Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

most 3 row utes are very cramped...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-18, 04:04 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I think my Sequoia has about 36 of rear leg room not sure but went to the speedway to look at the Christmas lights my friends said that they had plenty of room.
Old 01-13-18, 07:35 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
?? I'm 6'4", and while my E90 is an auto, the E46 I had before was a manual, and it was roughly the size of a Civic. With the driver's seat all the way back, I couldn't disengage the clutch. Had to slide it forward probably 4-5" from the rear stop to be able to floor the clutch pedal. And I have plenty of headroom in both cars, despite the moonroof eating some up.
Set your seat to your driving position then go sit behind you in the back to see what I am talking about, now imagine yourself back there in a 4 hr trip and you will scramble out of there like it's a death trap. In a civic you'll find that the packaging is much more spacious.
Old 01-13-18, 10:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
I think my Sequoia has about 36 of rear leg room not sure but went to the speedway to look at the Christmas lights my friends said that they had plenty of room.
Definitely yuuuge!!

Front Leg Room : in 42.5
Second Leg Room : in 40.9
Third Leg Room : in 35.3
Old 01-13-18, 11:19 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
What about the Nissan Pathfinder or Infiniti QX60? They are supposed to be roomy.
I wouldn't call them roomy but, I do find the third row OKAY , slightly roomier than the Pilot and much better then the Highlander for my height of 5'6 I could sit there for quite a bit , but I do find that it does affect the second row seating which is tighter in my opinion then the Highlander or Pilot. The VW Atlas imo is the only one in the midsize SUV field that has the 3rd row that let's me sit comfy back there. The Ford Expedition\Lincoln Navigator duos offer the best in my opinion.
Old 01-14-18, 06:29 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Set your seat to your driving position then go sit behind you in the back to see what I am talking about, now imagine yourself back there in a 4 hr trip and you will scramble out of there like it's a death trap. In a civic you'll find that the packaging is much more spacious.
My 6'1" Father-in-Law has in fact sat behind me for a 6-hr road trip multiple times, none the worse for wear. I did have to move the seat forward from my ideal spot, but was not uncomfortable for the long drive. But let's go to the tape!

2000 E46 sedan (this is what I had):
Front Legroom: 41.4
Rear Legroom: 34.6

2000 Civic sedan:
Front Legroom: 42.7
Rear Legroom: 34.1

Not seeing it. Now, on the modern versions, Honda has indeed made great strides at expanding the Civic into the midsized space:

2018 F30 sedan:
Front Legroom: 42
Rear Legroom: 35.1

2018 Civic sedan:
Front Legroom: 42.3
Rear Legroom: 37.4

Almost the same numbers as the 2000 Accord (42.1/37.9). But they did stretch the platform by almost 7.5 inches to accomplish this.

But, back to SUVs, the topic of the thread. Though you don't see it in the numbers, one of the most comfortable 2nd rows I've seen in a midsized SUV is the Audi Q5 (40.9 front/37.8 rear). A large portion of that is due to the front seat design, which is elevated off the floor, with the mechanism pushed all the way to the edge. That means I can easily fit the entirety of my size 15EE feet under the front seat all the way to the ankle. This helps with the seating position tremendously.

Last edited by geko29; 01-14-18 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-14-18, 11:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

I dont think those measurements tell the full story, you should try sitting in front/back and comparing them that way.
Old 01-14-18, 01:06 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
I dont think those measurements tell the full story, you should try sitting in front/back and comparing them that way.
I totally agree.
I tried to tell OP Bitkahuna in the post below.

Long time, no see. Welcome back spwolf.

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Seating
Because the seating position and cabin of the vehicle has very "complex" measurements, I no longer measure legroom etc with measuring tapes, due to large inaccuracies.

Soft foam cushions actually have more compression, and provide more interior space.
Low seat bases can provide superior measurements, but at a cost to comfort.
Short seat squabs/bases like ES provides a much greater feeling of spaciousness than long seat bases/squabs like GS.
Angled/raked back rests provide a greater feeling of space.

Door trims can be more "scalloped" to provide more elbow room etc.
Lexus sedans often scallop their rear ceiling beneath the sunroof to provide greater headroom.
The back of the front seat back rests can be scalloped to provide much greater rear knee room.

Rear foot space is provided beneath the underside of the front seats.
Lexus GS compromises rear leg room and rear foot room for great air conditioned multi-adjustable front bucket seats.

Have you ever noticed how "narrow" front bucket seats like ES make the cabin feel larger than wide front bucket seats?
Furthermore, three evenly sized rear seats feel more spacious than two large rear bucket seats when three passengers are seated across the rear bench!

To a certain extent, small steering wheels with thick rims can make a cabin feel bigger inside, while making the handling feel smaller.

I find that passenger cabin cubic feet measurements are a greater indication of spaciousness, however even in this case - there are large inaccuracies, as vehicles with short seat squabs like ES feel more spacious than they really are.

Thus, there is presently no concrete/objective measure of interior space, such that there is a strong subjective component in the seat of the pants feeling...

Old 01-16-18, 10:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i added some more to the first post.
Old 01-16-18, 10:26 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My in-laws bought a new Durango this summer. It's quite a bit larger than my Highlander for sure. It's pretty nice.
Old 01-16-18, 02:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
My in-laws bought a new Durango this summer. It's quite a bit larger than my Highlander for sure. It's pretty nice.
ah, nice that you can compare... not sure the durango's second seat room is any better though (might be worse)?
Old 01-16-18, 02:42 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ah, nice that you can compare... not sure the durango's second seat room is any better though (might be worse)?
I didn't notice a huge difference in the second row, but didn't pay much attention to how far the 2nd row was slid back. If it was all the way back, then yes, the Highlander may have more leg room back there. I find the captain's chairs in my Highlander to be more comfortable than the 2nd row bench in the Durango, but wish my second row seats weren't so low to the floor. The Durango is better in this regard.

The Durango's third row has more legroom, but is narrower (2 person vs. 3 person). The Durango's cargo area, either with the third row folded or up, seemed much bigger as well.
Old 01-16-18, 02:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i don't think the 2nd row moves back/forward in the durango (?), which is one of my beefs.
Old 01-16-18, 03:04 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Ah, I see. I just assumed that it did but did not check. Next time they're visiting I'll take a look.
Old 01-20-18, 01:36 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
My 6'1" Father-in-Law has in fact sat behind me for a 6-hr road trip multiple times, none the worse for wear. I did have to move the seat forward from my ideal spot, but was not uncomfortable for the long drive. But let's go to the tape!
I was gonna say why didn't you answer my question but I guess you did...someone shorter already couldn't fit behind you without you having to move the seats up.
So you made your in laws sit behind you like this for 6 hrs?

guess you don't like him very much huh?
Old 01-20-18, 04:08 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
I was gonna say why didn't you answer my question but I guess you did...someone shorter already couldn't fit behind you without you having to move the seats up.
I didn't answer directly because it's silly. There are very few cars--even full-size ones--where I can sit "behind myself" with the front seat in my ideal position. I can't do it in any Lexus other than the LS, for example. I can almost do it in the ES, and can't get in the back of the IS that competes with the 3, even if no one is driving. I can't even do it in a Tahoe or Expedition without my knees digging into the front seat. The only cars where I can do so comfortably are extended-wheelbase models like the S-class, G90, Q70L, etc. It's a little unrealistic to expect the same out of a compact.

I'm glad you could find a picture of a VW that is so small that it lacks a B pillar and isn't even sold in the US to illustrate your point. But yes, we made the trip in relative comfort, because there's a lot of seat travel between "ideal" and "uncomfortable". In stark contrast to the time we were forced to make a similar drive in a 20' long Grand Marquis, when my knees were digging into the dashboard and his or my wife's digging into my back. None of us could walk upright for 2 days afterwards, except my son, who was happy as a clam in his Recaro baby seat.

Quick Reply: most 3 row utes are very cramped...