB. I always poo-pooed it before, but the car has a presence about it in the LWB it doesn't have in the SWB.
Does the long wheelbase feel any more ponderous to drive/turn/handle, or "bigger" compared to your standard wheelbase.
Old 01-13-18, 01:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

In general, all else equal, the longer the wheelbase (and the wider the track between the wheels), the smoother the ride.
Old 01-13-18, 01:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
Does the long wheelbase feel any more ponderous to drive/turn/handle, or "bigger" compared to your standard wheelbase.
The only time so far I’ve felt it feel bigger was when making a u turn, or pulling into a parking space. Just driving around it really doesn’t feel bigger. It does feel heavier and more substantial. Been out with the family all day in it, the kids have WAY more room in the back.
Old 01-13-18, 01:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Its really luck of the draw. They either come with Michelins, Bridgestones or Dunlops. All the ones up here (the AWD ones with coil suspension, etc) have Michelins, while the ones down south seem to have Bridgestones. I tried to get them to swap out the Michelins off of one of the cars on their lot but they didn't want to do that since they all had different wheel designs (you also don't get the 19s I have up here, you get a more multi-spoke wheel and I prefer mine) and they would have had to dismount, remount and rebalance both cars. I could understand that.

These tires are terrible, and having driven the LWB car on the Michelins and on these you can tell the difference for sure. Once my Pirellis get on it'll make a huge difference as it did with my 2015.

Buying it out is my plan, the residual is also terrible, its only $31k, so it will be a great buy at the end.

The sun is finally out, and the torrential downpours yesterday cleaned all the salt off the roads mercifully, so I have pics! Monday the full front clearbra goes on and the windows get tinted on Tuesday. Still deciding between 30% and 40%.

Enjoy:
Does this 460 sound as quiet as your last one with the Bridgestone tires?
Old 01-13-18, 03:05 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Back in 2007, the 4LS started out with a smooth & slick European-like nose.
I wish the major midlife facelift in 2012 had given 4.5LS the bumperless full grille & more stylish brake cooling ducts that current model ES & GS uses.

Alternatively, for an 11 year old life span, I wish Lexus could have given us a 3/4 life update in 2015/16 with a nose similar to 2016 ES/GS, and this would have greatly helped sales, esp against the Genesis G90's.

However, the 4.5LS' rear looks fine, and so too its interior, driveline and chassis.

2007:

2016:

Old 01-13-18, 03:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Does this 460 sound as quiet as your last one with the Bridgestone tires?
Its actually quieter than my last one. Don't know if its because of the rear dual pane glass or what. The engine is much smoother and quieter, the DI "tick" is really nonexistent on this car while I could clearly hear it on the 2015.

The Bridgestone tires don't start out loud, they get loud after 5-6k miles. What they do start out as is hard, at low speed you can feel little quivers and imperfections in the road. I'd say that it was the 19" wheels except that I've driven LWB cars with the 19s and Michelins and didn't feel that. Was the same way on my 2015, the car lacked a little bit of polish in the ride until I put the Pirellis on. Hated to spend $1,000 on tires right off the bat but I'm paying a lot for the car and want to get the most out of every mile.

At least thats how I rationalized it to myself LOL

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Alternatively, for an 11 year old life span, I wish Lexus could have given us a 3/4 life update in 2015/16 with a nose similar to 2016 ES/GS, and this would have greatly helped sales, esp against the Genesis G90's.
Remember when the 4.5 LS came out in 2012 as a 2013 model Lexus didn't use the full spindle yet. Wouldn't make sense for them to refresh it again in 2015 2016 when an all new LS was on the way. I like the refresh ES, but I HATE the refresh GS, I think my 13 GS with the break in the spindle looked way better upfront. I actually really like the way this generation LS looks in the front.
Old 01-13-18, 04:14 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the new LS the wheels look good.

Quick Reply: Took delivery of my 2017 LS460L