Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Amazon Alexa coming to Toyota, Lexus cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-18, 07:26 AM
kagete
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a Civic hatch for work-week commuting and Android Auto is definitely a game-changer. My wife and I can argue over what restaurant to eat dinner at, and read some yelp reviews on the phone or PC. Once we hop into the car, the home screen will have the last 3 searched restaurants suggested and two taps will have google or waze navigation automatically started.

If you have calendar appointments at locations such as a flight then the navigation to the airport will be auto-suggested at the home screen on startup as well. Home and Work daily routes are also presented which is great for knowing if you need to take an alternate route because of a crash somewhere.

Apple carplay offers a similar experience as well. These two companies continually iterate their touchscreen UIs plus we are so embedded into their respective phone, app, mail, and calendar ecosystems that the integration with their car-UI interfaces is fantastic.

I told my wife that we are not getting another new car that doesn't at least have these or at least a significantly better native infotainment system.
Old 01-11-18, 08:12 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

^^ Does the Android Auto in your Civic require you to plug the phone in via USB? My sister and brother in law have a Civic and use Apple CarPlay but they hate it. They don't like that it has to be plugged in to work and they don't like that you can't get a map without it. I haven't checked to see if there is some user error or not, but they are not happy with it at all.
Old 01-11-18, 08:17 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

So will it still work when the vehicle is in D? Last I checked, if my BT drops and I'm moving, I will have to stop in the middle of the highway to reconnect.
Old 01-11-18, 08:18 AM
kagete
Rookie

Hi, yes, unfortunately that is how the screen mirroring gets displayed onscreen. It's a small price to pay and arguably almost required anyway to ensure your phone doesn't die while using your cell data and showing your progress on google maps. Most everyone I know that uses Apple carplay is in love with it. Maybe not related but they also have Apple watches, which might mean that they are really immersed in the ecosystem and may be more willing to forgive minor inconveniences for the integration.

Yes, it will keep working while driving. If you want to say something to Google or Siri, you can use the existing steering wheel controls or even just speak out loud "Hey Google" that your phone will pick up. A good quick one is "Hey Google find a gas station" which will automatically suggest two to three gas stations that can be added as detours to your existing route.
Old 01-11-18, 08:22 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Thanks for the reply and explanation, kagete.
Old 01-11-18, 02:06 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing Alexa has over Google Assistant is in the support it enjoys from third-party home automation devices, which is a non-factor in a car. With the decision to go with Alexa Toyota/Lexus apparently continues to be fully committed to having the worst infotainment system in business.
Old 01-11-18, 02:39 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
The only thing Alexa has over Google Assistant is in the support it enjoys from third-party home automation devices, which is a non-factor in a car. With the decision to go with Alexa Toyota/Lexus apparently continues to be fully committed to having the worst infotainment system in business.
^^^ Ditto ^^^
Old 01-11-18, 05:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by kagete
I bought a Civic hatch for work-week commuting and Android Auto is definitely a game-changer. My wife and I can argue over what restaurant to eat dinner at, and read some yelp reviews on the phone or PC. Once we hop into the car, the home screen will have the last 3 searched restaurants suggested and two taps will have google or waze navigation automatically started.

If you have calendar appointments at locations such as a flight then the navigation to the airport will be auto-suggested at the home screen on startup as well. Home and Work daily routes are also presented which is great for knowing if you need to take an alternate route because of a crash somewhere.

Apple carplay offers a similar experience as well. These two companies continually iterate their touchscreen UIs plus we are so embedded into their respective phone, app, mail, and calendar ecosystems that the integration with their car-UI interfaces is fantastic.

I told my wife that we are not getting another new car that doesn't at least have these or at least a significantly better native infotainment system.
I was defending Toyota for a while on their decision not to include Android Auto or Apple Play. Then I tried out a new Civic Andy it was a game changer indeed. No questions asked, my next car will have this option. I would consider leaving the Toyota brand and trying out Honda for the first time in my life.
Old 01-11-18, 07:10 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
just such a hassle though, making sure the steering wheel buttons still work etc. the system match the factory speakers or swapping all those out too, not to mention the expense
I 100% agree with everything you said. It's expensive, it's risky (wheel controls, etc.), speakers, etc... But IMO, well worth it if one is keeping the vehicle for at least a few years.
Old 01-13-18, 05:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Doesn't Toyota already have Siri Eyes Free? What will Alexa do that Siri does not already?

I find it ironic that Toyota would not implement Android Auto (and Apple CarPlay until now) for privacy reasons, yet it will allow the interactive, always-listening, always-online Alexa. Android Auto collects a lot of vehicle and user data, which Toyota did not like. I assume that Toyota and Apple have now negotiated some less data that Apple CarPlay will collect in Toyotas.

Will there be some way to turn off Alexa?
likely reason for that is that Amazon likely signed an agreement with them on how they use Alexa data, while Google and Apple wont.

Alexa has the best ecosystem for smart/automated home by far, so it is definitely very interesting and nice addition... I consider it a way for them to put pressure on Google/Apple as well.

I am sure you will have to set it up first to use it.
Old 01-13-18, 05:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
likely reason for that is that Amazon likely signed an agreement with them on how they use Alexa data, while Google and Apple wont.
The Apple contract in regards to data collection has been negotiated, accepted, and signed by Lexus. 2019 ES is supposedly the first Lexus with CarPlay.
Old 01-13-18, 10:23 PM
kagete
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I was defending Toyota for a while on their decision not to include Android Auto or Apple Play. Then I tried out a new Civic Andy it was a game changer indeed. No questions asked, my next car will have this option. I would consider leaving the Toyota brand and trying out Honda for the first time in my life.
I felt the same way and it was a big factor in getting the Civic hatchback. I was thinking about an IS but our 2 year old NX's infotainment already feels ancient compared to Android auto. I will enjoy the lower payments for now and cross my fingers and hope that the next gen IS will eventually have Android auto as well.
Old 01-13-18, 10:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The Apple contract in regards to data collection has been negotiated, accepted, and signed by Lexus. 2019 ES is supposedly the first Lexus with CarPlay.
While u.s. es buyers may be a higher percentage (all those realtors with iphones ), globally iphone is only 20% of the market. No android auto = fail
Old 01-14-18, 11:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
thats good to know
Old 01-14-18, 11:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
While u.s. es buyers may be a higher percentage (all those realtors with iphones ), globally iphone is only 20% of the market. No android auto = fail
i wish it was that simple - my friend bought an Suzuki Vitara with Android Auto and none of our Android phones would work fine... I tried with two samsungs, my op3 and an sony.

If they signed agreement with Amazon and Apple, I am sure google will follow soon.

Quick Reply: Amazon Alexa coming to Toyota, Lexus cars