Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What are you looking to seeing out of Detroit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-18, 04:52 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Default What are you looking to seeing out of Detroit?

Christian wrote up a guide for the HP, titled "A Lexus Fan’s Guide to What Won’t Suck at Detroit," and while I think he nailed it, I feel like there's some stuff he's missing? What are you looking forward to seeing? It would obviously be awesome to see the new mid-engine Vette, but I don't think that's going to happen...
Old 01-08-18, 05:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

As to your question, IMO it's a little unclear. Is it what we will actually (or probably) be seeing, or what we would WANT to see that is not offered?

If the former, I'd have to agree with the mid-engine Corvette, if they show it. Also, the Cadillac XT4.....Cadillac is quite late to the party with a compact-size SUV.

If the latter.............I'd like to see three things.

First, REAL full size American luxury cars again....updated, of course, to 21st century standards. The present Continental, Lacrosse, Chrysler 300, and Cadillac CTS/CT6 are a step in the right direction, but still, IMO, a little short....though I'm generally satisfied wth my Lacrosse, and probably couldn't fit anything larger in our condo parking spaces.

SPECIFICALLY, I'd like to see a new modern, updated Buick Electra 225.....Might even trade my Lacrosse for one, if it would fit in my parking space.

Second, a new Road Runner. I was a BIG fan of the original car's bird-graphics, Beep-Beep horn, and other decals/features like the shaker hood-scoop and rainbow paint colors (particularly the lime green and purple). With the Plymouth name gone, they could use the Chrysler name for it.....just like they did with the Voyager, Crossfire, and Pacifica. And, although it is the same car mechanically as a new Road Runner would be, Dodge's Charger R/T and SRT, IMO, fail on two counts....first, they have four doors (instead of the proper two), and, second, of course, lack the Bird/Road-Runner personality.

Third, a TRUE modern squared-off Ford Bronco, Chevy Blazer, or Dodge Ramcharger SUV with the classic two doors instead of four. Ford got a lot of people excited when they announced the upcoming 2020 Bronco, along with several (unofficial) pictures of a sharp-looking prototype (below)....only to find, later, that it would be just another, slightly smaller four-door Explorer-clone.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-08-18 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-08-18, 05:51 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Mustang GT500
Old 01-08-18, 07:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Can’t wait for the Avalon.
Old 01-08-18, 07:54 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

What am I looking forward to seeing from the 2018 Detroit Autoshow?

I want to see the next-generation Avalon. I want to see if it will use the new, naturally-aspirated Dynamic Force 3.5-litre V6 engine (the twin-turbo version of this engine is in the LS 500).

I want to see the new Lexus LF-1 Limitless crossover.

I would like to see the new, next-generation ES (although not announced).

I would also like to see the next-generation RAV4 (again, not announced for Detroit), to see Toyota's direction for its future crossovers. Will they continue to resemble small trucks or will they start to be lower, sleeker and ever more car-like?
Old 01-08-18, 09:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Seeing Jill and Sulu mention the Avalon, I'll have to admit that will probably be something I'm looking forward to seeing, too. I was VERY disappointed with the last major re-design of the Avalon......only slightly less so with the 2016 mid-cycle refresh.
Old 01-08-18, 10:02 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd like to see the new Ford Bronco. And contrary to what Marshall said, I've heard it will be based on the Ranger pickup, so an honest to goodness body on frame truck with real 4wd capabilities.

The Mustang GT500 sounds awesome as well, supercharger on the already great GT350 motor, sounds like the engine the Ford GT should have had instead of the Ecoboost 6.

I'm also expecting a mid-engine Corvette concept, I still think the current C8 is a ways off, as the current C7 is only on model year #5. Corvette designs tend to stick around for a good long while. So I'd say mid-engined Corvette concept, what will be interesting is how close it will be to the actual C8 or if this is going to be some sort of crazy show car with no basis in reality.

Also looking forward to the full tech specs on the new GM trucks. I believe they're going to have all the trim levels and options represented at this show.
Old 01-08-18, 10:48 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

The Supra MKV, at long last. And the Subaru-spec Brembo brake package option for the Toyota 86. And a production version of either an MR2 or Celica GT-Four or the brilliant S-FR compact sports coupe-- so long as it's still RWD and keeps a 6-speed manual gearbox available for its probably 130hp engine.

Toyota selling an AWD V6 Camry would be nice, too but since that's a big ask I'll just take their selling the RWD Mark X sedan in the United States instead. Really, just any rear-drive Toyota sedan that would dissuade me from importing a vintage manual transmission 1JZ Chaser or Mark II.

For Lexus... hard to say, there. The LC500 is great in all regards. Maybe better styling for the LS500. A much lighter RC chassis with a manual + LSD option on the RC200t or RC350 to make me interested over a BMW 2 or 4 series or Cadillac ATS that both offer options I like.

I'd also love to see Toyota do something serious along the lines of a Wrangler competing FJ70-esque Land Cruiser and recognize that the Land Cruiser 200 is as big as a small studio apartment unit and not for everyone who likes off-road capable machines.

Also, in similar vein to what Nissan has done for their R32 Skyline GT-R's, I would like to see Toyota launch their own "heritage" parts program specifically for the Supra MKIV. And the SC300/Soarer while I'm at it but it is going to be very shortsighted of Toyota if they do not do this for the heritage and preservation of their Supra MKIV. Even Mazda has launched a similar program for their early gen Miatas.

There are plenty of things I'd like to see from other manufacturers but those are my honest thoughts on what Toyota and Lexus *should* be showing soon regardless of how those thoughts do or don't make it through a bean counter filter.
Old 01-08-18, 11:25 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Toyota selling an AWD V6 Camry would be nice, too but since that's a big ask I'll just take their selling the RWD Mark X sedan in the United States instead. Really, just any rear-drive Toyota sedan that would dissuade me from importing a vintage manual transmission 1JZ Chaser or Mark II.
If you want cheap turbocharged JZ inline six goodness from Japan, IMO the one to import is the Soarer. The styling still holds up to this day IMO, very unique looking car. The Chaser and Mark II are great cars as well, but if I'm going through the hassle of importing a JDM car I don't want something that looks like a Camry or ES300. I'd also say if you like the 80's styling and pop up headlights, the Mark III Supra R had the 1JZ-GTE under the hood as well, cool looking car but they were rather heavy and more of a GT car than all out sports car like the Mark IV Supra.

And yes I'd like to see Toyota make a Jeep Wrangler competitor. There is a huge 4wd Toyota enthusiast community that has nothing to buy if they want an SUV IMO, 4 Runner is too big and too expensive. The 200 series Land Cruiser and Lexus GX(Toyota Prado everywhere else) are way too expensive and too luxury oriented for this market. Even the current Tacoma has gotten a bit too big IMO, I always thought the 1st gen Tacoma trucks were about right sized, bigger than the 80's/90's Hilux but still handy and not too wide if you are going down a narrow trail.
Old 01-09-18, 06:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I'd like to see the new Ford Bronco. And contrary to what Marshall said, I've heard it will be based on the Ranger pickup, so an honest to goodness body on frame truck with real 4wd capabilities.
Yes....sorry if I was unclear on the earlier post (that sometimes happens). What I meant by "Explorer clone" was that it would simply have four doors like an Explorer, not necessarily be based on the same platform. You're correct that it will be on the Ranger's BOF platform...in fact, from what I understand (and from Ford's negotiations with the UAW for that project) it will be built in the same plant.

But....I agree with the purists. Offer at least a classic two-door version for those who want it. That shot of the blue prototype was dynamite in looks.
Old 01-09-18, 06:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=Aron9000;10076366
And yes I'd like to see Toyota make a Jeep Wrangler competitor. There is a huge 4wd Toyota enthusiast community that has nothing to buy if they want an SUV IMO, 4 Runner is too big and too expensive. The 200 series Land Cruiser and Lexus GX(Toyota Prado everywhere else) are way too expensive and too luxury oriented for this market. Even the current Tacoma has gotten a bit too big IMO, I always thought the 1st gen Tacoma trucks were about right sized, bigger than the 80's/90's Hilux but still handy and not too wide if you are going down a narrow trail.[/QUOTE]

Toyota has always been priced at a premium for their trucks and SUVs. In fact the current 4Runner is a bargain compared to the last gen model as the price in the US has been staying flat for a while.
Old 01-09-18, 07:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Toyota has always been priced at a premium for their trucks and SUVs. In fact the current 4Runner is a bargain compared to the last gen model as the price in the US has been staying flat for a while.
Can't necessarily be proved, but I strongly suspect that the continuing popularity of the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ford Explorer is keeping the price of the 4Runner down some. In the auto industry (as with business in general) there's little or no substitute for competition.
Old 01-09-18, 07:16 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Can't necessarily be proved, but I strongly suspect that the continuing popularity of the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ford Explorer is keeping the price of the 4Runner down some. In the auto industry (as with business in general) there's little or no substitute for competition.
Actually it can be. I don't think you have ever purchased a Toyota truck or SUV. I have purchased many. They usually are priced at a premium compared to the heavily rebated and discounted American trucks. The price of the 4runner like I have already said stayed current to the previous generation 4Runner. You should check the facts, the 4Runner start at $2000 more than the JGC, however the JGC has a very high max out price vs the 4Runner, but it also carries significant rebates and incentives vs a 4Runner that often times has none or minimal. Remember, GM and the rest of the American brands lead the industry with incentives and rebates, 21% for some Buick SUV's which is unheard of in Toyota and Honda culture.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-09-18 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-09-18, 07:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You should check the facts, the 4Runner start at $2000 more than the JGC, however the JGC has a very high max out price vs the 4Runner, but it also carries significant rebates and incentives vs a 4Runner that often times has none or minimal.
Compare the price range (in American dollars), though, of these two vehicles. JGCs, at least in factory pricing, run a huge selection of models and prices, from 30K all the way up to 86K. 4Runners, on the other hand, again with factory pricing, start about the same as a JGC (34K) but end at only 42K....less than half what a JGC Trackhawk does. Even mid-level JGCs run around 50K or so.....rebates aren't going to make up for that.
Old 01-09-18, 08:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Compare the price range (in American dollars), though, of these two vehicles. JGCs, at least in factory pricing, run a huge selection of models and prices, from 30K all the way up to 86K. 4Runners, on the other hand, again with factory pricing, start about the same as a JGC (34K) but end at only 42K....less than half what a JGC Trackhawk does. Even mid-level JGCs run around 50K or so.....rebates aren't going to make up for that.
Re-read what I said. Toyota has held their previous pricing from the last generation. The 4Runner at its price point is slightly higher to start with, that is where the premium comes in with no discounts at all. The American SUVs going much higher at the top end. Never was in dispute.

Quick Reply: What are you looking to seeing out of Detroit?